Windows 10: Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD

Discus and support Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've been dealing with this problem for months and cannot figure out how to fix it. I replaced my old HDD with a new SSD and wanted to make it a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mega47, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Mega47 Win User

Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD

So I've been dealing with this problem for months and cannot figure out how to fix it. I replaced my old HDD with a new SSD and wanted to make it a clean slate, so I did not transfer over my files from the HDD to the SSD. However, now I'm getting all kinds of errors when I try to reinstall apps saying they can't find the drive to install it on, that being my old HDD D drive and when I go to delete or remove the older apps in my program files/user files they can't be removed because it can't detect my old HDD. The whole thing is driving my nuts, I think it has something to do with the registry but have no idea how to reset or even remove that information from my main hard drive C drive. I've done a disk cleanup and still nothing, I could really use some help on this.

:)

Mega47, Dec 24, 2020

2. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Dec 24, 2020
  3. DHAndrews Win User
    New Machine, New HDD with OEM OS, new 250GB SSD

I have a new Dell in a box with the OEM OS (Win 10 home) on a HDD. I have a clean, new 250 GB SSD from a previous machine

Before I start it up, I would like to install the OS to the 250GB SSD . Would I be better off to start up from the HDD and then migrate to the SSD, or ...?

DHAndrews, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD

SSD failure and Windows 10 reinstall. How to restore apps from HDD.

My Acer desktop computer originally had a 16 GB SSD that held the Windows 10 installation (upgraded from Windows 8). It also has a 2 TB HDD that contains all other applications and files. The original SSD recently failed, preventing me from booting, so I
    replaced the SSD with a SanDisk 128 GB model. I then reinstalled Windows 10 on the new SSD using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. While I was performing the installation, I disconnected the HDD to ensure I didn't accidentally overwrite anything there.

My question now is, how do I get the new installation of Windows (on the new SSD) to recognize the applications I had installed on the HDD? I can use File Explorer to browse the files and applications stored there, but Windows obviously no longer has any
    of the apps registered as being installed. The SSD is now listed as the (CCannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD :) drive and the HDD is listed as the (DCannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD :) drive. Before, the HDD was (CCannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD :) and the SSD was the (XCannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD :) drive.

Thanks,

Tim

TimLarsen1, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD

1. Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot install apps

2. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  3. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  4. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Windows10 onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows10 onto new SSD: I recently built a new PC, and used the SSD from my prior build in this one so I had Windows and didn't lose any files. I have another PC fully built, but no operation system installed on the brand new SSD for it. Do I NEED to download the ISO files onto a USB Drive and...
  6. Installing Windows 10 from USB onto an new SSD, while keeping old HDD for Storage on a...

Installing Windows 10 from USB onto an new SSD, while keeping old HDD for Storage on a...: I bought a new SSD and I want to install Windows 10 Home Same OS as on the current HDD on it.I want to keep my current HDD which has Windows 10 installed as a storage drive. The system has a UEFI BIOS and Secure Boot enabled.I've already created the Windows 10 USB...
  7. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  8. unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...: submitted by /u/aaronjusmith [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmrku0/unplugged_my_ssd_and_hdd_installed_windows_onto_a/
  9. Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD: I made a post a few days ago asking how I could boot off of a cloned ssd. I created a rescue USB and booted off of that using Macrium. While on the USB I created an image of my HDD and then restored the image into the SSD. When I attempted to boot off of the SSD, the text...
  10. Unable to install windows onto new SSD

Unable to install windows onto new SSD: Hello. I have been trying to install windows to my brand-new SSD for 4-5 days now. I installed Ubuntu onto it first, since I plan on having a dual-boot system. (Which I've done before) The first issue is that the Windows Media Creation Tool keeps failing to download/burn to...