Windows 10: cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive

Discus and support cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My previous laptop stopped working, so I decided to get a new one and transfer data from old hard drive. I bought a compatible kepler usb lead for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Van Pitrose, Oct 30, 2018.

1. cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive

My previous laptop stopped working, so I decided to get a new one and transfer data from old hard drive. I bought a compatible kepler usb lead for my WD hard drive.

However, when opening file explorer, I cannot see any of my personal documents listed (documents & settings / my documents).

Could I have saved those files anywhere else on my laptop other than my hard drive? (it wouldn't have been any google cloud storage)?

Any help appreciated where these could be!

thanks.

:)

Van Pitrose, Oct 30, 2018

2. Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

Hey all, i have my computer up and running again. I was wondering if there was a way to move the Documents and Settings Folder off of the C: drive and to a separate Hard Drive. I know you can move the My Documents folder over but i don't know if its possible to move the whole documents and settings folder?

Any Help Would be appreciated

pepsi71ocean, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied.

Here is the situation:

• A week or so ago, my old laptop crashed with a hard disk problem (boot block I think).
    • I bought a Surface Book 2 and restored my files from backup.
    • The old hard drive can still be connected via USB and is mostly readable.
    • When I try to open the Documents & Settings folder on the old drive – “Location is not available. Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied.”
    • My userID in Windows 10 on the old laptop was “Ken”. When I set up the Surface, Windows chose the first 5 characters of my email address “bilon” as the default userID. I am wondering if that is the reason for the denial of access? How do I get access?
    • All other folders on the drive seem to be accessible.
    Also, I would prefer to have my userID on the Surface Book revert to “Ken” if possible.

KenChapman1, Oct 30, 2018
  4. cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive

1. cannot find "documents & settings" / "my documents" on old laptop hard drive - Similar Threads - cannot find documents

2. Cannot access any old documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access any old documents: Hello,I cannot open any old documents I've saved, as recently as four months ago. Furthermore, I can only save new documents to my OneDrive.I am desperate to get access to my old documents. I have not changed devices nor have I deleted any of my documents. How can I regain...
  3. Cannot access any old documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access any old documents: Hello,I cannot open any old documents I've saved, as recently as four months ago. Furthermore, I can only save new documents to my OneDrive.I am desperate to get access to my old documents. I have not changed devices nor have I deleted any of my documents. How can I regain...
  4. Not able to access MY documents of old drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access MY documents of old drive: I recently installed windows on my new SSD and got only one boot option,my previous hard disk is still intact ,but I'm not able to access MY documents of that disk ,how can I bring back my settings and move necessary files to new ssd? I can still access files ,but not my...
  5. Not able to access MY documents of old drive

Not able to access MY documents of old drive: I recently installed windows on my new SSD and got only one boot option,my previous hard disk is still intact ,but I'm not able to access MY documents of that disk ,how can I bring back my settings and move necessary files to new ssd? I can still access files ,but not my...
  6. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Home 10 operating system. I have set up one drive. I have copied the files to the one drive folder on my computer. I now have two My Document folders on my computer with the same files. c:\my documents and C:\one drive\My documents....
  7. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows Home 10 operating system. I have set up one drive. I have copied the files to the one drive folder on my computer. I now have two My Document folders on my computer with the same files. c:\my documents and C:\one drive\My documents....
  8. One drive my documents on my laptop not syncing to my laptops my documents.

9. Windows cannot find my pdf documents.

Windows cannot find my pdf documents.: Today: When I try to open the pdf document I get the following screen message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\......... .pdf'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." Since I am merely trying to double left click on the archived document or view the...
  10. Cannot find documents.

Cannot find documents.: I scanned several documents yesterday and cannot find them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-find-documents/4d6bc544-4613-4279-aa12-9ecaa4618747"