Windows 10: Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi! I am new to this forum and looking for some help please! I am trying to install AVISYNTH on my bootcamped Windows 10 Home I am looking for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by All Things Mainy, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home

Hi!

I am new to this forum and looking for some help please!

I am trying to install AVISYNTH on my bootcamped Windows 10 Home

I am looking for the window shown below. I need to use the new button to add a new variable. This is from a youtube tutorial https://youtu.be/Xw4Q5FIiEe0?t=143

Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home [​IMG]

instead when I follow the instructions in the video I just get this window...

Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home bbf8feef-eaed-413b-9d9c-4d5f08c0c8b7?upload=true.png

I am in the admin account when trying this. I have seen other questions about greyed out edit buttons and other things that seem related on this forum but nothing that seems to be my exact problem.

Please any help would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you!

:)

All Things Mainy, Dec 16, 2020

2. Edit - Set Environment Variables

Recently I upgraded my Machine from Win 8 to Win 10, but I encountered many problems like virtual boxes related issues that does not create any problems prior to upgrading to Win 10.My mean concern as of now is I cant edit the system variable even I logged
    as the admin of my machine.I would like to add Java Jdk but windows does not allow me to add the path to environment variables.

Is this a bug? Or what are the steps in order to edit environment variables in Windows 10 machine

Ian

ianrusseladem, Dec 16, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

4. Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home

Can't edit environment variables in windows 10

It doesn't work for me either, even though I'm an admin on the system.

I got around it by opening the System page in Control Panel (Win+X -> Y), going to "Advanced system settings", then clicking "Environment Variables". That properly launches the edit window and it works.

By the way, when was the graphical list view of the Path variable introduced? I remember having to manually edit the string, but now a window shows up that lists each path entry in rows. Was that added in Win10?

The_D0lph1n, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home

1. Cannot find Edit Environment Variables Window in Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Cannot find Edit

2. edit environment variable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    edit environment variable: I am unable to edit environment variables on Windows 11 i have tried all the available ways to solve this but all in vain. including disabling UAC, accessing the direct edit environment variable option from startup, messing with the registry...
  3. edit environment variable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    edit environment variable: I am unable to edit environment variables on Windows 11 i have tried all the available ways to solve this but all in vain. including disabling UAC, accessing the direct edit environment variable option from startup, messing with the registry...
  4. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  5. windows environment variable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows environment variable: I have deleted all thing and every thing from windows environment variable that's why I faces problem in running programe than how can I setup environment variable again?...
  6. windows 10 environment variables location?

windows 10 environment variables location?: Where did you hide the environment variables in the latest windows build? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-environment-variables-location/fe888474-4714-49e9-a4fe-5f783404aa46
  7. Need to edit user environment variables on Windows 10.

Need to edit user environment variables on Windows 10.: Is it possible to edit user environment variables on Windows 10 Home 1809? Past procedures don't work and solutions found on internet don't work....
  8. Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10

Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10: How can I stack up multiple path variables? Currently, it overwrites the old one when I try to edit. (I believe mindless updates are bad and updates should only happen when it is reasonably certain they will improve usability, and not just so that some people have a job.)...
  9. Edit User and System Environment Variables in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Edit User and System Environment Variables in Windows: How to: Edit User and System Environment Variables in Windows How to Edit User and System Environment Variables in Windows Environment variables are a set of dynamic named values that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer. The variables can be...
  10. Environment Variables in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Environment Variables in Windows 10: How to: Environment Variables in Windows 10 Complete List of Environment Variables in Windows 10 Environment variables are a set of dynamic named values that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer. The variables can be used both in scripts and on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Unable to edit environment variable