Windows 10: Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk

Discus and support Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; FileHistory works OK on files on my drive C: (a 500 GB SSD), but will not backup files on my 2nd drive (2 TB HD) -- on which I keep my data. Problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimWae, Jul 6, 2018.

1. JimWae Win User

Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk

FileHistory works OK on files on my drive C: (a 500 GB SSD), but will not backup files on my 2nd drive (2 TB HD) -- on which I keep my data.
    Problem has existed in several versions of Win 10 & have latest version installed & all updates. External HD works fine & FileHistory works for files on drive C:. Have removed & restarted settings about a dozen times already.

:)

JimWae, Jul 6, 2018
  2. JimA1958 Win User

Missing FileHistory Folders and Files After System Image Restore-Win10

Hi Sher and Others,

Thank you so much for your response. The links included had good advice on using basic features of FileHistory and creating a system image. I used Windows 10 FileHistory to save my files/folders onto a backup drive. I used Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)
    to create my system image. I restored the system image using the Windows 10 System Image Recovery. Before the recovery, I had verified on several occasions that files were available within the FileHistory folder on the backup drive from manual and search inspection.

I am sure FileHistory stores a database of files and folders it processes. Restoring my drive with an earlier system image would have replaced that database. Therefore, running the Restore Files options from FileHistory would only show files/folders in the
    replaced database.

My current FileHistory folder on the backup drive has two user folders, e.g., Jim and Jim (2). Their sizes are 100GB and 480GB respectively. The FileHistory after restore reports a Size of Backup of 100GB. I believe my missing files/folders might still be
    in my FileHistory folder on my backup drive.

* Will FileHistory delete files/folders from the backup drive that are not listed in its database?

* Is there a software tool that can rebuild the FileHistory database using the files/folders contained on the backup drive?

Thanks again for your continued help.

JimA.

JimA1958, Jul 6, 2018
  3. AnyOne-10 Win User
    Fresh backup shows files and folders that do not exist on the system

Problem:

• Created fresh old-fashioned backup using "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" to a disk that does not contain a previous backup, FileHistory or WindowsImageBackup
    • Opened Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to test the content of my backup and hit "Restore my files" to browse through the content.

The backup appears to be containing many references to old folders and files that are no longer existing on my PC.
    • When trying to restore such non existing file from the backup, I get the error "The backup file could not be found [...] 0x8100001A". Which is not surprising since the file was not on the system when creating the backup.
    • Also, when looking at the Previous Versions tab of a folder's Properties it shows versions of several years ago. When restoring a 2 year old version it finishes successfully, but no old version is restored. Which is not surprising either.
    What have I tried?:

• I've cleaned my external disk and recreated the backup with the same results of backup.
    • I've switched of System Protection and deleted Restore points and folder still shows Previous Versions of 2 years ago.
    • I've deleted shadow copies using vssadmin and folder still shows Previous Versions of 2 years ago.
    However...

When opening my backup file in Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and clicked "Select another backup to restore files from", the backup does not show old files/folders that do not exist on my system.

Questions:

• How can I get rid of references to old non-existing Previous Versions of my folders?
    • How can I get rid of references to old non-existing files and folders when browsing the backup using "Restore my files"

AnyOne-10, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk

FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk

1. Cannot get FileHistory to backup files on 2nd (non-system) disk - Similar Threads - Cannot FileHistory backup

2. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  3. Non system disk in system image

Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  4. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  5. Non-System DIsk

Non-System DIsk: I'm using a ASUS TUF505DD-AL040, and decided to upgrade my hard drive, I installed it and used a boot key to reinstall windows 10. I got a "Non-system Disk " error and it seems I can't install windows. I tried to reinstall my old hard drive who still got windows 10 on it and...
  6. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  7. Non-system disk error

Non-system disk error: Hi, I was stuck on the windows 10 recovery blue screen like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-wont-boot-stuck-on-blue-recovery-screen/084b8ddc-6ace-4581-a5d8-0491748dcb1a So I started to follow the solution that was told...
  8. Archiving/Backup files to 2nd local disk (upon edit)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Archiving/Backup files to 2nd local disk (upon edit)?: Hello, I just did a quick Google search on how I could archive files to a second drive and nothing conclusive came up. So, either I suck at Google-Fu or I'm not understanding this correctly. To elaborate, I'm trying to devise a way so that I can backup particular files to...
  9. Filehistory retrieve backup

Filehistory retrieve backup: Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so...
  10. Non system disk but why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Non system disk but why ?: Hi ! I am trying to make a image of my C drive. I go into the process and the F drive is checked and I cannot uncheck it. It is seen as a system drive but it's only a drive that stores data. [img] [img] Is there a way to fix this without loosing all the data...