Windows 10: Cannot get to my desktop, I get a grey screen after the Bios Screen

Discus and support Cannot get to my desktop, I get a grey screen after the Bios Screen in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have my own gaming PC with Windows 10 and recently decided to update my graphics card from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2070 for better performance. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jdrorke, Apr 15, 2020.

1. jdrorke Win User

Cannot get to my desktop, I get a grey screen after the Bios Screen

I have my own gaming PC with Windows 10 and recently decided to update my graphics card from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2070 for better performance. My computer was not able to run the RTX 2070 for whatever reason and I started troubleshooting, deciding that maybe I should uninstall the GTX 1060 driver and install the 2070 drivers instead. In order to finish uninstalling the driver for the GTX 1060, I needed to restart my computer. When I clicked on restart, my computer turned off and turned on again, but after the bios screen came up, I just get a grey screen. I cannot get to my desktop, and I cannot get to the login screen. I tried getting into Windows recovery mode by turning my PC off and on 3 times in a row, but I couldn't get it to work. I updated to the latest version of Bios for my motherboard, and that didn't help either. I was even able to boot my PC using a bootable USB with a version of Linux Mint on it, so I figured all the components in my computer work properly, and that this issue is probably something to do with Windows. What can I do to fix this issue?

:)

jdrorke, Apr 15, 2020
  2. dir_d Win User

HD5770 grey screen problem

My Grey Screen was caused by bad memory. Changed the memory and everything has been good for over a year. What i mean by this is that Grey Screens are not black and white to solve they are in the grey area. There are alot of different components within your computer that can be causing the grey screen. If you can i would RMA 1st though because the GPU may be really sensitive to your system. If you still have issues after the RMA got for overclocks and RAM.

dir_d, Apr 15, 2020
  3. TIGR Win User
    Poll: Desktop Screen Size

This goes along with my Desktop Screen Res poll. A lot of people have been posting their monitor size in addition to voting in the poll, but I wanted to make an actual poll to put the screen size votes in a more easily readable format.

This is for desktop systems, not laptops. I've tried to include all screen sizes that people are likely to have; if yours is not listed, round up. If you have multiple, different-sized screens, check all that apply. I've also listed projectors as an option.

I didn't list individual sizes over 32" as these are typically not intended as PC monitors; just select "Larger."

4. Mussels Win User

grey screen while trying to play a game.

its related to the video cards, look for updated BIOS for them. google for ATI grey screen, you'll see tons of reports about it.

Mussels, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot get to my desktop, I get a grey screen after the Bios Screen - Similar Threads - Cannot desktop grey

2. Cannot access BIOS, all I get is a black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access BIOS, all I get is a black screen.: I have been attempting to enable Secure Boot after it was disabled I don't know how or why, one day it just disabled, not allowing me to access a couple applications that require it to be enabled. I used to be able to access it, but I did the shutdown which brings it back to...
  3. Cannot access BIOS, all I get is a black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access BIOS, all I get is a black screen.: I have been attempting to enable Secure Boot after it was disabled I don't know how or why, one day it just disabled, not allowing me to access a couple applications that require it to be enabled. I used to be able to access it, but I did the shutdown which brings it back to...
  4. I cannot get my computer out of BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot get my computer out of BIOS: Yesterday, I was playing a video game and got a blue screen. The blue screen was quick and I didn’t see the error code. After the fact, my computer booted into bios, from here on out saving and exiting bios gives me a black screen and then directly loads back into bios. I...
  5. I cannot get my computer out of BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot get my computer out of BIOS: Yesterday, I was playing a video game and got a blue screen. The blue screen was quick and I didn’t see the error code. After the fact, my computer booted into bios, from here on out saving and exiting bios gives me a black screen and then directly loads back into bios. I...
  6. I cannot get my computer out of BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Cannot get into windows after bios update.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot get into windows after bios update.: So I did windows update that had a bios update. All was good till pc restarted. Tried to put in pin but pin was deleted due to new security feature. So To set up new pin I have to put in password for the live account I guess I set up when setting up pc for first time. It...
  8. Cannot get into windows after bios update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get into windows after bios update.: So I did windows update that had a bios update. All was good till pc restarted. Tried to put in pin but pin was deleted due to new security feature. So To set up new pin I have to put in password for the live account I guess I set up when setting up pc for first time. It...
  9. cannot get full screen after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot get full screen after update: Every time I get a Windows update the screen size shrinks and fills only part of the screen. I have tried many fixes but cannot get full screen...
  10. Cannot get to login screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get to login screen.: Hi, My pc refuses to show the login screen. All I see is the mouse cursor and a black screen. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which are working so I know windows is loaded. Also win+p brings up the project a screen thing and win+u brings up narrator. Any ideas on how...