Windows 10: Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Discus and support Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Issue I am failing to hardware encrypt my Samsung SSDs with BitLocker eDrive. I tried this with a 980 Pro 1TB and a 970 Evo 1TB neither of those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Niklas-Stadler, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Issue

I am failing to hardware encrypt my Samsung SSDs with BitLocker eDrive. I tried this with a 980 Pro 1TB and a 970 Evo 1TB neither of those worked.

Hardware used

Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS Bios Version 3001

CPU Ryzen 9 3900X

RAM 2x CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 4*16 = 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 3200MHz in total

GPU Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X

SSDs Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Things I have tried - with 970 Evo and 980 Pro

• From a SATA Windows Boot drive:
      • Enabled Drive encryption with Samsung Magician state is Ready To Enable
      • The Firmware is up-to-date according to Magician
      • Created a Secure Erase Stick with Magician
      • Created a 64-bit Windows Installer USB should be 20H2
    • Booted into the Secure Erase environment and secure erased SSD
    • In the BIOS
      • Enabled Secure Boot
      • Disabled CSM Support
      • Set Windows Installer UEFI USB as only boot source
      • Enabled Disable SID Blocking Also enabled the disable on every following boot
    • Rebooted to the Windows Installer
      • Installed Windows Education
      • only selected the drive, no manual partitioning at all
      • rebooted the system
    • Let Windows reboot Setup - Enabled Disable SID Blocking as mentioned earlier
    • Let Windows reboot again Setup - Enabled Disable SID Blocking as mentioned earlier
    • Used Domain User
    • In freshly installed Windows
      • Installed Magician checked state Encrypt Device: Enabled
      • Set BitLocker through policies to force HW encryption Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB 82eb1e7a-d067-4345-899a-d8723bc07563?upload=true.png
      • Tried to enable BitLocker on C: Drive - failed Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB 264e8a0a-682b-42b6-b05e-fbbd54a75d76?upload=true.png
      • Installed AMD Drivers Chipset, GPIO,... with autodetect setup
      • Installed Samsung NVME drivers only on the run with 970 Evo, because 980 Pro isn't supported
      • Installed all Windows updates
      • rebooted
    • Booted into Windows - Enabled Disable SID Blocking as mentioned earlier
      • retried enabling BitLocker - still fails with the same Error with both the 970 Evo and the 980 Pro

Conclusion

I am doing something wrong... Or maybe something is broken with BitLocker, Windows or my motherboard.

Questions

Has anyone same problems? Or even has fixed this in the past?

I appreciate any help :-

:)

Niklas-Stadler, Dec 29, 2020

2. (BUG) BitLocker eDrive hardware encryption

Hi,

I did a clean install of Windows 10, and tried to use hardware encryption via BitLocker on my eDrive compliant 850 EVO ssd.

First it just would not use the hardware encryption (asks if I want to encrypt whole drive or only used portion) but I found that Intel rapid storage was conflicting with the process (version V14501081)

When I uninstalled IRST, the setup went right, but after the first reboot/system check, BitLocker has just dissapeared. It can't be found in the Control Panel (see screenshot), trying to open it via search doesn't work and it's not listed when right clicking
    the system drive, but when right clicking my second HDD there is an option to enable it, this brings me to the initialization screen, the BitLocker settings still can't be accessed. There's also no lock icon on the system drive, but BitLocker does ask for
    a password on bootup (don't have TPM).

When typing manage-bde -status C: in the command prompt, I get an error (see screenshot)

screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/JiHCu3K.png

This worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 for me.

Edit: Now BitLocker suddenly started working properly. The lock sign is there and the settings are back, still this is strange behaviour.

Thomas Debie, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Bitlocker eDrive Setup with 2nd Partition

Hello,

I have successfully encrypted my C: drive with Bitlocker. I used the new Hardware Encryption (eDrive) method and it works without a problem.

But I still think that I've encountered a "bug" in this setup. My SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) is split into two partitions. While Windows 10 says that my primary partition is successfully encrypted, it shows my second Partition (DCannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB :) as unencrypted.

I personally think that this is wrong or misleading. As far as I understand the eDrive functionality, it doesn't directly encrypt the partition. It only manage the encryption keys of the harddrive itself.

But the harddrive itself can't differentiate between the partitions or data (Or am I wrong here?). So shouldn't partition D: be also shown as encrypted as partition C:, as the whole harddrive has been encrypted?

MarcelWie_KLOS, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Windows 10 Pro deployment using WDS and eDrive

I'm deploying Windows 10 PC's using WDS and want to make use of eDrive. The SSD installed in the PC supports hardware encryption. When I deploy a Windows 10 Pro image to a system and then turn on BitLocker it uses software encryption.

If I take that same system install Windows 10 Pro using a CD turn on BitLocker it uses Hardware encryption. Again on the same PC I deploy Windows 10 Pro using WDS enable BitLocker it uses hardware encryption.

To do this across a number of devices is time consuming and defeats the point of WDS.

Any suggestions?

ChosenMacaroon8, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

1. Cannot get Hardware Encryption with BitLocker eDrive working Samsung 980 Pro 1TB - Similar Threads - Cannot Hardware Encryption

2. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  3. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker - Hardware encryption: Hello,I trying to enable hardware encrypted disks with bitlocker. We have laptops different models - Dell 6420, Lenovo T470, Lenovo T14 gen 1 and gen 2, Lenovo Carbon X1 gen 9 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 witch all current updates. And different SED disks WD SDBQNTY-256G, Samsung...
  4. Bitlocker - Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  6. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  7. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. New Firmware for Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Firmware for Samsung 980 Pro: My 980 has just been updated to 2B2QGXA7. Can't find any mention of whats changed. 174405
  9. Bitlocker hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker hardware encryption: Im thinking to setup bitlocker but I still dont fully understand how it works. The software encryption part seems simple but how does bitlocker works with the SSD's hardware encryption? There are some articles about how bitlocker trusting the SSD's encryption that had...
  10. Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Impossible to turn on eDrive/Bitlocker with Hardware encryption: Hi. I can't enable Bitlocker hardware encryption for Kingstorn A2000 NVME SSD series. NVME product page reports: "Supports a full-security suite (TCG Opal, AES 256-bit, eDrive)" I followed these instructions:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung 980 bitlocker system drive

2. samsung ssd 970 evo plus bitlocker hardware encryption