Windows 10: Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

Discus and support Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10, trying to get my SSD switched to AHCI from IDE after I have already installed windows on it. I currently have it connected to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dontcounttoday, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

I am running Windows 10, trying to get my SSD switched to AHCI from IDE after I have already installed windows on it. I currently have it connected to SATA port 6. I have several other regular hard drives on SATA0-4.

Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation [​IMG]

Picture of my BIOS options and motherboard info

I have tried a couple of the methods, including editing the registry and using command prompt. Both can be found in this other thread Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation..

Editing the registry didn't do a thing. When I attempt the command prompt method, I get a BSOD upon re-starting after changing to AHCI.

I'm also not even 100% sure which values I should be changing to AHCI in my BIOS. From what my MB guide shows, I would think I have my boot SSD in GSATA3_6 as that is a 6gb SATA connection, based on the BIOS options available. However most people suggested using SATA0 for their boot drive, though I am guessing they have a newer MB than me. This was the only value I was switching over from IDE to AHCI.

I am unsure if I should be switching any other values, or if it would make a difference. Such as eSATA ctrl mode or SATA3 Firmware Selection.

I am getting terrible benchmarks on IDE with my SSD so I would really like to figure out what is going on here.

:)

Dontcounttoday, Jul 13, 2019

2. Is AHCI enabled?

Hi Shumitra,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

Windows uses AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) by default, but it may not be enabled if your BIOS wasn't set properly during installation of the operating system.

Follow the steps below to check if ACHI is enabled properly.

a. Press Windows + X.

b. Select Device manager.

c. Click the arrow next to "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" to display the list of controller drivers currently used by your system.

d. Check for an entry that contains the acronym "AHCI." If an entry exists, and there is no yellow exclamation mark or red "X" over it, then AHCI mode is properly enabled. If
    you don't see an "AHCI" entry, or the only entry contains a red or yellow mark, then there's a problem and AHCI mode is not properly enabled.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Enabling AHCI on Windows 7 systems with AMD

the driver that comes with windows isnt really good.
    the one that comes with the motherboard shows the real performance, well, thats what i have heard.

de.das.dude, Jul 13, 2019
  4. claylomax Win User

Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

Enabling AHCI on Windows 7 systems with AMD

I forgot to install the AHCI driver during my last Windows intallation and now I want to enable AHCI mode.
    Do I need the driver to enable AHCI mode in the bios? and what happens if I enable AHCI mode without the driver?
    What's the difference with the AHCI driver my motherboard ships with?

claylomax, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

1. Cannot enable AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation - Similar Threads - Cannot enable AHCI

2. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?: Hi everyone. I have been trying to install Linux which requires AHCI mode so that I can use both Windows and Linux in my system. I looked up on internet but none of the solutions worked. I changed my driver from Device Manager and rebooted my device, after which I saw endless...
  3. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?: Hi everyone. I have been trying to install Linux which requires AHCI mode so that I can use both Windows and Linux in my system. I looked up on internet but none of the solutions worked. I changed my driver from Device Manager and rebooted my device, after which I saw endless...
  4. How to reinstall windows 10 and have AHCI mode enabled with it?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Installing Windows 10 on AHCI enabled SSD directly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on AHCI enabled SSD directly: Hi Microsoft Community. I'm having a hard time as to why I cannot install my Windows 10 directly when i have enabled AHCI on my BIOS. Is there anyway we can get through or around that? I've seen some posts regarding that issue but the fact that it goes through coding on...
  6. How to enable AHCI in Windows 10 after Installation

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable AHCI in Windows 10 after Installation: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Current MOBOs (motherboards) will have AHCI enabled in UEFI or BIOS by default. Some older motherboards may have IDE enabled by default instead. If you want to install Windows using AHCI instead of IDE, then you’ll need to have AHCI [...] This post How to...
  7. Windows 10 refusing to work with AHCI mode Enabled on Samsung SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 refusing to work with AHCI mode Enabled on Samsung SSD: So I have windows 7 working with AHCI support, Samsung telling me T.R.I.M is enabled. I use that as my control. I want to dual boot. SSD is set, so I install windows 10 on a separate HDD and the only way to do that is to put the bios on IDE mode because im installing windows...
  8. Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation.

Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation.: Hello everybody. What started out as a request for guidance ended up with me solving my own problem. Thought I may as well pass on my findings anyway just in case it helps somebody else in the same situation. So over the weekend, through a series of upgrades, I...
  9. Is AHCI enabled?

Is AHCI enabled?: Hello. I got my hp Z800 a Samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb installed. I also got the Samsung magician software (Current version). It's says that AHCI is not enabled, but when I go to the bios it shows that AHCI is enabled. I attached some pictures for you. Windows Problems –...
  10. Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation: How to: Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation How to Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) makes NCQ (Native Command Queuing) along with hot-plugging or hot swapping through SATA...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to Enable AHCI in Windows 10 after Installation?