Windows 10: Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant

Discus and support Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant. Sometimes get an error message; sometimes I just sit and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlanBr59, Dec 3, 2019.

1. AlanBr59 Win User

Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant

Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant. Sometimes get an error message; sometimes I just sit and spin. HP Pavilion laptop bought 11/2017; yesterday I restored to factory image because it was having startup problems (Windows said it could not complete startup). I don't think I have a virus, but maybe a corrupted file in W10 somewhere? Windows 10 Home version is 1511. Does anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose root cause then fix?

:)

AlanBr59, Dec 3, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 3, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant

Update Realtemp

For example it doesn't have support for the modern CPUs , mine has 6 cores and doesn't list all the temperatures. It also may need to be updated for Windows 10 Fall creator's update.

Harespok1974, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant

1. Cannot get Windows 10 updates either via Check for Update or via Standalone Update Assistant - Similar Threads - Cannot updates either

2. Which way—installing Windows updates via Microsoft Catlog or Check for Updates—is preferable?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which way—installing Windows updates via Microsoft Catlog or Check for Updates—is preferable?: Team,We had some problems installing the Windows update; therefore, I need someone to respond to my question.Which of the two methods—check for updates or manual installation—would be the best for installing Windows updates? Recently, the irrelevant patch KB5031471 has been...
  3. Windows Update 21H1 redownloading via "Windows 10 Update Assistant" instead of installation.

Windows Update 21H1 redownloading via "Windows 10 Update Assistant" instead of installation.: I have a Windows of version 1903. Microsoft has stopped support for this version. I received a feature update to 20H2 which could never install I don't know why.Now, since I don't get any updates anymore, I tried updating to version 21H1 via the "Windows 10 Update Assistant",...
  4. 20H2 update via update assistant not working for me

20H2 update via update assistant not working for me: I'm trying to download 20H2 update via assistant but I keep getting this error for past 3 days. My windows is genuine, I installed it by downloading ISO file from you directly. I bought my new key few months ago. Please help me. Thank you[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. [HELP] Update to 2004 stuck at 99% via Update Assistant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Update to 2004 stuck at 99% via Update Assistant: I'm using the Update Assistant to update my laptop, and the update is always stuck at 99%. I've been attempting to do this for a week already. I've tried running it overnight, clearing out the downloaded updates using Disk Cleanup, Windows Troubleshooter. None helped....
  6. Cannot update Windows With Update Assistant

Cannot update Windows With Update Assistant: i tried to update my windows build to latest with Update Assistant but after it completes to 100% and ask to restart after restarting it doesnt upgrade to latest build it remains on older version...
  7. Unable to Update Windows via Automatic Update

Unable to Update Windows via Automatic Update: Hi, I am not able to update my Windows 10 Pro since the last version 1809. I can recall that the update was working before. I have tried to use Troubleshoot but it couldn't fix the issue. I have also downloaded and ran Windows 10 Update Assistant but right after it...
  8. Updating via USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating via USB: Maybe this question is stupid but anyways, I want to be sure that nothing could go wrong. If I update via USB, it would install the version of the iso or it would download the latest version, like this: I open the windows installer on Windows and I select the update option,...
  9. UEFI BIOS Update via Windows Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    UEFI BIOS Update via Windows Updates?: One of the user tech's ("rockstar") on the Dell Community Forums reported he got a BIOS update for a Dell via the Windows 10 Updates. Was this a fluke or is this something that is coming for all or selected PC's? 123464
  10. Windows 10 April Update via Windows 10 update assistant

Windows 10 April Update via Windows 10 update assistant: Hello everyone! I tried installing windows April update via windows update assistant(as default update system did not work) and it is downloading the file multiple times and not installing. What happens is the download progress reaches 100% and the assistant verifies it and...