Windows 10: Cannot hibernate through shortcut

Discus and support Cannot hibernate through shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Acer Nitro 5 laptop running Windows 10 version 1809 (build 17763.379). I created recently a hibernate shortcut on my desktop. I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by archz2, Apr 7, 2019.

1. archz2 Win User

Cannot hibernate through shortcut

I have Acer Nitro 5 laptop running Windows 10 version 1809 (build 17763.379). I created recently a hibernate shortcut on my desktop.

I used %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe –h

Upon double clicking the shortcut, a small cmd prompt opens for a fraction of a second then nothing happens.

I'm however able to hibernate using the power button that comes in the start menu.

I also used 'C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /h /t 0" for the hibernate shortcut but again the shortcut doesn't hibernate my windows.

What should i do to solve this trouble?

My windows and all the drivers are up to date.

:)

archz2, Apr 7, 2019
  2. JerryVogt Win User

shortcut to make the computer sleep/hibernate

I would like a shortcut to make the Win 10 desktop computer sleep/hibernate as I was able to do in XP. No multiple steps, reaching down to press the desktop computer power button or other inconvenient methods. Would like to be able to sleep in the daytime
    and hibernate at night (with power off). If I make a Shortcut: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0; and if the computer is set to allow hibernate, then i have to use the power button down on the computer to start up again instead of any key.

JerryVogt, Apr 7, 2019
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Cannot hibernate through shortcut :)

terrace, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Cannot hibernate through shortcut

Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

Cannot hibernate through shortcut

1. Cannot hibernate through shortcut - Similar Threads - Cannot hibernate through

2. Cannot Add Hibernate to Power Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Add Hibernate to Power Menu: I have a brand new Dell Latitude 7640 running Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. I cannot get the bibernate option to appear in the power menu. I've attempted adding it in the settings:I've also added it using Command Prompt, per the instructions in this...
  3. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  4. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  5. Shortcut to hibernate windows wthout the UAC window

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shortcut to hibernate windows wthout the UAC window: is it possible to create a Hibernate shortcut but avoiding the UAC window ? presently using C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 167980
  6. I cannot open Windows Settings through any shortcut methods

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot open Windows Settings through any shortcut methods: [ATTACH][ATTACH] I cannot use any of these shortcuts Display Settings through either Desktop>Right Click>Personalize, Network & Internet settings or by using Notifications inAction Center it suddenly pops up a cmd window and closes itself within a sec. Using settings...
  7. Dualbooted laptop cannot hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dualbooted laptop cannot hibernate: I have a lenovo s540 I dualbooted elementary os w my w10 And since then Whenever i close the lid it doesn't really hibernate Just turns off. This happens when i leave it for 4-5+ hours. Yes hibernation is on and yes i have set it to never turn off. How can I solve this? Thank...
  8. Disabling sleep / hibernation timer through powershell / cmd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling sleep / hibernation timer through powershell / cmd: Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows a way to disable sleep / hibernation through cmd or powershell. I have a system I ssh into at home so I only have a shell but it seems to go into sleep mode after x amount of minutes each time. Any solution? EDIT: a way to reset the...
  9. cannot resume after hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot resume after hibernation: Hello, I have the problem that my computer apparently does not resume after hibernation; instead I get the message in my Event Viewer, The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost...
  10. Cannot Boot from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Boot from Hibernate: This is on a fresh Windows 10 install, using a 60 GB SSD and a pair of 1 TB HDD's. No folders were moved off the SSD (C:\) outside of what Windows supports. (That is, I moved all user folders to the HDD that I was allowed to, and installed all programs to the HDD that I was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe –h wont work hiberate in run