Windows 10: Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds!

Discus and support Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; (SOLVED) Sometimes I cannot hear sounds from games, browsers (all of them) and programs. The funny thing is that I can hear system sounds e.g. when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Παναγιώτης Μάστορας, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds!

(SOLVED)

Sometimes I cannot hear sounds from games, browsers (all of them) and programs. The funny thing is that I can hear system sounds e.g. when I change the sound level.

Solution:

My desktop PC has 4 users. To describe the solution, I must write the scenario when the problem occurs.

If the same user logs in and shuts down the PC everything works fine!

If someone else logs in, then you can see (from task manager) that the previous user is loaded but in "logged off" status!

It seems that the previous user "locks" the sounds from programs without been logged in!!!

To solve the problem, you must disable the fast startup on Windows. (To do that check https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup)

:)

Παναγιώτης Μάστορας, Feb 3, 2019

2. Can only hear system sounds.

As the tiltle says I can only hear system sounds now. But får about 5 days ago I could hear all sounds on the entire computer (games, spotify etc.), but when I started the computer yesterday i had no sound
    (only Windows 10 internal sounds like groove and notifications). Let me explain, for an example i have no sound when I play games or try to use spotify etc. The only sounds that work are the ones that are made by windows. I have gone into playback devices
    and clicked test, then I can hear the plingiding, but then when I go to RealTek's HD-soundconfiguration (not sure if properly translated from Swedish) and click test there, there is no plingiding, there is no sound at all. I can hear sounds from google chrome
    like youtube and videos online, but no sounds from the team application or my Steam Games. I've updated my headphones drivers (Qpad QH-90), reinstalled RealTek's drivers 2 times, looked around in the gamefiles, reinstalled DirectX 3 times, checked almost every
    forum, I've checked the cables from the sound input to the motherboard, I've tested other headphones and I can't find the problem! I actually seem to be the only one with this problem and haven't solved it. Please help me with this. This is my final shot.

Specs:

GeForce GTX760 SLI

Intel Core i5-4670K

8,00 GB RAM

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Elias Nilsson, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Unable to hear sound

Hi Arif,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply to the following question to better understand your issue:

1. Is your issue confined to a single application or for all?

Method 1: Run the troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Windows Store App. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.
    Method 2: I would suggest you do the following steps and see if it helps:

Update Sound, video and game controller drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the Sound, video and game controller drives.

• Double-click on the drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    Method 3: If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the Sound, video and game controller drives.

• Double-click on the drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds!

I cant hear anything except the system sounds

As the tittle says i cant hear anything except the system sounds i cant hear youtube,games,apps etc. but i can hear the system sounds i have tried everything and i did the trouble shoot sound options and it says how the headphones are not plugged in wich
    for me they are and i can hear only the system sounds so i unplugged the headphones and replayed the video and still nothing except the system sounds.This problem has been present for me in the past and it seemed to go away by itself but now it wont please
    i need help.Also i forgot to say i tried restarting the computer i even installed windows again and it didnt fix it.

markocabrilo, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds!

1. Cannot hear sounds from browser & games but I can hear system sounds! - Similar Threads - Cannot hear sounds

2. Windows Freezing But I Can Hear Sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Freezing But I Can Hear Sound: Hi, so I had this problem maybe a week or so ago before it stopped. Today, it happened again. I started up my pc and while in a Discord call my mouse stopped moving and I realized my PC had froze. My PC did not sound loud or overheated and I could still hear audio from...
  3. Windows Freezing But I Can Hear Sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Freezing But I Can Hear Sound: Hi, so I had this problem maybe a week or so ago before it stopped. Today, it happened again. I started up my pc and while in a Discord call my mouse stopped moving and I realized my PC had froze. My PC did not sound loud or overheated and I could still hear audio from...
  4. The microphone is not working. But I can hear the sound.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The microphone is not working. But I can hear the sound.: So after I recently rebooted my computer, my microphone is now not working. The microphone works on the other 2 computers and on my phone. I have searched the internet and made all the ideas to try to solve this problem to no avail. Please help.Thanks in advance....
  5. Unable to hear sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to hear sound: Hi! Earlier today I started having sound issues where I cannot hear any sound from any device be it wireless or not I tried basically everything I could think of (drivers, restarting computer, control panel, etc) What should I try now? I dont know if resetting my pc will...
  6. Mic Not Working. But I Can Hear Sound.

Mic Not Working. But I Can Hear Sound.: So after I recently reset my computer, my mic now does not work. The mic works on all 3 of my other computers, my phone and both xbox ones. I have scoured the internet and done every single idea to try to fix this issue to no avail. Please help me. I am also a streamer so...
  7. Problem with Hearing Sound

Problem with Hearing Sound: My Windows 10 computer thinks that I have headphones plugged in, but I don't. I have tried plugging in my headphones, and unplugging, I turned down my volume, then turned it back up, and I have disable my headphones, and enables them but nothing has worked. Plus, my...
  8. Cannot hear the beginnings of sounds

Cannot hear the beginnings of sounds: I just switched to the Audio Technica ATH M50x wireless headphones, and whenever I click on a video on youtube, I cannot hear the beginning of the video. A small snippet of audio cuts out and then I am able to hear audio in the video. This also happens in discord sometimes...
  9. I can't hear sound.

I can't hear sound.: [ATTACH] For some reason out of nowhere my headset got muted and I don't have sound with my headset. I tried other headphones, but when I plug them in they are muted too. Please help....
  10. My Headset Can hear others and game sounds But I Cannot Talk.

My Headset Can hear others and game sounds But I Cannot Talk.: Recently I just built a PC. I am trying to setup the Headset. In discord I can hear everybody but cannot talk back. I tried another headset to the same result. I don't know how to fix this. It makes no sense. Any and all help is appreciated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 can only hear system sounds