Windows 10: Cannot load Win 10 on RAID 0 SSD config

Discus and support Cannot load Win 10 on RAID 0 SSD config in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I hope someone out there might have some insight to this very perplexing problem. I have had a Win 7 Pro machine (which was in a RAID 0 config using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AKHandyman, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Cannot load Win 10 on RAID 0 SSD config

I hope someone out there might have some insight to this very perplexing problem. I have had a Win 7 Pro machine (which was in a RAID 0 config using two Mushkin Reactor SSDs, 512GB each) which I updated to Win 10 sometime in Dec 2015. Not a single problem with the upgrade! Yea. Right after the Anniversary Update (which was early August), I noticed several wonky things happening like Blue screens saying things like CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and others which were very frustrating. I rolled back the AU and from that point every so often, I would get BSODs with a variety of code errors. I used Windows Tweaking AIO tool to try to fix things, but it just didn't seem quite right. I use this machine mostly for testing and gaming, so the loss of data wasn't super critical to me, other than a few games (which I back-up often). I decided it was time to do a clean bare-metal install, but I ran into a brick wall. After using MCT to get Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a USB flash drive, and resetting the RAID array on my ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 MB (updated the BIOS and Intel's RST drivers), I can't get past the "Copying Windows Files" in the install mode. No little dots following the words, it just gets stuck. I made sure the MCT was using EFI Windows install. I just can't get Win 10 to load on the Mushkin SSD's in RAID 0. I deleted the array and tried again, but to no avail. I then went back to my Win 7 Pro flash drive and the OS loaded up without a hitch. So, the question remains is this, is there something about loading Win 10 on a RAID 0 array that I'm not aware of? I know some will say why a SSD RAID 0 array to begin with? I'm addicted to speed and it was working very well in its previous state, but ever since the AU, it just plain didn't behave properly. Now I can't figure out how to get Win 10 back on my SSDs (RAID 0).

Any insights would be helpful.

:)

AKHandyman, Oct 21, 2016
  2. TEH2718 Win User

Windows 10 upgraded to wrong version (Home instead of Pro)

My problem is a little different: I have a PC (Alienware/Dell) that runs one app, dedicated. Because of app performance problems, I decided to move to Windows 10 Pro. While my PC had an upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro "in-place" option, I preferred to buy
    OEM Windows 10 Pro DVD (I'm old school).

My hardware includes 32GB RAM, RAID 0 SSD, 1TB HDD. I saved the original RAID 0 drives, bought a new SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro, no problem. Testing my application, I saw some performance degradation due to the single SSD. So, I purchased another
    SSD and re-installed Windows 10 on the new RAID 0 config.

Windows 10 Home installed on the new config. Windows 10 Pro installed on the single SSD install. The same config that ran Windows 8.1 Pro.

My disk pkg is labeled "Windows 10 Pro." I just want to do a clean OS install with what I paid for (twice).... btw, I tried to replace the product key to no avail.

Please help.

TEH2718, Oct 21, 2016
  3. MiekHawk Win User
    SB950 RAID DRIVER Preinstall Windows 10 ???

There are no raid drivers that work for any version of windows on the AMD SB950 raid controller, for SSDs.

AMD has known about this issue since 2013, but has done nothing about it.

Before Samsung released the EVO 850s, I did not realise this until I had already purchased a set of EVO 850 250gig SSDs. I am able to configure my raid array (Raid-0) & it is visible in BIOS. But Windows cannot see it, & the driver either fails to load,
    it isn't WHQL signed from Microsoft. Or the driver loads & the controller cannot allow it to be seen still.

Now on any Intel chipset from the P35 to the X99 chipset. The SSDs were visible. I've tested them. I just recently went to a newer AMD FX-8300, & also wanted to run these SSDs in Raid-0. Without success. I've been looking for any & all ways to get Raid to
    work on this controller. for about 2 months now.

MiekHawk, Oct 21, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot load Win 10 on RAID 0 SSD config

Hi there

In your RAID Setup menu is there an option to set something up as a BOOT device especially when defining ARRAYS and Logical Volumes on the RAID menu.

Sometimes you need to do this.

BTW you can often use a SINGLE HDD / SSD in RAID 0 with RAID controller to set as boot device (usually via Hardware RAID / BIOS RAID options).

My system gives you a RAID setup menu before Windows boots -- I create my "Arrays" - and when creating Logical drives I select my SSD as a SINGLE logical drive -- RAID 0 and the RAID controller has a checkbox - use as a BOOT device.

After that the standard BIOS just boots that drive as the Windows "C" drive.

There'll be loads of people on these boards who can't understand why you would ever create a SINGLE drive as a RAID 0 device

My answer to this is it depends on your hardware --I'm using a PROLIANT GEN 8 HP microserver -- I've connected an SSD to the "DVD" slot -- who needs DVD's any more on a server (use an external USB !!) - but the only way I could get this to work as the boot device was to set it up as RAID 0 as a single logical RAID drive. Otherwise I'd have to use AHCI and then I could only boot from one of the 4 HDD Bays -- since I use these Bays as a data storage repository for a NAS server using the SSD for the OS made far better sense.

Cheers

Jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Thanks for replying ... it wasn't but a few hours ago that I finally found out that one of my Mushkin Reactors was failing ... at least it gave me enough time to back up what I really needed. I've since went to a single 512GB SSD as my system drive and will look into upgrading to a MB that has an M.2 slot and give a NVMe SSD a go . But thanks for the info.*Wink

AKHandyman, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    While fast, a RAID 0 is a bad idea for a system drive since you're increasing the failure rate. If you want speed and your RAID card can handle 4 drives I'd go with a RAID 10.

Neemobeer, Oct 23, 2016
  7. I'm actually going to go for a super fast gaming set-up. Although I'm still on the Haswell platform, I believe I can still make a super fast gaming system utilizing a NVMe on a Z97 chipset

AKHandyman, Oct 23, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Some MB's only support PCIe NVMe M2 drives ...like my X99A-II , not SATA M2 drives so do your research, just saw this issue on another Forum.

You may have needed CSM enabled (or Disabled) for Legacy Storage Devices to get the Raid seen at boot by Win10 in a UEFI install ? I don't think Win7 would as it is not UEFI aware.... either that or you were losing the Boot Order on restart as win10 loads the Windows Boot Manager into the Bios as the 1st Boot Option , so you may need to enter the bios setup on restart and check it is set properly, then let Win10 install continue....

KB

Kbird, Oct 23, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

especially @Neemobeer

Actually I disagree here

If you have regular backups you can restore the OS easily and quick enough == a typical Windows OS on an SSD can be restored sometimes in as few as 5 - 10 mins -- well worth the usually unlikely penalty of an SSD failing - these days they are more reliable than classical "Spinners". The extra speed of RAID 0 pays here.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 25, 2016
  10. Neemobeer Win User
    That's a big IF you have backups. I mean if all you care about is speed then I say go for it, but I'd rather have a resilient system. SSDs are fast enough for most use cases and as you stated have a much lower failure rate. I run mostly Samsung 850 and 950 pro SSD drives.

Neemobeer, Oct 25, 2016
  11. dencal Win User
    My MSI gaming laptop covers all eventualities by having two SSD,s and a HDD setup being Raid 0.
    Backups going onto the HDD, any failure being covered.

Replying to the original thread starter updating from W7 to W8 then 8.1 and finally to W10 presented no problems.

dencal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot load Win 10 on RAID 0 SSD config - Similar Threads - Cannot load RAID

2. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  3. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  4. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  5. Win 10 raid 0

Win 10 raid 0: So, I have a server trying to install Windows 10 on. I ran into some issues. It doesn't see my HD during the setup and i am assuming I need a raid0 driver of some kind? Secondly, how do I get Windows 10 to display the full drive since its a 2X2TB setup that I setup as raid0...
  6. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...
  7. Raid 0 ssd drive

Raid 0 ssd drive: HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it? I deleted a...
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Defraggler + SSD raid 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defraggler + SSD raid 0: So i've lived with this for alotta years. Its now on my short list of "things that irk me" to sort out. Ive waited iteration after iteration for piriform to sort it out. I've installed driver after driver for my raid controller. Different versions of windows. The problem...
  10. RAID 0 SSD Windows 10 Disk Read Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RAID 0 SSD Windows 10 Disk Read Error: I bought two new SSDs to be used in a RAID 0 configuration with a Dell 9020 under Windows 10. Before the drives I arrived I configured two old HDDs in RAID 0 and installed Windows 10 as a clean install. This worked perfectly. Once the new SSDs arrived I configured...