Windows 10: Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in...

Discus and support Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in... in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; As the title says... I'm using Win 10 here full updated and since a few months now, the drop-down for selecting what drive to install games/apps onto... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by RichardFTaylor, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in...

As the title says...

I'm using Win 10 here full updated and since a few months now, the drop-down for selecting what drive to install games/apps onto no longer lets me choose my 'E' drive. Only the 'C' drive.

I have searched for this bug on the forum here and the solutions suggested so far go to Settings > Change Where New Content Is saved etc. etc. do not work for me.

What other fixes are there for this very annoying bug? My 'E' drive is functioning normally but something has gone wrong with the Microsoft Store installer.

Thanks in advance.

:)

RichardFTaylor, Apr 14, 2020

2. Install Microsoft Store Game In Specific Folder

Hi,

I understand that you want to organize your Windows 10 storage location. However, the feature you're looking for is currently not possible. We suggest sending feedback to Microsoft using Feedback Hub app. You can visit this
    article to know more details about it.

Moreover, you could always choose a preferred location from the Store settings, or move installed content to a different drive. In case you have the OS installed on an SSD and have a dedicated drive for games, the feature will make it more convenient to
    download games to a dedicated drive before initiating the download.

You can follow the steps below on how to install Windows Store apps on a separate drive:

1. Open Settings.
    2. Click on System.
    3. Click on Storage.
    4. Under "Save locations," and on "New apps will save to," select the new drive location.

Once you completed the steps, new apps you download from the Windows Store will now install automatically in the new location.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Michelle Vil, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 14, 2020
  4. hexaae Win User

Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in...

Can't install large games from Windows Store in E: (same drive as CCannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in... :)

Here is my SSD partitioning:

Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in... [​IMG]

I have some problems installing large games from the Store to E: as it always fails with download error: 0x80070490 trying for example the game:
    Killer Instinct at Killer Instinct from the Store

I think it can be a bug in the Store itself since choosing any other partition (e.g. C: on the same physical drive, or D: on another drive) there is no problem and the download starts as usual.
    I can also move already installed small apps from C: to E: and everything works as expected.
    I have no other issues with the Store, and everything always worked fine for me.

Others have experienced the same problem trying to install from the Store large games on the same drive in a different partition? *sarc

Windows 10 x64 14393.447

P.S.
    All partitions (C:, E: and D: on the other physical drive) have enough free space of course...

hexaae, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in...

1. Cannot install Microsoft Store games on a different drive to the C drive but I could do in... - Similar Threads - Cannot install Microsoft

2. If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C...: If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C drive is required for Windows setup for good gaming? What would be your advice?...
  3. If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C...: If I install the game on a drive other than C drive and do gaming then how many GB of C drive is required for Windows setup for good gaming? What would be your advice?...
  4. I cant install or move games from my C drive to my D drive! Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant install or move games from my C drive to my D drive! Microsoft Store: Every time i try to install or move games from the Microsoft store i just gives my diffrent errors like this one.It basically sais "We cant move Sea of ThievesThe action was not completet, try again later.The error is 0x80070005, If you need it" Please help me :-...
  5. Installed game on D drive, MS Store tries to update to C drive.

Installed game on D drive, MS Store tries to update to C drive.: So I have an issue where I downloaded a game on my D drive by using the "Change where new content is installed" in storage settings, it downloaded to the D drive without much issue. But now that I want to update the game, it keeps trying toreinstall the entire game instead of...
  6. Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive: I also get the error code : 0x80070005 when i try to change this Please Help Me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-microsoft-store-app-on-different/c471f371-e17a-4345-8c03-236db71a77e5
  7. Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store

Can't select a different drive to install app/games from Microsoft Store: Can't install Forza Horizon 4 on D: or even E:, have just 3 options as shown in the pic. Followed all the steps mentioned here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-download-to-hdd-through-microsoft-store/3c478900-142c-4f10-b4aa-ebcae323241f Still...
  8. Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive: So I've just bought Forza Horizon 4 and would like to install it on my D: drive, because my C: drive is a pretty small SSD where I don't have enough space left, but when clicking on Install and choosing the install location, it just doesn't do anything. So basically, I...
  9. Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive

Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive: So I've just bought Forza Horizon 4 and would like to install it on my D: drive, because my C: drive is a pretty small SSD where I don't have enough space left, but when clicking on Install and choosing the install location, it just doesn't do anything. So basically, I...
  10. Can't install Microsoft Store app on different drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing