Windows 10: Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

Discus and support Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jld4444, Oct 27, 2019.

1. jld4444 Win User

Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files.

It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on audio files so that my 14,000+ audio files organize correctly for playlists, etc., and I like good metadata on video files (.mp4 and .wmv) as good practice.

I have tried Properties > Details on individual files in File Explorer and several tag/metadata editors that have worked great for years. I've also tried some suggestions from forums like making sure proper permissions are granted, ensuring I'm signed in to Microsoft, and copying a file and trying to edit the copy. The files are not marked read-only, either.

Any ideas on what could have made the metadata/tags uneditable all of a sudden, and more importantly how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

:)

jld4444, Oct 27, 2019

2. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

It seems like the list is generated from existing tags or other metadata. So, if you're getting 'junk' suggestions, it's likely that some other file has that 'junk' data. So you need to locate those files with bad metadata & delete/edit it to 'good' information.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

I cannot find a way to delete/edit the autocomplete list displayed when editing the metadata on pictures. I get a list of previous entries (some of which are just plain junk) and would like to delete those as suggestions. I tried the steps with the following
    link and did not have any success. I do not have a AUTOCOMPLETE listing under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer".

The locked thread for a similar question under Windows Vista:

Edit autocomplete drop-down list for genre metadata in music files

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Z. Patton, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

Can't edit video metadata in Windows 10

Hi,

I just got a new phone and when I transferred all my old photos and videos over the metadata times were screwed up. I like things in order so I can see when it all happened, so I was able to edit the photos' dates in "Properties," but when I try to edit
    videos I get the following message:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to this file. If you continue to see this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0xC00D3E8E: The Property is read only."

However, the video I'm trying to edit is not checked as read only so I don't know why it's saying this. I've tried numerous software to try to edit video metadata with no luck. If anyone has a way around this, please offer suggestions.

Haleym0006, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

1. Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files - Similar Threads - Cannot edit metadata

2. Cannot edit .mp4 metadata Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot edit .mp4 metadata Windows 10: Hello,I have downloaded several YouTube videos and I have them stored on an external hard drive. I would like to organize them a little better by editing their tags, genres, and ratings. However, when I go into the properties and edit these categories, I will get the pop-up...
  3. Cannot edit .mp4 metadata Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot edit .mp4 metadata Windows 10: Hello,I have downloaded several YouTube videos and I have them stored on an external hard drive. I would like to organize them a little better by editing their tags, genres, and ratings. However, when I go into the properties and edit these categories, I will get the pop-up...
  4. Cannot edit .mp4 metadata Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to change metadata of video file

Unable to change metadata of video file: I have an .mkv file and if I right click it and select Properties -> Details, I am unable to edit the "Title" or "Comment" field. I own the file and have full permissions. I've disabled inheritance, but no matter what I do I cannot edit the metadata of this file.What do I...
  6. Unable to change metadata of video file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change metadata of video file: I have an .mkv file and if I right click it and select Properties -> Details, I am unable to edit the "Title" or "Comment" field. I own the file and have full permissions. I've disabled inheritance, but no matter what I do I cannot edit the metadata of this file.What do I...
  7. Unable to change metadata of video file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot Edit Video Nor Audio Metadata of .mp4 Video Files in Windows 10 64-Bit Version on a...

Cannot Edit Video Nor Audio Metadata of .mp4 Video Files in Windows 10 64-Bit Version on a...: Hi, I have some .mp4 video files that I cannot seem to change the video and audio metadata, which I have downloaded from the Internet, even though I want to change the video and audio metadata because the video and audio metadata is currently blank there meaning that...
  9. How to edit or add Metadata to Photos & Video files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to edit or add Metadata to Photos & Video files in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If your photo or video doesn’t have the proper metadata, you can add or edit them in Windows 10. Here is how to add Metadata […] This article How to edit or add Metadata to Photos & Video files in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Can't edit video metadata in Windows 10

Can't edit video metadata in Windows 10: Hi, I just got a new phone and when I transferred all my old photos and videos over the metadata times were screwed up. I like things in order so I can see when it all happened, so I was able to edit the photos' dates in "Properties," but when I try to edit videos I get the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant edit metadata windows 10