Windows 10: Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

Discus and support Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello! I am trying to remove myself from my Microsoft Family. I am not the admin. I have researched and found that Microsoft operates in accordance... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JoeSchmoe_64, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

Hello! I am trying to remove myself from my Microsoft Family. I am not the admin. I have researched and found that Microsoft operates in accordance with the COPPA statutes, so I should be able to do this. Yes, I have checked my account information, and it aligns with my real birth date. Is the admin of the family given the power to make this not possible? Please help if at all possible. Thank you for your time!

:)

JoeSchmoe_64, Mar 5, 2022

2. Leave family as a child

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to leaving the family group as a Child Account.

Based on my research, Microsoft Family uses the COPPA Law i.e. Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule, where in the child under age group 13 won’t be able to leave the Family. If you’re below 13 years of age then you need to seek permission from
    the adult of the Family group to make the changes you require.

For more information you may want to get in touch with the adult of your Family group.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 5, 2022
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 5, 2022
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

I cant leave my microsoft family!

I accidentaly joined my friends microsoft family when i created an ac.count on his xbox. he is listed as the parent and i am the child. I want to leave so i can download games without his permission on windowws. I am over 18. i am doing it on the website https://account.microsoft.com/family/
    and when i click leave family it says

Please try again later. We can't do this right now.

i have tried on differrent times but the result is always the same.

thank you

Edit: please reply quickly as i have to go away soon

Tenforo, Mar 5, 2022
Thema:

Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

1. Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13? - Similar Threads - Cannot leave Microsoft

2. how do I leave a family, it says I don't have consent even though I am over the age 13.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I leave a family, it says I don't have consent even though I am over the age 13.: a long time ago I joined a family account with someone, and I can't leave even though I am over the age 13 it says I don't have consent. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-leave-a-family-it-says-i-dont-have/331e13bb-51de-455d-8302-6ba2468c353a
  3. how do I leave a family, it says I don't have consent even though I am over the age 13.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I leave a family, it says I don't have consent even though I am over the age 13.: a long time ago I joined a family account with someone, and I can't leave even though I am over the age 13 it says I don't have consent. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-leave-a-family-it-says-i-dont-have/331e13bb-51de-455d-8302-6ba2468c353a
  4. If you can't leave family group below 13 but can above 13 then can you leave the family...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If you can't leave family group below 13 but can above 13 then can you leave the family...: I been seeing this a long time about someone leaving Microsoft family safety above 13 but CAN YOU leave the family group when you are 13? I am twelve waiting to be 13 so that I can use social media....
  5. Cannot leave Microsoft Family

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot leave Microsoft Family: I cannot leave a Microsoft Family. Both myself and the "Owner" have tried and it will not let me leave. The account is tied to my laptop profile, so I cannot join another family that has a D365 subscription. Basically my OneDrive is full and the laptop is virtually...
  6. Cannot leave Microsoft Family

Cannot leave Microsoft Family: I cannot leave a Microsoft Family. Both myself and the "Owner" have tried and it will not let me leave. The account is tied to my laptop profile, so I cannot join another family that has a D365 subscription. Basically my OneDrive is full and the laptop is virtually...
  7. Cannot leave family even though I'm doing everything right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot leave family even though I'm doing everything right: To start with, yes I have several community questions on this exact topic and none of the linked instructions work. Please read my full explanation.1. When I try to remove my child from my Family Group, I am told "Ask the family organizer who granted [my child] consent to...
  8. Cannot leave family even though I'm doing everything right

Cannot leave family even though I'm doing everything right: To start with, yes I have several community questions on this exact topic and none of the linked instructions work. Please read my full explanation.1. When I try to remove my child from my Family Group, I am told "Ask the family organizer who granted [my child] consent to...
  9. Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?: Hello! I am trying to remove myself from my Microsoft Family. I am not the admin. I have researched and found that Microsoft operates in accordance with the COPPA statutes, so I should be able to do this. Yes, I have checked my account information, and it aligns with my real...
  10. Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?

Cannot leave Microsoft family even though over 13?: Hello! I am trying to remove myself from my Microsoft Family. I am not the admin. I have researched and found that Microsoft operates in accordance with the COPPA statutes, so I should be able to do this. Yes, I have checked my account information, and it aligns with my real...