Windows 10: Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP

Discus and support Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two 4k viewsonic monitors attached to my thinkpad p14s via the thinkpad thunderbolt 3 dock and I cannot get both monitors to display at full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hulty, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Hulty Win User

Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP

I have two 4k viewsonic monitors attached to my thinkpad p14s via the thinkpad thunderbolt 3 dock and I cannot get both monitors to display at full resolution, in fact, I don't even have it as an option. When I play around with the settings for a bit I can get one monitor at 4k but the other is stuck at 800x600 with the option to change resolution greyed out.

I have tried so many things, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers more times than I can count and nothing can fix it. I know the laptop is capable of displaying both at 4k because I briefly had it working but upon next startup it was gone. Please if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for the help.

:)

Hulty, Nov 10, 2020

2. Monitor resolution

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with screen resolution. I will try to help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

What exactly happens when you try to change the screen resolution? Do you get any error message?

The recommended resolution on windows 10 is 1920 x 1080. Change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and check.

The reason why your display was stretched sideways is because the resolution was in-corrected.

Here are the steps to change the screen resolution:

• Right Click the Desktop and select
      Screen Resolution.
    • Click the Make text and other items larger or smaller link.
    • In the Change only the text size section click the
      drop down menu
      to select the items you want to change.
    Hope the information was helpful

Nachappa C K, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP

Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP

1. Cannot get full resolution on monitors PLEASE HELP - Similar Threads - Cannot full resolution

2. Monitor Help Please!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor Help Please!: Hello All! I'm using Window 10 Pro and did an update a few months ago when this issue started. I only use one HDMI monitor and it worked fine till the update. After the update, If I restart my computer my HDMI monitor does not work and I need to plug in a VGA monitor to...
  3. Monitor Help Please!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Help Please!: Hello All! I'm using Window 10 Pro and did an update a few months ago when this issue started. I only use one HDMI monitor and it worked fine till the update. After the update, If I restart my computer my HDMI monitor does not work and I need to plug in a VGA monitor to...
  4. Monitor Help Please!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  6. Monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  7. Resolution Not Right,My Monitor is 1920x1080 but the recomendded is different please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resolution Not Right,My Monitor is 1920x1080 but the recomendded is different please help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hellopulis [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5fea6/resolution_not_rightmy_monitor_is_1920x1080_but/
  8. Cannot change the resolution of the second monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cannot change the resolution of the second monitor: Dear forum users, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet computer with Windows 10 in use. I usually use two monitors (including the screen from the computer itself) which work fine normally. Sometimes, after I connect the computer to a project to give a presentation, then...
  9. Cannot get resolution right on tv monitor connected to pc

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cannot get resolution right on tv monitor connected to pc: I have temporarily connected a 22 inch LCD tv monitor( until i get a new one) to pc via HDMI lead but i cannot get resolution set right.The recoommended native makes the taskbar disappear of screen and the desktop icons are barely visible on left side of screen. I have tried...
  10. Windows 10 won't offer full HD resolution for full HD monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 won't offer full HD resolution for full HD monitor: Hello, I recently installed the latest Windows 10 TP (I believe it said April) on an old school computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.97 GHz. It always used to run 3:2 in the classroom but on a fresh install of 7 Professional it offered and worked in Full HD 16:9 mode while...