Windows 10: Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1

Discus and support Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I found my surface after it being lost for a year. It is connected to a Microsoft account that I have since deleted. I tried to recover the account but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BriannaNanez, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1

I found my surface after it being lost for a year. It is connected to a Microsoft account that I have since deleted. I tried to recover the account but Microsoft says it doesn't recognize iteven though my surface is pulling it up. I tried to reset and fully clean the drive in hopes of being able to login but it keep saying "there was a problem resetting your PC". I made sure I was connected to the internet it is but I cant get it to reset.

:)

BriannaNanez, Feb 19, 2020

2. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, Feb 19, 2020
  3. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Feb 19, 2020
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1

SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

The error “A required drive partition is missing” usually occurs when you attempt a system reset or refresh in Windows and the MBR or BCD record is corrupted.

I would suggest you to create a recovery drive. You may go through this article on ‘Creating
    and using a USB recovery drive
    ’ to get you through this. Please follow the steps on ‘How to reset your Surface to factory conditions using a downloaded recovery image’ in the same article to get you through the factory reset.

Disclaimer: A reset returns your Surface to its factory settings. It deletes all of your personal files, resets your settings, and removes all apps that you installed.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1

1. Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1 - Similar Threads - Cannot Factory Reset

2. Factory Reset Stuck At 1%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory Reset Stuck At 1%: I tried factory resetting my PC since it was running slowly, but it has been stuck at 1% for like an hour. I am aware that these take up to 3 hrs, but I dont think it should still be at 1%. The PC is pretty old, and thats why I’m resetting it. It’s an XPS 8500 I think....
  3. Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings: Hi, Since I no longer use my surface Pro for my business, I want to reset the device and start from scratch. I'm not nervous about doing this and understand it might take a while for the system to update the latest patches, but I can live with that. I am twitchy about...
  4. How to Factory Reset LOCKED Surface Pro 1796

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Factory Reset LOCKED Surface Pro 1796: Trying to Factory Reset LOCKED Surface Pro 1796... I Dont Have Login Password... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-factory-reset-locked-surface-pro-1796/5715cdb6-5311-4e67-b3f9-c7d17dd3fe20
  5. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3: My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting! Would anyone like to...
  6. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3: My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting! Would anyone like to...
  7. Surface go cannot factory reset

Surface go cannot factory reset: I hahe a surface go and its been being alot slowing and has alot less space, so i decided to factory reset it since 90% of the thinfs on there are junk; i go to do that but when resetting it said it ran into a problem and undid all the changes. I also tried repairing but it...
  8. Will not factory reset- Surface Pro 6 Windows10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will not factory reset- Surface Pro 6 Windows10: I have attempted to reset my computer both saving files and well as factory reset, neither completed. Error read that it was unable to complete and that nothing had changed. I did try the suggested command prompt way and it stated failed. Please help!...
  9. Factory Reset on Surface Pro (5) i7

Factory Reset on Surface Pro (5) i7: I did a factory reset on my Surface to erase my work account. From all looks it seems fine. But I can not click on the start menu and see any apps I can't type in the search field, or basically do anything. When I open edge it opens and then closes. But if I right click on...
  10. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM: The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore. I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults. The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed. Now it is in a reboot loop. I have tried several times and now it gives...