Windows 10: Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Discus and support Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Wiping the HD with Diskpart Clean Command is the single step that most overcomes installation failure, because it overwrites not only the partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ravenwing, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ravenwing Win User

Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Ok gregrocker, thank you for the clarification. One more question on this process, if I decide to dual boot on the laptop with the Win10, can I wipe just that partition that I want to install the OS on, or will it wipe the entire disk?

Thanks again for your help. I've been a MS Tech BT for over 15 years, and a MS MVP, and in all the beta testing I've done for MS during that 15 years, I've never had this much trouble installing a beta OS, including beta testing Vista and the Vista SP1 & SP2, and Win7 and Win7 Sp1 on this same laptop, so all these additional steps for this OS is a bit new to me. I thank you for your patience and assistance.

ravenwing, Nov 13, 2014

2. Wiping the HD destroys all partitions.

Are you presently trying to Dual Boot? If so Can we see a Disk Mgmt screenshot?

Confirm the ISO hash or download another and write stick again with tool in tutorial. Both tutorials are under signature pic below.

When you boot the stick using the HP ESC key and follow the steps, what happens exactly?

gregrocker, Nov 13, 2014
  3. ravenwing Win User
    Well...I have finally been able to get it to install. Not sure what did the trick, maybe it was to 10th burn that did it. Anyway, it is now installed and I will begin testing. Looks like a nice OS.

Thank you and the others for all your time and help. Now to go and have some fun with the new toy. *Biggrin

ravenwing, Nov 13, 2014
  4. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop

Glad to hear it *Smile

gregrocker, Nov 13, 2014
  5. Charlie Win User
    Ravenwing. Congrats on your install. You do know that it will update it's build at 2am if you are not already on build 9879. *Cool

Charlie, Nov 13, 2014
  6. ravenwing Win User
    Hi Charlie....what if my laptop is not on at 2:00a. I just got the first download installed, so I am likely due for the update, but, I don't leave my laptop on all night. Will it update when I start the laptop in the morning?

ravenwing, Nov 13, 2014
  7. This would only be if you've chosen to be on the Fast track for Technical Preview build updates, in PC Settings>Update and Recovery>Preview Builds.

You can set it to Fast and Download the latest build if it makes it available to you this soon after install. You can do this on your own time or set the time at the link on the page there. I am Downloading it now and will Install it myself tomorrow when the Downloading button turns to Install.

I'd recommend monitoring Windows Update by typing that its name in the Start Search box, open it to Check for Updates, install all Important and Optional to make sure you have needed drivers and patches.

More here to read about the newest build: New Windows 10 Preview build 9879 available

gregrocker, Nov 13, 2014
  8. ravenwing Win User

Thank you so much for the additional information and instructions. I truly appreciate it. *Biggrin

ravenwing, Nov 13, 2014
  9. Charlie Win User
    Hi ....what if my laptop is not on at 2:00a. I just got the first download installed, so I am likely due for the update, but, I don't leave my laptop on all night. Will it update when I start the laptop in the morning? Ravenwing*Rolleyes No. I guess not. Spose that would be the way to stop that. I wish I would have thought about that a couple of nights ago*Smile Enjoy and good luck

Charlie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot install Windows 10 Tech Preview on my laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot install Tech

2. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  3. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  4. Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview: So recently, I've installed Windows 10 on a separate partition on my 500 GB hard disk that's about 40 GB, and it works perfectly. Except that I can't boot back into Windows 7. All of my files are still accessible and working, I just can't actually boot into the OS. When...
  5. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531
  6. Save or Open - Windows 10 Tech Preview Installation File

Save or Open - Windows 10 Tech Preview Installation File: Do I save or open the Windows 10 Technical Preview Installation File, if I am installing it in a virtual box? 3663
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Easy Way To Install Windows 10 Tech. Preview On My ASUS T100TA

Easy Way To Install Windows 10 Tech. Preview On My ASUS T100TA: Hi All, I've seen some post's in here concerning user's and their desire to try out windows 10 technical preview on a variety of different device's. I'm in that same group..of course I'm using the tech. preview (build 10049) on the my main laptop in a dual boot setup with a...
  9. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  10. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...