Windows 10: Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo

Discus and support Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This subject has been mentioned on some old topics. That is why I am opening a new one. I have an old desktop PC that I want to offer. It has WIN 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by P VELHO 34, May 17, 2021.

1. Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo

This subject has been mentioned on some old topics. That is why I am opening a new one. I have an old desktop PC that I want to offer. It has WIN 10 installed, it works fine, but is rather slow maybe due to old mother board Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L. Also connected to it there was an external drive Seagate ST33208820A encased in an Iomega box. It is also old but works perfectly. It happens that I purchased a private assembled PC running WIN 10 version 20H2 equipped with an ASUS mobo P8Z77-V. The mentioned external Seagate drive is not seen in this PC. I made some searching and apparently the reason for that is that the ASUS mobo has only SATA ports and the drive has an IDE port. In an attempt to keep the drive (it has a capacity of 320Gb) I did the following. - Dismounted drive from Iomega case. - Purchased a GEMBIRD Bi-directional SATA/IDE converter as shown here: Bi-directional SATA/IDE converter (SATA-IDE-2) - I mounted the converter into case of desktop. After power on the disk appears in Device Manager and Disk Manager. It is numbered in Disk M. and a box pops up to get it initialized. Given the OK a message appears saying UNKOWN DEVICE. If a search of NEW HARDWARE is asked in Device M. the disk disappears. After power OFF and ON of PC, disk appears again. Repeating the process it disappears again. Note - Jumper of IDE drive was placed as MASTER and SLAVE. Both positions did not work and did not show any difference. - In one old topic of the forum it is suggested that connecting power via molex cables to converter board and also disk would solve problem because power supplied only via converter board would not be enough. But it did not. It shows the same sequence of events as reported above. - I installed on ASUS mobo a PCI board used in old PC, where it works without a problem, but results were exactly the same as with the converter. Cables were correctly connected. Now I am out of options and wonder. Is it possible that GEMBIRD converter is not good enough? Though it was not expensive I do not wish buying another one without being sure it solves problem. PCI board, supposedly would feed enough power to disk, was my last hope to solve issue. Maybe it is worthwhile to give up usage of the disk with new PC and when needed purchase a SATA driver. Is there another possibility? I'll appreciate comments on this subject. Thank you. Old post "IDE drive to SATA host" IDE drive to SATA host

:)

P VELHO 34, May 17, 2021
  2. Baer Win User

Optical Drives, SATA or IDE?

What do you guys recommend? I have 6 SATA slots on my Mobo and I will be installing three HDDs initially. I may install a SSD drive later so that would be 4. I am trying to decide if I want to use IDE and save my two additional SATA slots. I am going to install two optical drives. I am not very concerned about a little more burn speed for the optical drives as they are not used that often.
    Comments and Suggestions?
    Tnx

3. zaqwsx Win User
    Looking for a cheap IDE or SATA hd

Im looking for a IDE or SATA Hd with at least 40gb or more. I will pay using paypal.

Pm me and also leave a message with the item and your suggested price.

zaqwsx, May 17, 2021
  4. Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo

ide drivers not installing....

hi guys,

a little prob, nothing major but i cant seem to get the nvidia ide drivers to install on my new mobo,(p6n-sli plat.) iv tried the newest ones from msi, and nvidia sites but none will install,itsfunny though cause the sata drivers all installed correctly.any ideas or suggestions on this would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

QuarterMain, May 17, 2021
Thema:

Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo

1. Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo - Similar Threads - Cannot initialize IDE

2. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  3. Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot initialize IDE hd on PC with installed ASUS SATA mobo: This subject has been mentioned on some old topics. That is why I am opening a new one. I have an old desktop PC that I want to offer. It has WIN 10 installed, it works fine, but is rather slow maybe due to old mother board Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L. Also connected to it there was...
  4. Connected SATA with IDE Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected SATA with IDE Settings: I have G4117L0D bios Zebronics ZEB G41 D3 motherboard in my PC I have connected 2 HDD, both have 6GB/s capability (SATA 3) BIOS has options of SATA type as IDE, AHCI, RAID. In IDE there are 2 options, Before PATA and Behind PATA. In AHCI there are again the same options...
  5. External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize

External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize: Hello, I have a 3,5 HD, from which I need to check some information. It was from an old PC I sold and kept the HD as an information backup. This HD has Windows 10 installed in it and there are Microsoft Office documents stored in it. When I plug-in the HD into a PC desktop...
  6. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  7. IDE drive to SATA host

IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...
  8. Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge

Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge: Hi! I recently tried to use this device which worked on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to 10. I found that the USB2 device fluctuated from appearing in Device Manager. Also the SATA drive appeared as named device, then Local drive or disappeared completely. I...
  9. Asus Mobo with integrated VIA HD sound - fails on APPS (Analog output)

Asus Mobo with integrated VIA HD sound - fails on APPS (Analog output): Not sure what Ms has done in the latest updates -- but I can't get any sound now from APPS like VLC / Windows media player etc etc - although Windows sound events work perfectly !!!!!. HDMI works fine but Analog fails if I'm using a bog standard monitor with RGB (old VGA...
  10. Overclocking help with ASUS MOBO?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Overclocking help with ASUS MOBO?: if there is a better WEBSITE to answer this then please give me url for it please. ------------------ OH MY WTF!!*Banghead I need someone to help me using ifant-style baby steps overclocking. I just want to increase teh speeds about 10-15% and no more. Can...