Windows 10: Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Discus and support Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having trouble getting Windows 10 TP to install on my HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop. I have used this laptop to beta test Vista, Windows 7 and 8.0, as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ravenwing, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ravenwing Win User

Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

I am having trouble getting Windows 10 TP to install on my HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop. I have used this laptop to beta test Vista, Windows 7 and 8.0, as well as Office 2007 and 2010 and other software.

I Did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 only to make sure I had a clean machine. I first tried installing the Win 10 TP via the Update download, but, after nearly and hour I got the error that "Something happened and Windows cannot install", then I go back to my normal desktop. So I downloaded the 32 and 64 bit images and burned them each to a separate DVD using Nero, ImgBurn and the Windows 7 DVD burn software. I tried each DVD and all I got when I booted up after some length of time is the Blue Windows icon. It would go no further even after waiting two hours and I had to power off. I tried two different types of DVD media to make sure I had a good media and tried a moderate burn speed to see if that would make a difference. But, I got the same negative results. It will not install. I have used these same burn software many times before and have never had any failures.

While I am not a super computer expert, I am not a novice. I am an MS Tech Beta Tester and a MS MVP from 2005-2007, and I have been a MS Software and Computer instructor from 2005-2008 at two community colleges. I have tried everything I can think of to get the Win 10 TP to install on my test machine, and it has been upgraded to meet the requirements of the Win7 and Windows 8.1. So I don't see any reason why it should not be sufficient for Win 10 TP.
    All other Windows versions have installed without issue and run fine on this machine. I had Win 8.1 installed on this machine until 3 months ago and it ran fine.

I have also tried the same install process on one of my other test machines and get the same results. So I am not sure what the problem is.

I am hoping that someone here might have some suggestions or information they can provide that will help me get the Win 10 TP to install.

:)

ravenwing, Oct 24, 2014

2. Windows 10 download via Windows Update

If I download windows 10 tech preview via windows update, will the current drivers of my laptop remain, or do I need to install them after installing windows 10.?

SushantJain, Oct 24, 2014
  3. #Sunil Win User
    Windows profile

I had upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 tech preview. Had two partitions on the hard drive.

Created a user profile for a friend and left the laptop with him for few days. My Admin account is password protected. Some how he managed to install a fresh copy of windows 10 tech preview copy again with just his profile on.

He is a novice to computers and cannot recall how he had managed to do that. My problem is the partitioned drive D: I had password protected and now I cannot open the files and cannot copy them to a different location.

I get an error message saying that the folder is password protected. I have changed user/ owner gave access to all users, admins and what not.

I have some inportant docs/files in that folder. Is there any way I get my old profiles back?

Thank you

#Sunil, Oct 24, 2014
  4. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Hi and welcome to TenForums,
    Are you installing on top of win-7 as an upgrade ?
    You did join the early bird special program or did you get the download from another source ?
    Until an expert comes along please refer to the tutorial,
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

ThrashZone, Oct 24, 2014
  5. ravenwing Win User
    Hi TrashZone, and thank you for the welcome! Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop :)

Yes, I am a member of the early bird special program, and I tried to do the upgrade over the Win7 Ultimate SP1 by using the download and install from the online Windows 10 TP website. I have read the tutorial and followed the instructions. But, it still will not install.

I then tried to do an upgrade using the burned .iso DVD, but, only got the blue icon. The DVD ROM will read all other DVD's and install software just fine, so am not sure why it does not want to install the Win 10 from the DVD. I have downloaded the .iso's 3 times from the Win 10 TP website to be sure that I get a good download, and used the different burn programs to try to be sure I get a good burn. It just does not want to do any further than the blue icon.

ravenwing, Oct 24, 2014
  6. Hi thanks for the clarity,
    If your covering windows 7 I did notice you have Win-7 Ultimate installed which possibly it has something to do with the error or stall

I would suggest possibly doing a dual boot instead to see if that will work around the issue,
    I believe a flash drive is the preferred method because dvd's :/ they need to be rw's I believe ?
    You might go ahead and reattemp and boot to the dvd after making a new partition and see if that works,
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 24, 2014
  7. ravenwing Win User
    Thank you for the additional information, TrashZone. I don't have a USB Flash Drive that I can use for the install at the moment, but, I will get one. I will also try a dual boot. I've done this before when Beta testing Vista and Win 7 versions, so I will try it with the 10 TP. It will take a day or so to get the flash drive, but, I will post back if I have other issues or a successful install to let you and others know if it worked.

I read in another discussion that disabling the UEFI was suggested if using a DVD to install, but, I really rather not go that route if at all possible. I have had events where messing with the BIOS in HP computers is not always successful or provides the results you want. So I will see if the flash drive will work first, and then try the dual boot if that fails.

Thank you so much for your time and input. I truly appreciate it! *Thumbs

ravenwing, Oct 25, 2014
  8. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Hi,
    No problem I saw the response from Brink are resident super freak *Wink
    He would know *Biggrin
    Please do update us on the issue it will help others I'm sure
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 25, 2014
  9. The only one of those burning programs I would expect to burn an OS ISO flawlessly is ImgBurn and then only at 4x speed.

Did you boot it as a EFI device from the HP ESC boot menu?

Did you use Option One from UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows to create the flash stick installer.

Try wiping the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command.

Make sure all other drives are unplugged.

If these fail I'd reset BIOS to defaults. While there check what are the settings for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS and BIOS Boot Order choices.

gregrocker, Oct 26, 2014
  10. ravenwing Win User
    Hi gregrocker...sorry to take so long to get back to you, I have been visiting out of town. I have not yet been able to get the Windows 10 to install on the laptop, even after doing a reformat of the disk. I tried the ImgBurn at the speed you suggested and using a USB drive. All I get is the same blue Win8 icon and it goes no further.

Is there a newer update for the software that I can try? I have not seen one or gotten any notification of one, but, perhaps I am not looking in the right place.

ravenwing, Nov 12, 2014
  11. adamf Win User
    adamf, Nov 12, 2014
  12. Hi ...sorry to take so long to get back to you, I have been visiting out of town. I have not yet been able to get the Windows 10 to install on the laptop, even after doing a reformat of the disk. I tried the ImgBurn at the speed you suggested and using a USB drive. All I get is the same blue Win8 icon and it goes no further.

Is there a newer update for the software that I can try? I have not seen one or gotten any notification of one, but, perhaps I am not looking in the right place. You wouldn't use ImgBurn to write to flash stick. It is a disk burning utility.

To write ISO to flash stick use the tool I provided a link for above IF you have an EFI BIOS and are installing to UEFI and not Legacy BIOS. Otherwise use the tool in Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview -

Wiping the HD with Clean command is not formatting it. Did you actually wipe the drive?

I also asked you if you are booting the installer as an EFI device which is critical if you have an EFI BIOS. We need answers to these questions and not just skipping around. The skipped step is almost always the solution.

gregrocker, Nov 12, 2014
  13. ravenwing Win User

You could try the new 9879 build from here (if you don't mind Enterprise) http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/2/4/1/241BC554-B5F7-4E72-9115-DC069F1139F6/NovFlightDLC/9879.0.141103-1722.FBL_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_EN-GB.ISO
    Hi adamf.....what is the real difference between the Enterprise and the other OS's? I understand that the Enterprise is more for business and/or perhaps servers, but, would it work well enough on my laptop for overall testing?

Thank you so much for your time to reply, I truly appreciate it. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop :)

ravenwing, Nov 12, 2014
  14. ravenwing Win User
    Hi gregrocker.....I do understand that you would not use ImgBurn to burn an ISO to a flash drive, and sorry if I gave that impression in my reply. But, thank you for clarifying it for others who may not know.

I have checked my BIOS and I do not have an EFI BIOS, at least that I can find any relation to in the BIOS section of the BIOS. The BIOS version is F.19, and the KBC Version is 42.3A. The Boot order shows HD, Floppy Disk, Network Adapter in that order top down. Here is other information if it might help:

Motherboard Name: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion ZV6100 (PN494AV)
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz 3200+
    Physical Memory: Total - 2046 MB
    BIOS Type: Phoenix

I did not wipe the drive, I reformatted it. What is the difference, as others may not know well?

Thank you for your help.

ravenwing, Nov 12, 2014
  15. gregrocker, Nov 12, 2014
Thema:

1. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot install Tech

2. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  3. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  4. Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview: So recently, I've installed Windows 10 on a separate partition on my 500 GB hard disk that's about 40 GB, and it works perfectly. Except that I can't boot back into Windows 7. All of my files are still accessible and working, I just can't actually boot into the OS. When...
  5. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531
  6. Save or Open - Windows 10 Tech Preview Installation File

Save or Open - Windows 10 Tech Preview Installation File: Do I save or open the Windows 10 Technical Preview Installation File, if I am installing it in a virtual box? 3663
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Easy Way To Install Windows 10 Tech. Preview On My ASUS T100TA

Easy Way To Install Windows 10 Tech. Preview On My ASUS T100TA: Hi All, I've seen some post's in here concerning user's and their desire to try out windows 10 technical preview on a variety of different device's. I'm in that same group..of course I'm using the tech. preview (build 10049) on the my main laptop in a dual boot setup with a...
  9. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  10. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...