Windows 10: Cannot launch device manager through start menu

Discus and support Cannot launch device manager through start menu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Attempting to launch device manager through the start menu yields an error box:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DanielStruk1, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Cannot launch device manager through start menu

Attempting to launch device manager through the start menu yields an error box:

::{26ee0668-a00a-44d7-9371-beb064c98683}\0\::{74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

This is the first time I have had this problem.

:)

DanielStruk1, Apr 20, 2020

2. Device Manager Missing

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the following details.

• Are you able to see device manager in Control Panel?

• What is the status when you click on the option?

• Do you see any error code or error message on the screen?

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

As a work around, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start Menu
    Check if you are able to see device manger in the pop up menu.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    device manager

Driver error code 28 is caused by a missing or corrupted driver. To troubleshoot this, kindly follow these steps:

• From Start, search for device manager and select Device Manager from the results.
    • Right-click the device in the list.
    • Select Uninstall from the menu that appears.
    • After the device is uninstalled, choose Action on the menu bar.
    • Select Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

Also, if you found any other driver errors on Device Properties>General, kindly specify it.

Let us know how things go.

Allan Mej, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Cannot launch device manager through start menu

Edge, start menu, IE, Search, Notifications, apps not launching and no sound

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the suggestions below and check if it fixes Edge, Internet Explorer, Search, Start Menu, Notifications and modern not launching:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type CMD.
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window
    Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the sound issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2

I suggest you to try updating the Sound drivers check if it works for you.
    Follow the steps to update the sound driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Sound, Video and Game Controllers’.
    • Right-click on the Sound device listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall the Sound driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Sound drivers check if it works for you.
    Follow the steps to uninstall the Sound drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Sound, Video and Game Controllers.
    • Right-click on the Audio devices listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and sound drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

Cannot launch device manager through start menu

1. Cannot launch device manager through start menu - Similar Threads - Cannot launch device

2. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  3. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  4. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Search launches with start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search launches with start menu: [ATTACH] After updating windows, every time I press the windows button, the search function also pops up. I tried killing it with the task manager but that doesn't fix it. Please help!...
  6. Windows 10 1809 Start Menu, Menu cannot launch PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1809 Start Menu, Menu cannot launch PowerShell: Cannot launch most apps especially PowerShell from right-click menu on Start Menu. I get a message indicating that PowerShell is missing or has failed and cannot be launced I have done the following Installed latest Updates SFC /ScanNow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  7. Start Menu won't launch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't launch: I've recently installed a fresh version of windows (was having PC issues) and all went well, apart from the fact I can no longer launch the start menu, which renders my PC essentially useless. I'd really appreciate some help here fixing the issue, as it is pretty vital. I've...
  8. Device Manager shortcut to taskbar/start menu?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Manager shortcut to taskbar/start menu?: Is there any way to add the Device Manager to the taskbar or start menu? I have a bluetooth dongle that I always need to disable/enable from that menu. 48675
  9. Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch: Hey all - After about 15-20 minutes of use my computer starts acting strangely. The Start Menu, Task Manager, and Programs wont launch, nothing works. If I have something open (Game/Browser/Whatever) whatever is open continues to function just fine. The computer wont restart...
  10. Start Menu and Quick Launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and Quick Launch: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 today, however the start menu will not open, and only certain items work when I right click on the windows icon. Also, the quick launch icons on the task bar do not work, and won't even let me right click them. Any help would be MASSIVELY...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device manager not opening from start menu