Windows 10: Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Discus and support Cannot eject safely usb external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Motim, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Hello,
    The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to live with it until some solution, however I want to start using it, which brings me to some qurstions. I re-formated the whole partition, nothing copied to it yet,
    From the file explorer when I click properties I see there are already 220 MB on the disk, pls see attached screenshot
    Cannot eject safely usb external drive [​IMG]

In Disk Management I see unalocated space 2 MB but the whole partition is Blue, pls see screenshots attached.
    Some explanations please.

And finaly, if you have any ideas to solve the ejecting safely, pls notify me.
    Thanks for answers and explanations.

:)

Motim, Mar 2, 2017

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Mar 2, 2017
  3. CF1234 Win User
    I Am Unable to Safely Remove My USB External Hard Drive

Hi,

More often than not (around 19/20) when I try to safely remove my external USB hard drive, I am unable to do so.

In order to safely remove it I:

1. click on the up arrow in the bottom right of the screen to show hidden icons.

2. click on Eject Expansion Desk.

3. then a popup appears saying there is a problem ejecting the hard drive. (See image attached).

So, how can I safely remove my external USB hard drive? It is plugged into my laptop, and my laptop is no longer portable as I cannot move it as the hard drive is connected, and cannot be safely ejected.

Also, when I go to File Explorer and right click on the hard drive, there is no option to Eject. So, this is not an alternative option to safely remove it.

My laptop is using Windows 10.

Thanks for your help.

CF1234, Mar 2, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Windows leaves a small amount of unallocated space at the beginning and end of hard drives that it can use in special formatting circumstances (like dynamic disks). This is normal for the Windows environment, but not for Linux or Apple systems.

Best to leave it as is.

5. directly plugin out your usb flash drive, it will be ok.

rickchristine, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot eject safely usb external drive - Similar Threads - Cannot eject safely

2. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  3. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  4. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  6. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  7. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: I am unable to "Safe Eject" my USB drive. Windows 10 tells me it cannot eject because programs are using it. I quit all programs and still it will not eject. If I log out completely and then log back in it STILL will not eject. I have to shut down the computer...
  8. EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY

in Windows 10 Customization
    EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY: When I try to eject the external drive from my laptop, I get the following message: "This device is currently in use. Close any program or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I tried to clear the message by checking over and over if any program or...
  9. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive: Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition. On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file....
  10. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive: I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an...