Windows 10: Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Discus and support Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Lou Reed, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Lou Reed Win User

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong.

I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file
    C:\users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks\New Ubuntu Virtual Machine.hdx exists and it does.

So what do I do? Do I remove the existing file? That way it the file will not exist, so it may install.

I am having trouble putting in the attachments. I hope thta you can see them.

Respectfully,

:)

Lou Reed, Jan 17, 2018

2. Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

That sounds like a much better option, or you can also use cygwin or something.

Ubuntu in a VM
    such as
    Hyper-V
    is also an option if you need the actual OS.

RobertJWin, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Is it possible to install Linux in a Windows virtual Machine?

Absolutely possible (in fact easy) to Install most Linux distro's in Hyper-v. I have Ubuntu and OPEsuse running on this PC. BTW Hyper-v and most linux distro's are free.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 17, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Simply use any other name for the new virtual machine and virtual hard disk, or if your selected name is what you want to use, delete the old existing VHDX file with the same name.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not an answer to your post but I'm going to wade in here with a suggestion.

depending on what you want to do with your Linux VM I would suggest (Sorry @Kari) that HYPER-V isn't the best virtualisation platform for Linux VMs.

If you want any sort of multi-media on your VM, or to connect up external USB drives - especially formatted with Linux file systems I'd recommend VMware player or Vbox (both free)

I've messed around with HYPER-V and while I haven't anything like Kari's experience I've found HYPER-V is great for running Windows Guests but for Linux guests I use VMware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 17, 2018
  6. Lou Reed Win User
    Is it okay to removed old an unused virtual hard disks? They just get in the way as seen from my first post above.

Now after, I have created a new virtual hard drive, how do I get the new operating system to install?

I get a screen that tells me about the new virtual hard drive, but there is no OS installed. So how do I get the new OS (Ubuntu in my case) installed?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v - Similar Threads - Cannot Install Ubuntu

2. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  3. Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu: I already quit trying to use a bridge and now letting the DHCP supply the IP, but everytime I boot the machine the DHCP gives me a new IP. Is possible to "fix" this random range or is there any real way to make it get fixed? The virtual switch configuration dont presents any...
  4. HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update: I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems, save that any attempt to update to 19.04 fails - crashes after Fetching completed ; > doPostInitialUpdate ; > quirks: running discoPostInitialUpdate ; > running...
  5. Hyper V Platform cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper V Platform cannot be installed: Ok so the error is that hyper v cannot be installed because virtualization is disabled in the firmware. But I Do enable the virtualization in bios and yet no result! It still says that virtualization is not disabled. Any idea of what might be wrong?...
  6. Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V

Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V: Hi there Cannot see any option on HYPER-V to INSTALL an OS ????!!. The management and configuration screens come up but HOW do I install the OS and Start the VM !!! Using WINDOWS 10 as HOST. Cheers jimbo 2281
  7. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  8. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!

HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!: Hi there Trying to install programs while connected via RDP (the normal way of accessing your HYPER-V VM remotely). Cannot install programs. This seems a bit daft - I can't always be at the console of the HOST machine - I usually access VM's remotely anyway. cheers...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant install ubuntu hyper v error disk