Windows 10: Cannot install a PIN from Settings

Discus and support Cannot install a PIN from Settings in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have just about finished setting up my new machine but I cannot get it to set a PIN number at the sign on screen allI gte is a message saying to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ICIT2LOL, Sep 17, 2020.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Cannot install a PIN from Settings

I have just about finished setting up my new machine but I cannot get it to set a PIN number at the sign on screen allI gte is a message saying to learn more about it and having to sign in with a password but where?

Any help appreciated see pic

:)

ICIT2LOL, Sep 17, 2020
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Cannot set up PIN after Creators Update

In this case, we recommend to repair and set up a new PIN by doing the following steps:

• Open File Explorer and browser to this location:
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

• Delete everything within that folder. You must be logged in as the Administrator to do this.
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.
    • Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
    • PIN sign in should work moving forward.

Let us know if the steps above works.

Rey Bel1, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Pinning "Settings" to the Taskbar

I've tried both suggestions. But thanks to your(?) earlier post, I do have an icon pinned to the taskbar for settings.

Both were my posts Cannot install a PIN from Settings :) In fact, at first I forgot to post the usual steps to pin Settings to taskbar, and rather complicated (which I thought) by suggesting you create a shortcut. Hence the 2nd post. Anyway, glad the shortcut method helped.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 17, 2020
  4. Cannot install a PIN from Settings

PIN at start up

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to Change PIN password:

• In the search box, type settings.
    • Then Click on accounts.
    • Then on the left hand side click on sign in options.
    • Then you can Select Change PIN password and remove the pin.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

Cannot install a PIN from Settings

1. Cannot install a PIN from Settings - Similar Threads - Cannot install PIN

2. Cannot pin to taskbar and cannot set chrome as default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin to taskbar and cannot set chrome as default: Having 2 weird issues with my new windows 11 install. 1- I download chrome and drag the icon over the task bar and it shows a red circle showing I cannot add it to the task bar. 2- I click into Chrome from apps and I do not get a “set as default browser” button so I can’t set...
  3. Cannot pin to taskbar and cannot set chrome as default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin to taskbar and cannot set chrome as default: Having 2 weird issues with my new windows 11 install. 1- I download chrome and drag the icon over the task bar and it shows a red circle showing I cannot add it to the task bar. 2- I click into Chrome from apps and I do not get a “set as default browser” button so I can’t set...
  4. Cannot set up PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set up PIN: windows would like me to set up a pin however I cannot approve the request in authenticator app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-up-pin/06c5e16d-75d3-4fe8-90be-7a014e524df8
  5. Cannot set up PIN

Cannot set up PIN: windows would like me to set up a pin however I cannot approve the request in authenticator app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-up-pin/06c5e16d-75d3-4fe8-90be-7a014e524df8
  6. Cannot set a PIN without having a PIN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot set a PIN without having a PIN?: I am trying to download apps from the Microsoft Store but to do so, it is asking for my Windows Hello PIN. However, I don't remember setting a pin or what I would have set it as, but when I press forgot my PIN it tells me to go to sign in options in settings. I have done...
  7. Cannot set a PIN without having a PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set a PIN without having a PIN?: I am trying to download apps from the Microsoft Store but to do so, it is asking for my Windows Hello PIN. However, I don't remember setting a pin or what I would have set it as, but when I press forgot my PIN it tells me to go to sign in options in settings. I have done...
  8. Cannot set a PIN without having a PIN?

9. Cannot set-up PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot set-up PIN: [ATTACH]I keep being prompted to set-up a PIN but when I do it prompts me to put a PIN in that I must have previously set-up but I don't know what it is. When I click on FORGOT MY PIN it simply gives me instructions to go the place I started at. There is no reset PIN button....
  10. Cannot set Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot set Pin: When I went to play MS Solitaire, a pop up window asked for pin. I tried the same pion I have been using for windows login since windows 10 was available. It kept asking me for a pin and would not accept the pin. I was able to disable pin and started using my MS password...