Windows 10: Cannot get folder permissions...

Discus and support Cannot get folder permissions... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I removed an old Windows 10 user account, but its folder in C:\Users did not disappear. When I investigated, I found that there is a folder inside... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Linus, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Linus Win User

Cannot get folder permissions...

Hi, I removed an old Windows 10 user account, but its folder in C:\Users did not disappear. When I investigated, I found that there is a folder inside that I just cannot delete (in spite of being Administrator):
    C:\Users\test131\AppData\Roaming\AVAST Software\Avast\Cache

I searched the web for solutions but they were all about changing the permissions in the Properties->Security Tab. However, I cannot even do anything there:

Cannot get folder permissions... [​IMG]

If I click the "Advanced" button, I get this:

Cannot get folder permissions... [​IMG]

So I seem to be stuck.

Does anybody know how to solve this by means of legitimate Windwos operations. That is without any third party software or boot images?

Here is a full video of the behaviour:
    [youtube]0MvFKF847Os[/youtube]

:)

Linus, Mar 28, 2017
  2. CTWerf Win User

Permissions

Cannot get permission to open "my Documents "folder in Windows 10

CTWerf, Mar 28, 2017
  3. Windows explorer in window 10

I tried the above but no luck, I still cannot open my files. I wonder if this is a folder or file permission issue, if so how do I change permissions so that all intended users get full permission. But then why cannot the computer not find my file?

JimiLarkin, Mar 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Mar 28, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    In your second screenshot (the 'Advanced' one) click 'Change' next to the owner. Make yourself the owner and you can give yourself 'full control' permissions. Then you'll be able to delete it.

6. Linus Win User
    The "Change" you are referring to is greyed out...

Linus, Mar 28, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Try taking ownership of the \AVAST Software\ folder first.

8. Xilnik Win User

There may be a much simpler solution than permission changes. Restart your computer, and then see if you can delete the user directory you are trying to delete. It may still be in use because it may have been in use at one point during your current session. That has worked for me in the past when struggling with deleting user directories after removing the user through the account management interface.

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  9. Linus Win User
    I am already owner of all parent folders.

Linus, Mar 28, 2017
  10. Linus Win User
    Already tried that, even while disabling AVAST. I deleted that user months ago.

Linus, Mar 28, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    A very good suggestion. If that fails, start at the top and take ownership of the deleted user's folder. Inherited permissions may be preventing you taking ownership lower down.

12. Xilnik Win User
    Have you tried deleting the directory through the recovery environment?
    • Use Advanced Startup Options to choose Command Prompt
    • Type Code: C: dir[/quote] to see if the C: directory has a Users directory. Keep trying other drive letters until you find Users
    • Assuming you find it in the C: directory, try Code: rmdir /s /q C:\Users\test131[/quote] Substitute the appropriate drive letter for C: if need be

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  13. Cannot get folder permissions...

Try taking ownership of the full directory tree for that user. Even if you have already done this, Id suggest doing it again.

When you click on change and change the owner, you type in the name for your account and click OK (or add, Im not sure right off hand). When you come back to the advanced permissions screen, you should have a check box saying something to the effect of "Also apply changes to all containers and objects within these containers."

Click apply and let it change owner on everything within that tree. Then you go back to the folders you were trying to delete. You may have to go back in and add seperate permissions for yourself and disable inheritance.

ArazelEternal, Mar 28, 2017
  14. Linus Win User
    • to see if the C: directory has a Users directory. Keep trying other drive letters until you find Users
    • Assuming you find it in the C: directory, try Code: rmdir /s /q C:\Users\test131[/quote] Substitute the appropriate drive letter for C: if need be
    [/quote] Thank you all for your suggestions. But Xilink's method solved it for me. Thanks a lot!

I was just curious, if there had been a way to "regularly" delete the directory without rebooting or anything. But I'm glad it worked quite easily with this Advanced Startup.

Linus, Mar 28, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Yes, the 'nuclear option' is to boot into another OS that doesn't care about your OS's permissions. The Recovery Environment is a good one to use, as is the frequently suggested idea of booting from a Linux Live USB.

Glad you got it sorted.

Thema:

1. Cannot get folder permissions... - Similar Threads - Cannot folder permissions

2. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  3. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  4. Cannot open folder, permission denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open folder, permission denied: Hey all. I have a very annoying issue I've run into for different folders. When trying to read reports/log dumps in ProgramData, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." I click continue to gain access, and then another popup says "You have been...
  5. Cannot open folder, permission denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open folder, permission denied: Hey all. I have a very annoying issue I've run into for different folders. When trying to read reports/log dumps in ProgramData, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." I click continue to gain access, and then another popup says "You have been...
  6. Permissions: Cannot delete meaningless folder tree

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions: Cannot delete meaningless folder tree: Greetings! Running Win 10. I am cleaning up from an old changeover to my present hardware. At the root of a non-system drive, I have a folder called "Program Files". This folder contains one folder called "ModifiableWindowsApps", which in turn contains nothing at all. I have...
  7. cannot delete an appdata folder due to permission

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cannot delete an appdata folder due to permission: i have full control and permissions. when it asks me i tell it to go ahead. at the end it says i can't delete it without permission. literally have full permission on every single account. what in the fuck. under user i'm already set to administrator. submitted by...
  8. Cannot get permission from myself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot get permission from myself: Just another piece of evidence that the so-called administrator's status is a fake. I am required to get a permission from myself to change properties of a file and cannot receive it, at least Big Bro thinks so. At least he has stopped his ''access denied'' announcements...
  9. I can't get permissions for the WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't get permissions for the WindowsApps folder: I know this question has been asked many times, but, even by following every instruction I could find, I couldn't manage to solve the problem. I already tried to set my (administrator) account as owner in WindowsApps Properties > Security > Advanced, and now I'm able to...
  10. Get permission to delete folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Get permission to delete folders: Way too often, i come across a massage that says you need permission to perform this action if i try to delete a useless folder or a file on my computer. Any way to fix this? 124500