Windows 10: Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos

Discus and support Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, last week I was trying to boot a device from USB and so I tried entering the boot menu while turning on the PC. I was unable to do so regardless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SimoneBaglivi, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos

Hi, last week I was trying to boot a device from USB and so I tried entering the boot menu while turning on the PC.

I was unable to do so regardless of my attempts (even using a different keyboard and plugging it to the top-left port as I've seen suggested on some other threads). I thought this could be a problem with me having fast boot enabled so I looked up how to disable it with the PC turned on and did so but to no avail.

Afterwards, I tried entering the bios through the advanced start-up function, it worked but inside the bios menu my peripherals were not working.

Again, I tried unplugging and switching them but the problem would not go away. What did solve it was resetting my CMOS by removing the battery in the motherboard. Today I wanted to lower the frequency of some fans and the aforementioned problems occured once more.

While I don't need to access my bios options daily I feel like having to take out the battery every time I need to change a setting is an unexpected behaviour, does anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

I wanted to add that once the PC turns on there are no symptoms of anything being wrong not with the system itself nor with my mouse or keyboard,

I also checked my motherboard power connectors and they both seem to be plugged-in correctly.

:)

SimoneBaglivi, Mar 19, 2019
  2. sizzla Win User

impossible to enter in the bios

windows starts but this is to enter the bios that is impossible, the screen remains black when I press the del key and I have to force to make a reset in order to start Windows

sizzla, Mar 19, 2019
  3. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

Many laptops/tablets hide or eliminate the BIOS reset jumper. It's not there or not marked as such. Not like it is on a desktop PC. Mainly to prevent a thief from easily resetting the BIOS/Boot password and getting access. Even removing the BIOS battery will prevent those settings from being reset. Other settings like boot order etc will be returned to defaults though when you remove the CMOS battery. Every laptop I've disassembled has had a CMOS battery, Usually its several batteries in a pack to prolong their effective life. Replacing them can be a real PITA.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos

BIOS fast boot mistake

Are you saying that you cannot enter BIOS at all, or
    you cannot enter BIOS to install Linux?

If you cannot enter BIOS, then your only choice is to reset CMOS

1. Shut down your machine

2. Disconnect the AC jack & remove the battery

3. Press and hold the Power button for two full minutes to drain the charge

4. Insert the battery and connect the AC jack

5. Start your machine

Slartybart, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos

1. Cannot enter a working bios without resetting cmos - Similar Threads - Cannot enter working

2. Cannot enter Savemode - PIN not working cannot enter any

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enter Savemode - PIN not working cannot enter any: HiI can normal login into windows 11 with no issuesBut when i try to enter Safe mode , Windows says, something is wrong with the pin and I cannot enter any. Just can click to make a new PIN, but this also does not work. Windows wants after 2 tries to load an app from the app...
  3. Cannot enter Savemode - PIN not working cannot enter any

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enter Savemode - PIN not working cannot enter any: HiI can normal login into windows 11 with no issuesBut when i try to enter Safe mode , Windows says, something is wrong with the pin and I cannot enter any. Just can click to make a new PIN, but this also does not work. Windows wants after 2 tries to load an app from the app...
  4. Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...: Hello, I've completely wrecked basically the entire drive and via diskpart clean and several formats, converts, and more. Now I'm trying to reinstall windows or any operating system, but can't boot to USB and can't turn off secure boot because this machine has an admin...
  5. Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...

Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...: Hello, I've completely wrecked basically the entire drive and via diskpart clean and several formats, converts, and more. Now I'm trying to reinstall windows or any operating system, but can't boot to USB and can't turn off secure boot because this machine has an admin...
  6. BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset

BSODs after CMOS reset and factory reset: In May this year I bought a second hand custombuilt pc, and after a few months it started getting BSODs pretty often. I tried tweaking some bios settings, most of the time lowering the dram frequency would fix it for a couple of days but the same problem would come back soon...
  7. cannot access advanced boot to enter bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot access advanced boot to enter bios: I have tried multiple methods of entering advanced boot so I can change settings in bios but every time I try I'm left with a black screen. I've tried doing it direct through windows settings, holding left shift and restarting, and using command prompt but every time I'm left...
  8. cannot access advanced boot to enter bios

cannot access advanced boot to enter bios: I have tried multiple methods of entering advanced boot so I can change settings in bios but every time I try I'm left with a black screen. I've tried doing it direct through windows settings, holding left shift and restarting, and using command prompt but every time I'm left...
  9. Cannot enter BIOS and/or boot menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter BIOS and/or boot menu: Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help me with a little situation that I'm having... So I want to do a complete fresh install of Windows 10, but I'm having major difficulties. I have used the Windows Media Creation Tool to make my bootable Windows 10 USB but I...
  10. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?: Hey guys, So, I have this friend who messed up the BIOS settings on his Acer Aspire 5745G and now the laptop turns on but it's just a black screen. He said that he switched from his onboard video to his discreet video card and that's when the problem occurred. I know I can...