Windows 10: Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update

Discus and support Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having issues updating Windows 10 1703 to any feature pack updates. My setup is a Asus X99-Deluxe U/3.1 motherboard, i7 5820k processor, 64GB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by futuristic23, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update

I am having issues updating Windows 10 1703 to any feature pack updates. My setup is a Asus X99-Deluxe U/3.1 motherboard, i7 5820k processor, 64GB of memory, an SSD or the operation system and a RAID 5 setup. My system is on the last BIOS pushed out version is 3701. In order to previously update to this version of Window 1703 I needed to migrate everything back over from the SSD to the RAID 5 setup. After the update I migrated back to the single SSD drive and my profile folders such as downloads, documents, and pictures are all pointed to the RAID 5 that I have running on four HDDs 8 TBs in total. I have uninstalled my Avast and Super Antispyware disabled all services except for Windows services, attempted to install the updates via ISO for Windows 10, the update assistant tool, the media creation tool, and finally windows update. I have received multiple failures such Windows 10 installation failed when using the ISO, media creation tool, and the update assistant. The windows installer closes out at 89% installed. When using windows update it restarts and on some occasions has started configuring the updates and reboots to install the updates during the safe OS phase stage 1, gets to 22% reboots and then says it's restoring the previous version of windows. Other times it reboots and doesn't install anything. There is no error message when it does that, and the update history only says windows needs to restart to finish installing updates. When using the other methods I mentioned and the results are Windows 10 install has failed when I reboot the computer it gives me downlevel error messages. I have also disabled the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the board as well. I'm not certain what to do to resolve the issue because there isn't a specific error message with windows update tool in settings and when looking in the Panther file there's nothing that really jumps that is the culprit for the failure to install the updates. This has been going on for months now and it's become quite frustrating because I cannot really go back and install everything all over again due to certain applications being installed on my system because I have had to reinstall windows so many times have ultimately used all my activations of the apps as well. Can someone tell me what I can do to resolve the issue. I will also mention that I ran chkdsk (no error messages of bad sectors, sfc /scannow finds no file violations, dism /online-cleanup /restore health/& scanhealth do not find anything wrong with windows. I have also tried using the windows update troubleshooter and it returns a value that it found some issues and fixing issue which is primarily windows update corruption, and downloading pending updates. Can someone please tell me where I could be going wrong and what can I do next to resolve the issue. I have also tried deleting the software distribution folder, renaming the cataroot2 folder as renaming software distribution folder as well. None of these solutions have worked for me thus far. Someone please shed some light on this issue and what I can do to get my windows setup up to date. Thanks

:)

futuristic23, Mar 25, 2019
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Oct 4, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 4, 2019
  4. bigscale Win User

Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update

1. Cannot install updates past Windows 1703 Update - Similar Threads - Cannot install updates

2. Cannot Update past 1909

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Update past 1909: I have been stuck on windows 10 1909 since it was released. Every time I have tried to update via windows update it has failed. I have tried downloading update assistant and updating my PC this way and failed as well. Media creation tool update now option fails as well. And...
  3. Cannot Update past 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Update past 1909: I have been stuck on windows 10 1909 since it was released. Every time I have tried to update via windows update it has failed. I have tried downloading update assistant and updating my PC this way and failed as well. Media creation tool update now option fails as well. And...
  4. Cannot update past 1803.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot update past 1803.: Long story short. On my old Alienware Aurora R4 which I recently gave to my wife. About a year ago I tried to update my Windows 10 to version 1903 from 1803. Could not get it to work. It would fully install then fail at the last second and revert back to 1803. I even got MS...
  5. Cannot apply Nov and Dec updates to 1703

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot apply Nov and Dec updates to 1703: I have downloaded the November and December Cumulative update for Windows 10 v1703. Using the same process of going through the Windows Catalog as I have done for the last few years. The machines I am patching are stand alone so I transfer all the patches for the month and...
  6. Windows 10 unable to update past ver 1703

Windows 10 unable to update past ver 1703: Up and though ver 1703 Windows 10 was able to update itself without problems. Ever since 1703 Window 10 updates fail to install. What is irritating is I often get the message "We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Windows 10. Try restarting...
  7. Cannot disable automatic updates on Windows build 1703

Cannot disable automatic updates on Windows build 1703: Hello, So a few months ago I had to roll my computer back from Windows build 1803 to build 1703 due to many unsolvable bugs involving my GPU. Ever since, Windows has been trying to automatically download build 1803 everyday. I searched online for advice on how to turn off...
  8. Creator update 1703 downloads and installs, but then ...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creator update 1703 downloads and installs, but then ...: I have been trying for days now to update from 1607 (OS 14393.1358) to 1703. I've used Update Assistant and Media Creation Tool; the necessary files are downloaded and installed (which seems to take forever), but immediately upon rebooting, the computer reverts back to 1607....
  9. Cannot open apps after 1703 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open apps after 1703 update: Cannot open a couple of apps following the recent update (1703). Error message: Exception from secondary thread - app will terminate. Any idea how to get around this? Thanks! 98247
  10. Windows 1703 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 1703 update: Ever since the 1703 update last week a bunch of unwanted changes have appeared on my computer. One change all my desktop Ions were scrambled. Ok, so I'll put tem back where they were. Not so easy. It seems even though I have the "align to grid" turned off it sill wont let me...