Windows 10: Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

Discus and support Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search in Cortana to solve the problem; I've looked at so many sets of instructions about how to re-enable the search fields in Windows 10 Search and File Explorer. The most useful looking... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by ROGERBRUNER1, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

I've looked at so many sets of instructions about how to re-enable the search fields in Windows 10 Search and File Explorer. The most useful looking one said to uninstall "Update for Microsoft Windows KB4551762" and gave great directions--almost. That update isn't listed in the "Uninstall Updates" pop up. Is there something else I can uninstall instead? Or is there a newer and better solution? Many thanks. No telling how many hours I've spent on this problem.

:)

ROGERBRUNER1, Jun 24, 2021

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jun 24, 2021
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jun 24, 2021
  4. Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

Windows File Explorer Search

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having issue in File explorer search option. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply
    with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Windows 10 Version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)

• Have you tried restarting your computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to refer these methods and check.

Method 1:
    Restore File Explorer to default.

1. Open
      File Explorer and click on View tab from the top.

2. Click the arrow below
      Options and select Change folder and search options.

3. Under
      General tab, click on Restore Defaults.
    4. Click
      Ok and relaunch File Explorer.

Method 2:Run Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file tool

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:
    Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Method 3: Fix problems in Windows Search

Please refer the suggestion as mentioned in this article for troubleshooting the issue:

Fix problems in Windows Search

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search

1. Cannot Enter in Windows Search or File Explorer Search - Similar Threads - Cannot Enter Search

2. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  6. Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.

Search Tool in Windows File Explorer - Enter key does not execute search.: Hi team, I have the below issue which is exclusive to Windows File Explorer only:Whenever I need to search for a file or text in a document/folder I use CTRL + F, type the text/file name and press the enter key to execute the search.This chain of commands works in all...
  7. Windows search & file explorer search not working

Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  8. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  9. Cannot enter the "Search" field

in Cortana
    Cannot enter the "Search" field: Window 10 Pro w Office 365Trying to use the left mouse key to enter the search field on the taskbar but nothing happens and cannot do a search. The left mouse button does work on other apps,...
  10. Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search: Hey,My windows 10 search bar bottom left and file explorer search bar are both not working properly, I cannot type into these boxes, however, I can copy and paste into them by right click and then paste but NOT by ctrl+v. I have tried many fixes for this but I am yet to find...