Windows 10: Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

Discus and support Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Updated to latest version of Creator's Update (15063.250), when I try to export a custom start menu layout for use on other Windows 10 workstations I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wscsuperfan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

Updated to latest version of Creator's Update (15063.250), when I try to export a custom start menu layout for use on other Windows 10 workstations I get an error.

Under PowerShell (admin) I run: export-startlayout -path c:\teststart.xml

I get the following in return:

Code: export-startlayout : Element not found. Thrown exception in StartTileData.dll At line:1 char:1 + export-startlayout -path c:\teststart.xml +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703 :)) [Export-StartLayout], COMException + FullyQualifiedErrorID : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,Microsoft.Windows.StartLayout.Commands.ExportStartLayoutCommand[/quote] Worked with the previous build of Win 10 just fine.

:)

wscsuperfan, Apr 26, 2017
  2. RiftonY. Win User

After "Creators Update" - Start Tiles reset, CMD window text "squished"

I have found this article, I think I'm going to make work of my start menu again *sigh* and export it following it in xml.

Customize and export Start layout (Windows 10)

I hoped it was stored somewhere, I too hope that someone will save the day and say that it stored somewhere.

RiftonY., Apr 26, 2017
  3. how can I use windows 10 start menu with most used applications along the windows tiles

Well I am used to the build 1151 and it had much better menu layout than 1703 and 1607. i wonder if they cant be grouped in Start menu tabs

Tab Most Recent/Most Used+Tiles

Tab:App List

PontiacGTX., Apr 26, 2017
  4. Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

So apparently the error is because I had all tiles unpinned to have a "Win 7" style start menu. Once I added back one tile, I was able to export the startmenu layout. I'd really like to not have any tiles at all for all users. What would be my options?

wscsuperfan, Apr 26, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Hi wscsuperfan and welcome to Tenforums

Thanks for posting about solution to your problem. You can mark thread as solved, so other users can see it right away.

AndreTen, Apr 27, 2017
  6. First of all look into "MDT", if you have not switched to it for imaging then do so asap. (unless your using SCCM which MDT integrates into for imagin). To answer your question when you make your image use the local administrator account. Add NO other accounts to the machine while your make your image. Make all "default user" settings the way you want them including explorer folder layout, startmenu etc... after sysprep and imaging, when you go to push your image set the "copyprofile" flag to true in your unattended.xml file and the administrator profile defaults will be applied correctly to the default user profile.

I will edit for a small note, taskbar pins do not transfer with default user settings, they have to be handled in a different way.

aerossignol, Jul 18, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you don't want tiles, and prefer a Win 7 style start menu, why not get a fully functional start menu for free that is the best of Win 7 + XP and then some? Classic Shell start menu. It just works.

Proper search configuration options, configurable, supports drag 'n drop, search, launches apps, handles large deeply nested start menus - Win 10's doesn't - etc..

You can still launch Win 10's start menu, and you only have to close it to be back to Win 10 as is.

You can configure it as Win 7's, or have it expand in columns across the screen.

Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703 [​IMG]

Yes that's win 10- I pinched the orb for use by CS start menu.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

1. Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703 - Similar Threads - Cannot export custom

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. MSKLC Keyboard Layout Creator cannot export custom Japanese keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSKLC Keyboard Layout Creator cannot export custom Japanese keyboard layouts: Hello,I have created a custom Japanese keyboard layout using MSKLC that supports symbols and characters common in other languages. But attempting to export my custom layout results in error messages like:Warning 1009 ..\.\tmpjpn1337.txt, line 75: A new scancode is being...
  5. Customizing the Start Layout file.

Customizing the Start Layout file.: Hello guys, hoping for a bit of assistance. We have Windows 10 1809 build LTSC, which I am currently writing policies for. One of the policies is customizing the start layout - specifically pinning items to the task bar. I want to keep the start menu free of any live tiles,...
  6. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  7. Start Menu cannot be customized

Start Menu cannot be customized: While running the newest Insider build (10532) I do not see an option to customize the Start Menu. What I wanted was when right-clicking and seeing the list having "Devices & Printers" listed as an option. As it is not there, there is also no apparent way to add it...? 20020
  8. Export Start Menu Layout (Tile Arrangement) without PS ? Help...

in Windows 10 Support
    Export Start Menu Layout (Tile Arrangement) without PS ? Help...: I want to export my Start Menu layout to another (local) account. However, when using Powershell's Import-StartLayout, I receive an 'access denied' error, it seems that the command tries to access the (hidden) C:\Users\Default folder as I set C:\ as -MountPath, perhaps...
  9. Cannot See Build 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot See Build 1703: I'm on Windows 10 x64 1607 and my PC will not go any further. My server is on 1703, but my Desktop refuses to see it, even when checking for updates. I also tried to install manually, but I get an error that update not applicable to this PC. Thanks 95203
  10. Cannot Customize Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Customize Start Menu: Hello all, I have looked throughout the forums and I cannot seem to find an answer to my problem, or anyone else with the same problem. I just downloaded and installed Windows 10 between last night and this morning. Everything was going great, until now. For some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thrown exception in starttiledata.dll

2. must install export-startlayout