Windows 10: Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.

Discus and support Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ...There may be a disk or file system error. Happens when double-clicking reg-file on the NAS-share, which is mapped as a network drive. User is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kosta, Aug 26, 2016.

1. kosta Win User

Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.

...There may be a disk or file system error.

Happens when double-clicking reg-file on the NAS-share, which is mapped as a network drive.
    User is a user with admin rights (membership of Administrators group), and it is the first and only user that was created while W10 was installed.

So what I tried:
    Run regedit as Admin, importing, no-go.
    Placing reg-file on desktop and executing, OK.
    Accessing via UNC, OK.

I read something about taking ownership, so I tried it on that specific key, but still no go from the user-acct.

Though I don't quite understand, why if the key is owned by Group Administrators, I, as a part of that group, cannot exec a reg-file, especially only when a drive is mapped.
    The various variables here just don't "compute" for me...

(if it helps, I cannot copy the .reg file from the NAS to the C-Drive directly, but have to copy to desktop first and then onto C:, with the prompt for admin permission.)

Though this WAS working as I upgraded my machine from Win7 -> Win10 previously, and was working on upgraded Win10 too. This only started happening after new install.

Any ideas what's going on here?

:)

kosta, Aug 26, 2016
  2. sralpert Win User

Windows 10 regedit cannot import a reg file

I save a reg file in a directory with no spaces. I want to import back into the Windows 10 registry but receive an error message:

Cannot import <filename>.reg: Error accessing the registry.

I am running as Administrator and have full control.

What's wrong?

/steveA

sralpert, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 regedit cannot import a reg file

I also have this problem in Windows10 and full admin rights. A .reg file intended to solve the Night Light problem was imported as successfully, however

data of the registry has not changed!

Who can help??

Regards, Albert

I never received a response and assumed that nobody had written so I never got back on to look. I never solved the problem and moved on. Not a critical item so didn't lose any sleep over it but was annoying as I've done this many times w/out issue with prior
    Windows OS's. In answer to the one guy who did write back, I had a very short reg-hack with an extension of "reg" and tested in the same directory as my executable on the local hard drive "C". The reg-hack simply defined the default window dimensions of Notepad
    which I was using to shell out to a report log data that end-users needed to verify an app I developed and didn't want to re-invent the wheel so I used Notepad. I also set some basic print-defaults so that it printed with a basic Windows font and font-size.
    On these same machines I can manually browse to the Notepad keys in Regedit and manually set the parameters logged in as them but wanted to make sure it was always the same in case they made changes tot eh Notepad defaults.

Anyway, that's it in a nut shell. Thanks for the "blast-from-the-past Albert... I totally forgot this was still out there! ;-)

Daniel Marvin, Aug 26, 2016
Thema:

Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.

1. Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file. - Similar Threads - Cannot import reg

2. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...: Already tried granting permissions in regedit and taking ownership of the file + granting everyone permissions, also ran a "sfc /scannow" command to search for any corrupt files, but I get the exact same error....
  3. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...: Already tried granting permissions in regedit and taking ownership of the file + granting everyone permissions, also ran a "sfc /scannow" command to search for any corrupt files, but I get the exact same error....
  4. Cannot import registry file for windows defender, getting error "cannot import file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. REG Import

in Windows 10 Support
    REG Import: Good afternoon, I am putting a Batch file together that involves exporting and importing the Registry. However, I have a question. I am only posting the relevant parts of the code instead of the whole code. To export the Registry I am using . . . Code: for %%a in (HKLM HKCU...
  6. cannot import iswin7logo.dll file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot import iswin7logo.dll file: I am using windows 10 home. I was tried to install a game it shows be runtime error saying this "cannot import iswin7logo.dll file".[ATTACH] How to fix it?...
  7. cannot import isdone.dll file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot import isdone.dll file: I am using windows 10 th[ATTACH]en I was tried to install a game it shows be runtime error saying this "cannot import isdone.dll file". how to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-import-isdonedll-file/cf2033a4-2648-463e-a5d6-b7c93f0b75ba
  8. .reg file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .reg file error: Hi,I tried to change windows 10 font style by running a reg file- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="" "Segoe...
  9. Import reg file in a batch file

in Windows 10 Support
    Import reg file in a batch file: Hi, i've a reg file to mod windows 10 that works properly, but if i import it in a batch file it doesn't work. this is the reg file i've called Windows10.reg Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  10. A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly

in Windows 10 Support
    A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly: I have imported hundreds of reg files into every windows build since 95, now I run into another W10 mystery. I have a complete export of the key REPETIER. When I import it some REG_SZ entries do not import. This is an unmodified export of a sub-key under Repetier. reg...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot import .reg error opening file

2. reg import fails with error openi9ng the file

3. can not import reg file erroro opening the file

4. connot import reg file error opening file