Windows 10: Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows

Discus and support Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a message that an update was required as support for my version of Windows 10 was not support as it was a version before April of 2018. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ComputerDucky, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows

I got a message that an update was required as support for my version of Windows 10 was not support as it was a version before April of 2018. However, after the update completed and the PC attempted a restart, I get an error that a boot drive is required and it will not load Windows at all. I had a very similar issue when it forced me to update a few months ago which not was a pain to fix but my computer has not been the same since, so this is very frustrating for me.

In my BIOS, it just lists my only drive which is a Crucial P1 1TB. It does not list any other boot options and it is set for that drive, but I get the error mentioned above. Last time this happened it listed my drive twice, one as MBR drive. I have since tried another drive in the system with a previously working version of Windows 10 that was my old drive for that PC which is also encountering the same issue It is a Crucial 250GB MX500 2.5 inch SSD.

My PC has the following hardware:

Gigabyte X470 Auroras motherboard

Ryzen 7 2700X

32GB of Ballistic Tactical DDR4 RAM rated at 3000MT/s 4 modules with 8GB each, same exact model

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

XFX 8GB RX580

When this first happened, it took a lot of time and effort to get it working again, but at first it would only run the memory at 2400MT/s which previously it worked at the rated 3000MT/s without any issue. It would also often restart before even getting to the BIOS several times without any noticeable pattern; sometimes it did within a few seconds, sometimes within a few minutes, but always would not get to the BIOS the first few or more times.

I replaced the PSU with a better one at that time, but the issue persisted. I also used Memtest 86 which did not find any problems with the memory I though that the system only running the memory at 2400MT/s despite the profile having it at 3000MT/s may show signs that the issue stemmed from the RAM, but I was wrong.

After clocking my memory down to 2933 I was able to boot into Windows, but it would often BSOD and ran the memory at 2400 instead of 2933. So I reverted Windows back to a previous version and it partially fixed the issue. It would still restart a few times before getting to the BIOS, but would be able to boot to Windows 10 and run the memory at 2933 without BSOD.

I did not turn off or had any loss in power during the update; I allowed the update to be uninterrupted and it took about an hour for this last one.

I really need help with this one as this has become a very frustrating issue for me.

:)

ComputerDucky, Jan 5, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jan 5, 2020
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jan 5, 2020
  4. Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows

little cat, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows

1. Cannot find boot drive after being forced to update Windows - Similar Threads - Cannot find boot

2. Updates being forced uppon.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates being forced uppon.: Is there way to pernamently turn off updates on both W10 and W11? The latest updates for W10 that were forced on me, completely f#cked the system, where not even YOUTUBE works properly on my secondary monitor, without the browser using HW acceleration whereas it was...
  3. Updates being forced uppon.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates being forced uppon.: Is there way to pernamently turn off updates on both W10 and W11? The latest updates for W10 that were forced on me, completely f#cked the system, where not even YOUTUBE works properly on my secondary monitor, without the browser using HW acceleration whereas it was...
  4. Forcing a boot drive to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forcing a boot drive to boot: I recently had problems with my DELL Alienware Aurora R7. Running Windows 10 Pro.I took it to the local computer shop It is a good shop owned by a friend of my son. They found that the M.2 SSD had given up. They got it all working again with a new SSD but used a new install...
  5. Forcing a boot drive to boot

Forcing a boot drive to boot: I recently had problems with my DELL Alienware Aurora R7. Running Windows 10 Pro.I took it to the local computer shop It is a good shop owned by a friend of my son. They found that the M.2 SSD had given up. They got it all working again with a new SSD but used a new install...
  6. Forcing a boot drive to boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown: PC was functioning normally. I stepped away for maybe an hour. Upon returning everything was frozen. I waited an additional half hour with no luck. At this time I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. After reboot it would not start windows and immediately went into...
  8. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown: PC was functioning normally. I stepped away for maybe an hour. Upon returning everything was frozen. I waited an additional half hour with no luck. At this time I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. After reboot it would not start windows and immediately went into...
  9. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. BSOD then reboot cannot find boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD then reboot cannot find boot drive: I am having a few problems with blue-screening. I cant replicate the actual event which causes the BSOD, but the real problem is after the computer tries to automatically reboot. Here it falls down as it cannot find the boot drive and I get stuck in a boot loop. If I...