Windows 10: Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

Discus and support Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am using win10 enterprise 20h2. I am trying to enable protection for USB drives through the settings that make a drive read only if not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bendre, Apr 21, 2021.

1. bendre Win User

Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

Hi,

I am using win10 enterprise 20h2.

I am trying to enable protection for USB drives through the settings that make a drive read only if not encrypted by Bitlocker. This is supposed to offer a pop-up to enable Bitlocker for the drive if you're an administrator on the machine.

Since this didn't happen I tried to turn on bitlocker manually, but doing the right click-enable bitlocker gives me "Can't encrypt the drive. Access is denied."
    Using manage-bde in an administrative command prompt also gives me "ERROR: An attempt to access a required resource was denied. Check that you have administrative rights on the computer."

Now perhaps some other applied policies or bitlocker settings may conflict but not sure where to begin. Google sorry,, bing... didn't really give me useful information.

Anyone has an idea what may cause this?

:)

bendre, Apr 21, 2021

2. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Apr 21, 2021
  3. rda62 Win User
    How to enable Bitlocker for Fixed Drives?

Hi All,

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, Bitlocker (without TPM) is enabled and working for Removable drives, as well as the OS Drive.

I have an additional 2TB internal SATA drive that Bitlocker does not see. I do not get the option to enable Bitlocker, in the right click context menu for the drive.

If I go to Manage Bitlocker, the drive is not listed as a fixed data drive. It's not listed at all.

There is nothing wrong with the drive itself. In its current unencrypted state, I have data stored on it, and can access, read and write to all of the drives contents.

I've checked through the bitlocker group policy options, and I've googled this to death. Any help, short of a format/reload would be greatly appreciated.

rda62, Apr 21, 2021
  4. Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

1. Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive - Similar Threads - Cannot enable Bitlocker

2. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking: I have Two BitLocker-enabled USB flash drives attached to my Windows 10 Pro PC. Both require me to enter the recovery key each time I rebook to PC, which I think is normal. However, one of them locks from time to time without rebooting, requiring me to enter the recovery key...
  3. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking: I have Two BitLocker-enabled USB flash drives attached to my Windows 10 Pro PC. Both require me to enter the recovery key each time I rebook to PC, which I think is normal. However, one of them locks from time to time without rebooting, requiring me to enter the recovery key...
  4. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot enable BitLocker - "The data is invalid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable BitLocker - "The data is invalid": Hi there,I am trying to encrypt my desktop PC's drive with BitLocker and I can get as far as the PIN entry screen, but after entering my PIN and pressing next, I get an error message that simply says 'The data is invalid'. I have tried clearing my TPM several times, to no...
  6. Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information: I try to enable BitLocker on my system drive "C:" but got following error. How to resolve it? Thanks, have a nice day.I have multiple SSD, the Volume 2 contains bootloader, the Volume 3,4 is the C: drive....
  7. Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information: I try to enable BitLocker on my system drive "C:" but got following error. How to resolve it? Thanks, have a nice day.I have multiple SSD, the Volume 2 contains bootloader, the Volume 3,4 is the C: drive....
  8. Cannot enable Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot enable Bitlocker: When I go to enable Bitlocker on an HP laptop with Windows 10 Pro, I get an error message that says "The data is invalid". I've tried the reset this PC option in Windows and removed everything but files without any luck. The laptop was previously encrypted with VeraCrypt...
  9. Bitlocker USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker USB Drive: Hi, I recently Bitlocked my USB flash drive for security purposes. But now when I attempt to open my USB, it simply says "Location not available" "D:\ is not accessible" "Access is denied." Please help....
  10. Cannot enable BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot enable BitLocker: Hi all, I need help with drive encryption. The BitLocker keeps giving me an error with a message "The startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly. Contact your system administrator for more information". [ATTACH] I have attempted everything I could on my...