Windows 10: Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5

Discus and support Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running ubuntu in a samsung 860 and I want to install windows 10 Pro in the M2 drive which is a Samsung 960. I built the USB with WoeUSB, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by marcosdipaolo, May 18, 2020.

1. Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5

I'm running ubuntu in a samsung 860 and I want to install windows 10 Pro in the M2 drive which is a Samsung 960.

I built the USB with WoeUSB, which is a known tool for ubuntu, using the image i downloaded from the microsoft website.

The process starts and when it comes to choose a hdd, i choose the m2 and it tells me it neither can find a suitable partition, nor create one.

I tried many things, i formatted the drive with NTFS, and created a partition, that didn't work.
    Then i tried formatting the drive with NTFS but whitout creating a partition, jst as unallocated space. That worked better since it let me create a partition on the fly, but even then it gives me the same message.

My system is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz on a Gigabyte z270x-ud5

Tried to insert images of the bios configuration but neither image insertion nor Attachment handeling are working as expected

:)

marcosdipaolo, May 18, 2020

2. gigabyte Z370 HD3 + Samsung EVO 970 won't install Windows 10

Newly assembled system:

• Gigabyte Z370 HD3 V1.0 motherboard
    • Intel i7-8700 CPU
    • 2x DDR4-3200 16GB RAM (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
    • Samsung EVO 970 500 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-V6E500)
    • Thermaltake TR2 S 500 W PSU (TRS-0500P-2)
    • Deepcool Tesseract case (seems doesn't matter)

All components come new, unpacked.

Windows 10 Pro installation failed at the step "Getting files ready for installation." when about 70-80% complete.

I used both the original Windows 10 Pro DVD and a USB stick prepared by a Microsoft tool; the result is the same.

I tried to use the pre-installation SATA driver from the Gigabyte website.
    Once I installed this driver at the step "Where do you want to install Windows", my M2 drive had disappeared from the list.

The same situation repeated with another set of components.

By the way, when I try the same set of components but with an ASUS Z370-P motherboard, there is no problem with Windows 10 installation.

I still need to assemble some systems with Gigabyte motherboards.

Update: It was easy to install Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. Same conditions: Gigabyte motherboard, but SATA SSD instead of M2 SSD.

Any suggestion what to do in order to install Window properly?

Konstantin, May 18, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

Read more: Samsung Electronics Accelerates the NVMe Era for Consumers with Its Highest Performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives Samsung Newsroom

Brink, May 18, 2020
  4. Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5

Cant install retail win10 to new M2 Drive

Hi, I just build a new system and was looking forward to finishing it off by installing Win10 to the M2 drive. It's a completely new ADATA 960GB drive with factory settings (only drive attached). ASUS ROG X470-1 Mobo, 16G G.Skill RAM. The ADATA drive shows
    up fine in POST and Im able to select the USB to boot in UEFI mode. The USB was purchased from a Microsoft retail shop, and comes on a 16G USB in FAT32.

However, every time the installation BSODs with stop code 0xc000021a after selecting with version of win10 to install (64 or 32). After googling, this seems to be a common problem many has encountered when installing one drives and Ive tried all recommended
    solutions without any luck, this includes:

Disabling CSM

Disabling Secureboot and enabling it, trying both Other OS and Windows UEFI

Clearing security keys and loading default ones

Booting both in UEFI and legacy modes

Nothing seems to work, and I do not have access to a computer to download and create a new USB drive.

Any suggestions on what to do?

/David

David H Jiang, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5

1. Cannot install Win10 on Samsung 960 M2 drive, on gigabyte z270x-ud5 - Similar Threads - Cannot install Win10

2. Installing win10 on m2 and battery problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing win10 on m2 and battery problem: Hi guys, I got a new Samsung 500gb m2 for my legion y530 , I was reading the steps of downloading win10 that I should unplug hdd and download the windows on m2 and then plug the hdd again and that was clear .... but some say that I should unplug the battery first before...
  3. Win10 install problem on m2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 install problem on m2: I bought a 970 evo m2 ssd and really cant install the w10 op on it. I followed these steps. Unplugged the other ssd. Enter the bios. Csm -> disable Secure boot -> other os Key management -> clear Plug usb and install win10. After reboot I entered the bios again. Secure boot...
  4. Cant install retail win10 to new M2 Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant install retail win10 to new M2 Drive: Hi, I just build a new system and was looking forward to finishing it off by installing Win10 to the M2 drive. It's a completely new ADATA 960GB drive with factory settings (only drive attached). ASUS ROG X470-1 Mobo, 16G G.Skill RAM. The ADATA drive shows up fine in POST and...
  5. Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung 960 Pro SSD max speed: Hello , not sure if this is the right place for this. Is there anyway to tell if I am getting the max speed out of my ssd? I have a feeling it's not. I double checked, I installed the nvme drivers, have the latest firmware. I have drive indexing turned off. I ran the Magician...
  6. Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - 960 Series: ========================================================= UPDATED Feb.6th 2018 ========================================================= I am seeing reports on the Samsung Forums that the new 4Bxxxxx Firmware is not working for everyone with the 960 Pro or only works for...
  7. Unable to Boot From Windows 10 USB Drive — Gigabyte X79-UD5

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Boot From Windows 10 USB Drive — Gigabyte X79-UD5: My system has got to the stage were I have to reinstall Windows 10. None of my data lives on the C: drive, so I have prepared a USB drive to install from, but am unable to get my Gigabyte X79-UD5 board to boot from USB. USB Legacy support is enabled. I am unable to us...
  8. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  9. Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of: installed W10 on the above drive. When I try to boot from it, it doesn't work. It says insert boot media. I had already installed W10 on the drive. And I can see the drive in BIOS and windows explorer when booting from another drive. Oddly, when I boot from an SSD drive...
  10. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 News
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives: [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO, its newest solid state drives (SSDs). The V-NAND based, M.2 form factor SSDs were built on the company’s category-defining...