Windows 10: Cannot get home network connection set to private!

Discus and support Cannot get home network connection set to private! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm uncertain how long the connection to my home network has said it's 'public'. Thankfully, I can still get here on my laptop. However, my new RCA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ableckov, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ableckov Win User

Cannot get home network connection set to private!

I'm uncertain how long the connection to my home network has said it's 'public'. Thankfully, I can still get here on my laptop. However, my new RCA tablet/pc, which was running 8.1 (I upgraded to 10 out of the box), will not let me get to the internet (which is how I learned this pc, Gateway NV53A, clean install of 10, was showing public network).

Have tried a few things. One, I tried 'forgetting' the network and re-connecting. After saying 'yes' to share with other pc's on this network, it did not change it. Two, I went to the registry thru the tree (hkey, blah, blah, blah) til I got to network profiles, then category and changed that from 0 (supposedly public) to 1 (supposedly private), also to no avail.

~sigh~ I haven't had a lot of time with the new tablet/pc, but out of the box, obviously, it was working (I was able to upgrade). I was on it once or twice yesterday and it was fine.

Why can I not change my network to private???? *Mad

UPDATE: Nevermind... although there should be an easier way, I just created a homegroup (forgot about that), connected RCA to the homegroup... all is private now.*Rolleyes

:)

ableckov, Aug 9, 2015
  2. Burien Win User

How do you change an undentified network Public to an identified network private in windows 10

I have a home network set up with wireless router. My Ethernet connection is identified network and listed as private, but the wireless connection states unidentified network and states its public network. how do get it to recognize my wireless network
    and be changed to private.

Burien, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Change Network Profile to Private From Public

I cannot get on my home network and cannot join a homegroup. The message states that I must change my network location to private. I see no place to change my network profile to private in the current build - 16299, ethernet connection. The screens
    that I used to see are not there any more. All the information on the internet appears to be for previous builds.

NancyMcFarland, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

Cannot get home network connection set to private!

1. Cannot get home network connection set to private! - Similar Threads - Cannot home network

2. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  3. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  4. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  5. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  6. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  7. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  8. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. private network setting

private network setting: i can not open but i see my private folder on my network (i can open public folder only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/private-network-setting/8690d8e2-4dad-4da2-be83-4f06942f6eab
  10. Private Network Connection

Private Network Connection: Why does my personal HP Windows 10 laptop show in Windows Defender Firewall that I am "Connected" to "Guest or public networks" even when I disconnect from my xfinity modem and "forget" my "known network" credentials? I can't figure out what I am "connected" to? [ATTACH]...