Windows 10: Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, after the latest Windows 10 update I've been having some issues with my microphone and making it listen to another recording device. Only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Love Nilsson, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update

Hello, after the latest Windows 10 update I've been having some issues with my microphone and making it listen to another recording device.
    Only playback devices show up in the "playback through this device", while before the update I could pick and choose between both playback devices and recording devices. Thanks!

Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update 9a0d9147-af25-46cd-a80f-8780dc4ceecc?upload=true.png

:)

Love Nilsson, Sep 21, 2019
  2. Elroy~ Win User

Microphones work through 'Listen to this device' -- Windows not recording audio

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with the recording devices in Windows. The connected microphones are all functional and I can hear myself through both (one internal mic and an external USB headset with mic) when I check 'Listen to this device'. However, beyond
    this point, no audio is recorded. Where the green bars are displayed next to the corresponding input microphone devices show no activity unless the 'Listen to this device' checkbox is ticked whereby, the green bars begin detecting audio for the internal mic,
    but disappear for the external USB headset even though I am able to hear myself.

This issue began after the Windows 10 April Update as there were no problems prior. I have tried several 'solutions' listed online including, changing various sound settings, deleting and installing the drivers again, reinstalling the operating system itself,
    etc.

Some insight into this issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Elroy~, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Unable to record audio from Microphone when connected through AUX

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to record sound when you connect an external Microphone to your PC. I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Run the recording troubleshooter to fix the issue with Microphones.

1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
    2. Under find and fix other problems click on Recording Audio.
    3. Now click on Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions.

Method 2:

Enable the Listen to this device settings.

1. Right click on the Speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
    2. Click on Sounds and under
      Recording
      Devices select the Microphone.
    3. Click on Properties and select
      Listen
      tab.
    4. Check the box Listen to this device.
    5. Now select the Default Playback Device under
      Playback through this device menu.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.
    7. Click on OK.

Once the settings are changed you will be able to hear the sound from the default playback device.

Method 3:

Update the audio drivers and check if the Microphone is working fine. Refer the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 21, 2019
  4. Chuck38 Win User

Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update

Headset microphone not recording when headset is default audio device

Have you checked to see if the microphone is disabled?

To make sure that the microphone is not disabled, please follow the steps below.
    a. Right click on the volume icon and select Recording devices.
    b. Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, Show disconnected devices and Show disabled
    devices.
    c. Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

Chuck38, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update

1. Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Cannot listen microphone

2. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...: My mic is Maono DM20. It doesnt playback on my speaker but when i connect my earphones to my mic, I end up hearing myself. I've already done all the suggested solutions online but none has worked....
  3. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...: My mic is Maono DM20. It doesnt playback on my speaker but when i connect my earphones to my mic, I end up hearing myself. I've already done all the suggested solutions online but none has worked....
  4. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10: Windows 10 allows PC users to listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. In this post, we will show you how to listen to microphone through a Playback...
  6. Is sound quality reduced in "Listen to this device" for recording devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is sound quality reduced in "Listen to this device" for recording devices?: I'm planning on setting a Virtual Audio Cable input as my default playback device and setting the VAC output (a recording device) to "Listen to this device" into my headphones. Would listening to all my audio through the "Listen to this device" setting reduce the audio...
  7. Laptop Noises When Recording Through Microphone After Windows Update

Laptop Noises When Recording Through Microphone After Windows Update: I need help guys, after i updated to windows 10 ver 1909 , there's a lot of noise when i am recording through the mic. Before i updated it , recording was fine , it didn't had any extra noises . I just suddenly had some noises after update that i can even barely hear what i'm...
  8. Play records through microphone line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Play records through microphone line: Hey guys i need your help. :) I'm looking for a programme that allow to play records (that i make) through microphone line. I work as a pollster at home, on my private computer (with Windows 10). And as it happens on this job, people quite rarely agree for an interview so...
  9. unable to listen to device through playback settings

unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...
  10. Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows: How to: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. You can...