Windows 10: Cannot drag windows, highlight text, etc.

Discus and support Cannot drag windows, highlight text, etc. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 3040 Computer is up to date, drivers for Logitech keyboard and mouse are up to date. I've tried adjusting mouse and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dstars27, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Dstars27 Win User

Cannot drag windows, highlight text, etc.

Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 3040

Computer is up to date, drivers for Logitech keyboard and mouse are up to date.

I've tried adjusting mouse and keyboard settings, running the troubleshooter, etc. I restore the computer to 2/11/19 since it was working last week just fine but that didn't work either.

My MIL let me son pound all over my keyboard while I was gone over the weekend, the computer was locked but he must have hit some kind of combo to screw the computer up. I can double click and highlight a single word but I cant drag the cursor and highlight any more than that. I cannot drag anything - windows, files, text boxes, etc. This is occuring in all office programs, adobe programs, browsers - everything! I've looked at every help forum but none of the tricks Ive tried work, HELP!

:)

Dstars27, Feb 20, 2019

2. Can't Highlight words or links.

Hello Mokhy,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this topic.

Please reply:

• Are you not able to highlight the text or link by dragging the left click of the mouse?

• Do you get options when you left click on the link or sentence?

I suggest you to drag over the sentence or link by holding the left button of the mouse and check if the issue is resolved. Right click on the mouse to show a list of options to do with the highlighted sentence or link.

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance on the query. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Text highlight not sticking - Post Anniversary Update Issue

Immediately following the Anniversary Update, I have been experiencing issues with text highlighting.

Left click text highlighting rarely 'sticks', or stays highlighted after releasing the left mouse button.

Right click text highlighting doesn't highlight text at all.

I have tried using another mouse (different manufacturer) - same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks

P.s. I've tried some basic troubleshooting such as searching for updated drivers, restarting system, using another mouse (as mentioned)

rowlands111, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

No more "Search" on highlighted text?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused. There is no option to search on the highlighted text in Microsoft Edge. I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer so that you can use the search option on the highlighted text.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issue on Windows Operating System. We will be happy to help you.

Arul_D, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot drag windows, highlight text, etc. - Similar Threads - Cannot drag highlight

2. Highlighting Text is Opaque

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highlighting Text is Opaque: Hi,So recently I have been having an issue; whenever I'm highlighting anything on the desktop or in Windows Explorer, it turns an opaque yellow. It was my accent color but I changed it, and even then it is still yellow. When its restarted, the highlight color goes back to...
  3. Highlighting Text is Opaque

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highlighting Text is Opaque: Hi,So recently I have been having an issue; whenever I'm highlighting anything on the desktop or in Windows Explorer, it turns an opaque yellow. It was my accent color but I changed it, and even then it is still yellow. When its restarted, the highlight color goes back to...
  4. Cannot print highlighted text in emails.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot print highlighted text in emails.: Hello.Both my PC and notebook PCs just started having this issue. I cannot print any highlighted text in both outlook and Yahoo mail. I am not sure what the issue is. They both run on Chrome using a canon Ts9120 printer. Both have Bitdefender installed and both run Windows...
  5. Cannot print highlighted text in emails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot print highlighted text in emails.: Hello.Both my PC and notebook PCs just started having this issue. I cannot print any highlighted text in both outlook and Yahoo mail. I am not sure what the issue is. They both run on Chrome using a canon Ts9120 printer. Both have Bitdefender installed and both run Windows...
  6. Cannot print highlighted text in emails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    highlighting text: i cannot highlight text. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/highlighting-text/4fb85490-8e25-4846-9b6e-63123bc04d65
  8. Highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Highlighting text: I want to highlight some text in an existing email so that I can copy it and reuse it. But the cursor has changed to a hand symbol - not the usual arrow - and it won't let me highlight. How can I restore it to the normal configuration?...
  9. Can't highlight text

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't highlight text: Ever since a Windows 10 update a while back my mouse has not worked properly. I can't highlight text, or it highlights one word and jumps around. I've tried updating the driver and no luck. What is going on?!!...
  10. Windows Explorer - Preview Pane - Not allowing mouse (click and drag) highlighting of text...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer - Preview Pane - Not allowing mouse (click and drag) highlighting of text...: Previous versions of Windows (e.g. W7) would allow you, when previewing text files, to slide, select and highlight portions of text using only the mouse and it's buttons. Since moving to W10 (fresh install), that feature has been de-frocked. Now you can only use the...