Windows 10: Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection

Discus and support Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows 8.1 I have uninstalled all anti virus software and I am trying now to turn on Windows Defender spyware or virus protection. [ATTACH] I am... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by moniuch, Jan 10, 2021.

1. moniuch Win User

Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection

Windows 8.1

I have uninstalled all anti virus software and I am trying now to turn on Windows Defender spyware or virus protection.

Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection cb0286ae-0215-41d2-a32b-d7ad105f72f2?upload=true.png

I am getting the famous 0x800704ec error.

Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection 18820e11-2abf-4723-90b8-2ac48f7fd7c6?upload=true.png

Having looked at some recommended solutions I am worried that my Windows Defender is corrupt.

1. services.msc lists only two items whose names start with Windows Defender,

Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection 0ddb106c-b80e-4ca2-a6cc-e730ebcd3e2b?upload=true.png

while solutions usually show 5 of them: https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/windows-defender-is-turned-off-by-group-policy-services-2.png

2. I have regedit items mentioned nowhere else

Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection dcf87ec6-14bc-4534-8f25-a8657637f254?upload=true.png

:)

moniuch, Jan 10, 2021

2. Turning on spyware and virus protection

I have Windows 10 and have been advised that both my spyware and virus protections are not turned on. I have tried to turn them on but to no avail. I do not have any competing protection installed on my computer. Please advise as to how to proceed.

PhyllisScheffler, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Turning on spyware and virus protection

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Windows Defender is the default real-time (always on) protection program in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.

• Click on Update & Security.

• Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Booster2 Win User

How to turn on Window Defender virus protection.

I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Now my Windows Defender is turned off. I need the virus protection but am unable to turn on Defender virus protection. I am using Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Booster2, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot get Windows Defender to turn on its virus and spyware protection - Similar Threads - Cannot Defender turn

2. Unable to turn off windows defender and virus protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn off windows defender and virus protection: Hello and Goodday,i am running windows 11 preview build on M1 macbook using Parallels Desktop. However whenever i try to switch off the windows defender and virus protection feature. It doesn't seem to work. I have tried numerous methods including altering registry policy and...
  3. Unable to turn off windows defender and virus protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn off windows defender and virus protection: Hello and Goodday,i am running windows 11 preview build on M1 macbook using Parallels Desktop. However whenever i try to switch off the windows defender and virus protection feature. It doesn't seem to work. I have tried numerous methods including altering registry policy and...
  4. Windows Defender's Virus And Spyware Definitions Not Updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender's Virus And Spyware Definitions Not Updating: My windows defender's virus and spyware definitions isn't updating when I check for updates in windows update and also in the windows defender user interface either.I submit a prove about what happen when I tried to update it.I am not a fan of going to...
  5. virus and spyware for defender

virus and spyware for defender: Got message "Virus and spyware couldn't be updated". Internet connection OK. Any thoughts. Dataviews https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-spyware-for-defender/892562b4-5fca-420d-8272-1b62ada20312
  6. Cannot turn on virus and threat protection

Cannot turn on virus and threat protection: When I try to turn antivirus protect on I get the message "your virus and threat protection are managed by your organization" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-virus-and-threat-protection/f93dcfe5-fe02-4437-96ff-c6b36bcef4fb"
  7. Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating

Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating: Windows Defender update stalling and then not completing. Message says 'Didn't update due to an internet or network connection problem'. Have tried many times over the last few days....
  8. Virus protection on windows defender

Virus protection on windows defender: My virus protection on windows defender will not scan as it states that I am using another provider although I have not subscribed to any other provider . This is a recent occurrence (2 days) . Any ideas?...
  9. Spyware and virus protection.

Spyware and virus protection.: Do I need McAfee protection with Windows Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spyware-and-virus-protection/73d11fed-3b86-4df0-81da-f445ce928131"
  10. Windows defender Virus Protection

Windows defender Virus Protection: I had uninstalled Third Party Antivirus Software after its validy After that I can not able to switch on Windows Defender Virus Protection . It is showing message your virus and protection is managed by your organization Pl help to restore the setting by switching on...