Windows 10: Cannot extract documents + other files from external SSD

Discus and support Cannot extract documents + other files from external SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Good evening, I have inserted the SSD from my Asus UX430UA to a drive caddy, which I connected to an older Samsung laptop. The Asus motherboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BLPIN, Aug 7, 2019.

1. BLPIN Win User

Cannot extract documents + other files from external SSD

Good evening,

I have inserted the SSD from my Asus UX430UA to a drive caddy, which I connected to an older Samsung laptop. The Asus motherboard crashed recently, hence the necessity to tranfer the files from my Asus to the Samsung, until the Asus is repaired. Both laptops run under Windows 10. I would like to extract confidentials documents (word, excel, and PowerPoint, mostly), and my photos, to transfer them on this laptop and on the usual The Cie SSD I use for backups, before I send the Asus off for repairs.

However, I only see those main folders on the SSD :

AppData
    Brother
    eSupport
    Program Files (x86)
    PerfLogs
    Users
    Windows

I looked everywhere in secondary folders, and can't find the documents, or photos. I know they are there, of course, but how can I procede to get them, please? Sorry if this looks like a silly question...

Thx in advance for your reply,

B.

:)

BLPIN, Aug 7, 2019
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Aug 7, 2019
  4. DCEd Win User

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

To try and keep a long story as short as possible:

I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro.

To complete the installation I have downloaded:
    - install.esd and converted it to install.wim
    - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft
    - Boot Camp drivers from Apple

The final piece of the puzzle is to complete this step:

• Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)

This is to complete this final stage of the installation:

Step 3: Deploy the Windows installation image

1. Still using the command prompt in admin mode (you didn't close it, did you? *Wink ), locate the imagex.exe file mentioned in the "What you'll need" section and access its folder. In our example, we have put this file in C:\imagex\imagex.exe
    2. Your Windows installation ISO has probably several installation options in it. So in order to identify the right one, type in the following:imagex.exe /info C:\wim\install.wim
    3. Now identify the INDEX number of the installation that you wish to deploy. You will use it in the next step.
    4. Type the following and hit enter. Replace 1 with the INDEX you identified in the previous step. Also remember to replace o: with the letter you have chosen in the previous step:imagex.exe /apply C:\wim\install.wim 1 o:
      This will take some time. The Windows installation image is being deployed to your external drive
    5. Once done, type the following to create the boot section (remember to replace o: and b: with the letters you've chosen in the previous step)Cannot extract documents + other files from external SSD :eek::\windows\system32\bcdboot o:\windows /f ALL /s b:

I'm doing this on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.
      I've also purchased a genuine license for Windows 10 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DCEd, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot extract documents + other files from external SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot extract documents

2. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External ssd file recovery: Hi there, hoping you can help. I have a laptop with an M2 sata ssd. A recent windows update caused certain programs to cease working. I attempted to fix the issue, but somehow managed to lock my user account out of the drive. I bought a replacement ssd and installed windows...
  3. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External ssd file recovery: Hi there, hoping you can help. I have a laptop with an M2 sata ssd. A recent windows update caused certain programs to cease working. I attempted to fix the issue, but somehow managed to lock my user account out of the drive. I bought a replacement ssd and installed windows...
  4. Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD: So I recently got a new laptop and I removed my OLD ssd from previous laptop because It had many files stored in desktop ad download folder which I thought I will copy to my new laptop. I got an external SSD case and connected the ssd but I cant find any desktop and documents...
  5. Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD: So I recently got a new laptop and I removed my OLD ssd from previous laptop because It had many files stored in desktop ad download folder which I thought I will copy to my new laptop. I got an external SSD case and connected the ssd but I cant find any desktop and documents...
  6. External ssd from walmart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External ssd from walmart: I am running Windows 7 that is sp3 and fully up to date. I have 2 internal ssd my files and movies where playing just fine on them and i even had some stored on a micro sd card attached to a card reader adapter and even then no problems. Except running out of space.I bought a...
  7. Extracting files from a BIN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extracting files from a BIN file: I am using a USB thumb drive to update a Samsung soundbar. The Samsung download is a zip file. I have to extract that and copy to the thumb drive. I can extract the zip file which becomes a BIN file. That is still a compressed file and the soundbar won't read that. How do I...
  8. Cannot Extract Files: Error 0x8007007F

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Extract Files: Error 0x8007007F: I receive the error 0x8007007F when I attampt to extract zipped files. I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 Build 18329.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extract-files-error-0x8007007f/2d468dfa-56a5-46c0-8324-116c473dfdd8
  9. Cannot copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot copy files from external drive: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...
  10. Extract Icon from File in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Extract Icon from File in Windows: How to: Extract Icon from File in Windows How to Extract Icon from File in Windows You can use the free IconViewer utility program to view and save the icons contained within files, such as executable files and dynamic link libraries (DLLs). When IconViewer is...