Windows 10: Cannot format USB external drive.

Discus and support Cannot format USB external drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used a 32GB external USB drive to run a linux distro off. This worked fine but when I wanted to reformat the USB to be used as a normal storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BasedSoup, Jun 6, 2020.

1. BasedSoup Win User

Cannot format USB external drive.

I used a 32GB external USB drive to run a linux distro off.

This worked fine but when I wanted to reformat the USB to be used as a normal storage device, it did not appear in the 'Devices and Drivers' part of File Explorer.

I attempted to use Disk Management, which it appeared on, to format it but it always give me the error "The system cannot find the file specified".

I tried to use diskpart to clean it and format it but I receive the error "DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied. See the System Event Log for more information."

So I check the Event Viewer and I see "Cannot zero sectors on disk \\?\PhysicalDrive2. Error code: 5@0101000F"

I have also tried all this with all non-Microsoft services disabled in MS-CONFIG and I have tried it on a different computer.

I then used a 3rd party partition software, and when I used that to reassign the disk letter it worked fine. But if I ejected the disk or attempted to format it/use any of the aforementioned troubleshooting steps, I receive the same errors.

I also put a file on the drive after reassigning the disk letter, and when I restarted the PC and reassigned the disk letter. The file was still there and had not been affected

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

:)

BasedSoup, Jun 6, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot format USB external drive. - Similar Threads - Cannot format USB

2. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB cannot be formatted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB cannot be formatted.: I have this 16GB USB, when I plugged it into my laptop, it only shows about 14,7GB I later learned that this issue is completely normal because companies marketed their product ''in a way that consumers could understand'' . So without knowing the issue, I went to CMD and used...
  6. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  7. Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error 'cannot format the USB drive': Hello, I have Windows 10 and it does not allow me to format the USB memory ?. Does anyone know why the computer does not allow me to format it? And now it's inaccessible, I tried to format it to factory settings so it's reusable again....
  8. USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED

USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED: Hi, I had purchased an iBall HYBRID Dual Pen drive but now when I am inserting it into the computer (Win 10 Home Single Lang - 64 Bit) , Windows is first asking me to format the drive. But as I click on the Format button it is displaying an Error Command that "Disk is...
  9. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...
  10. Cannot Format my External Hard drive

Cannot Format my External Hard drive: When I plug my external into my pc it tells me it's unable to use and to format the drive. So I try to do so, and Windows tells me that there's a program using the external drive. I attempt to format anyway since I know there's no programs using the drive, and after a...