Windows 10: Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

Discus and support Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 1909 Hi Folks, I am trying to export my EFS certificate as a backup, however I am having no joy. Note: I can encrypt and decrypt... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SuperPlay-UK, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

Windows 10 Pro

Hi Folks,

I am trying to export my EFS certificate as a backup, however I am having no joy.

Note: I can encrypt and decrypt files using EFS no problem using my account.

Trying in Certificate Manger:

certmgr.exe As Administrator
    Personal / Certificates
    Right click the EFS cert / Export

The option to export the private key is greedy out, with a note:

The associated private key is marked as not exportable. Only the certificate can be exported

Using cipher.exe:

cipher /x c:\temp\EFSCertBack

Error: Key not valid for use in specified state.

Before I decrypt all of my EFS files and start a fresh any ideas?

Cheers

:)

SuperPlay-UK, Jun 28, 2020

2. EFS Backup keys

Thanks BullDogXX

I performed a full encrypted backup just in case but there was no problem. Now I need to know if the previous backup EFS certificate is still good. I was going to back them up again under Windows 10 but when I follow the recommended procedure...

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/back-up-efs-certificate#1TC=windows-7)

and try to expert the private key, the option is greyed out out and the message says the private key is marked as non exportable.

DavidLewis111, Jun 28, 2020
  3. how do I export certificates and/or private keys?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to export a certificate with a private key

1. Open the Certificates console for the user, computer, or service you want to manage.

2. In the console pane, select the certificate store and container holding the certificate that you want to export.

3. In the details pane, click the certificate you want to export.

4. On the Action menu, point to
    All Tasks, and then click Export.

5. In the Certificate Export Wizard, click
    Yes, export the private key. (This option will appear only if the private key is marked as exportable and you have access to the private key.)

6. Under Export File Format, do one or all of the following, and then click
    Next.

• To include all certificates in the certification path, select the
      Include all certificates in the certification path if possible check box.
    • To enable strong protection, select the Enable strong protection (requires IE 5.0, NT 4.0 SP4 or above) check box.
    • To delete the private key if the export is successful, select the
      Delete the private key if the export is successful
      check box.
    7.In Password, type a password to encrypt the private key you are exporting. In
    Confirm password, type the same password again, and then click
    Next

8. In File name, type a file name and path for the PKCS #12 file that will store the exported certificate and private key, click
    Next, and then click Finish.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

How find Private key of EFS?

Hi VijayKumhar,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Follow these steps to back up the private key using the Command Prompt as the option ‘export the private key’ is not available.

1. Open CMD or Command Prompt in Admin mode.
    2. Type ‘cipher /x "%UserProfile%\Desktop\EFSCertificates".
    3. You will now get a prompt confirming if you are sure if you want to back up the certificates associated to your files encrypted with EFS Encryption. Click on OK.
    4. It will work as you to enter a password to protect your .PRX file from unauthorized users. Enter the password and hit Enter.
    5. Now, enter the same password to confirm it and then hit Enter.
    Once this is done, a file by name ‘EFSCertificates.PRX’ will be saved on to your Desktop.

Further, if you still face issues, suggest you to post your question in the
    TechNet Windows 10 IT Pro Security where we have support professionals who are
    well equipped with the knowledge and skill to handle queries regarding EFS Certificates issue.

We look forward for your response.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key

1. Cannot Export / Backup my EFS certificate private key - Similar Threads - Cannot Export Backup

2. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates* I went to the Control Panel* Security Online Backup* I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  3. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates* I went to the Control Panel* Security Online Backup* I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  4. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure.: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates* I went to the Control Panel* Security Online Backup* I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  5. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure.

Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys; Signing in to backup failure.: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates* I went to the Control Panel* Security Online Backup* I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  6. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys. Signing in to backup failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys. Signing in to backup failure: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates- I went to the Control Panel- Security Online Backup- I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  7. Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys. Signing in to backup failure

Windows Vista; Backup EFS Certificates and Recovery Keys. Signing in to backup failure: How can I backup my Recovery Keys and EFS Certificates- I went to the Control Panel- Security Online Backup- I tried signing in yes I used an app password,and it just keeps saying username and password incorrect.I know that operating systems older than Windows 8 require app...
  8. Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -: Hi,I cannot access my encrypted files because the encryption certificate changed. I can still see it in the certificate manager but I cannot export it in Pfx file to install it again only in CER format....
  9. How find Private key of EFS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How find Private key of EFS?: When I encrypted my file, System don't ask any private key for it. But now I can't found my private key for decrypt encrypt file. Export of EFS Certificate, when show it-- [ATTACH] So now how export private key?...
  10. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. efs cert private not exported

2. unable export efs certificate