Windows 10: Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine

Discus and support Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have plugged in via an adaptor a brand new SSD ready to clone the original drive but I cannot see the new drive anywhere least of all in the Macrium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine

I have plugged in via an adaptor a brand new SSD ready to clone the original drive but I cannot see the new drive anywhere least of all in the Macrium program. The only thing I can think of doing is to format the drive using diskpart first is this right??because it is not even showing it in This PC as a drive .

:)

ICIT2LOL, Oct 22, 2020

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CCannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine

Adding Unallocated Volume to C: Drive?

Hi Tarade -

This is Orlando, an Independent Advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand your concern about extending the size of your C drive using the unallocated partition showing on your disk management.

Extending a certain volume requires unallocated volume on the same drive partition which in your case the unallocated volume is a different partition and it can't be combine to extend your C drive.

You can only extend the size of your C drive if the unallocated volume is located on the same drive partition. What you can do is to create a new simple volume using the unallocated drive and have it as a backup drive or if you want to have the unallocated
    drive as your C drive, you need to reinstall windows using the unallocated drive that you have on your machine.

Hope this information helps. Have a good day.

Thanks,

Independent Advisor

Orlando Q., Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine

1. Cannot get an unallocated drive to show in the machine - Similar Threads - Cannot unallocated drive

2. Cannot create a dev drive on unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create a dev drive on unallocated space: I'm trying to create a dev drive in Windows 11 on some unallocated space, however when I try I get this error message:Unable to format volume. Error: Cannot perform the requested operation when the drive is read-only 8The unallocated space changes to 'RAW' in disk managment....
  3. Cannot create a dev drive on unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot create a dev drive on unallocated space: I'm trying to create a dev drive in Windows 11 on some unallocated space, however when I try I get this error message:Unable to format volume. Error: Cannot perform the requested operation when the drive is read-only 8The unallocated space changes to 'RAW' in disk managment....
  4. How To get a blank hard drive Partition To show Up Unallocated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To get a blank hard drive Partition To show Up Unallocated: I bought a 2TB hard drive second hand recently and when I went to Disk Management to Work with the drive unallocated space, there was none listed, The drive does show up in the list and has updated drivers. After seeing this I though the drive must be shot so I bought another...
  5. How To get a blank hard drive Partition To show Up Unallocated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To get a blank hard drive Partition To show Up Unallocated: I bought a 2TB hard drive second hand recently and when I went to Disk Management to Work with the drive unallocated space, there was none listed, The drive does show up in the list and has updated drivers. After seeing this I though the drive must be shot so I bought another...
  6. How To get a blank hard drive Partition To show Up Unallocated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot extend drives from unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot extend drives from unallocated space: Hello, i have 2 unallocated volumes but i can only extend from the 582 GB one.The 93 GB one doesnt wanna extend into the D: volume or the C: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-drives-from-unallocated-space/9c96d0fc-23fc-4fdf-b892-49efbac43947
  8. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  9. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  10. Updated to 20H2, drives showing as 'unallocated'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated to 20H2, drives showing as 'unallocated': Updated my computer to 20H2 overnight, and woke up to find that all my drives except my boot drive were missing, with Disk Management showing them as unallocated space. I find it hard to believe that Windows completely wiped them, is there any way to get my data back?...