Windows 10: Cannot log-in after update.

Discus and support Cannot log-in after update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just turned on my HTPC and it has updated to a more recent build, however, it will not accept my password. I have reset my password at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KevinHeath, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Cannot log-in after update.

Just turned on my HTPC and it has updated to a more recent build, however, it will not accept my password. I have reset my password at account.live.com/password/reset but to no avail.

I had a similar problem with my laptop. A password reset online done the trick, but not this time...

I tried unplugging the internet so I could try and log in with the last password, but....no.

How can I get in?

:)

KevinHeath, Jul 23, 2015

2. Windows 10 Update Fail - cannot log in after update

Well this did allow me to log in after two days. The computer desktop is severely scrambled, missing icons, applications apparently removed in the process.

I will look to see if there is a fixed for "Removed Apps"

Thanks for posting!

Mountain Man 08, Jul 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update Fail - cannot log in after update

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and I'll be glad to assist you.

For Login problem with Microsoft Account. Follow the steps.

1. Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.

2. Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.

1. If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: If this fails, check to see if there is a different language in use and use the correct “Administrator” name

2. Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.

3. Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit and go to the following key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities

4. Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.

5. Then continue with step 4 below.

3. Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.

1. Start Regedit.

2. Select the HKEY_USERS key.

3. Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT

4. When prompted, name it “def”

5. Select this key:

HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities

6. Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.

4. Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.

5. Delete the key.

6. If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File, Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.

7. Restart the PC and test sign-in.

8. Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the customer’s PC secure.

I hope this post is helpful. Get back to us for further queries.

Raju S Das, Jul 23, 2015
  4. Cannot log-in after update.

Perseverance was the key. Eventually, it worked.

KevinHeath, Jul 23, 2015
Thema:

Cannot log-in after update.

1. Cannot log-in after update. - Similar Threads - Cannot log update

2. After updating to windows 11 cannot log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After updating to windows 11 cannot log in: Hello, I finally decided to upgrade to windows 11 and upon completing the upgrade my computer is stuck on the windows 11 log in screen, it will say other user and when I try my local login it says incorrect. When I try to log in with the option for Microsoft account it says...
  3. After updating to windows 11 cannot log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After updating to windows 11 cannot log in: Hello, I finally decided to upgrade to windows 11 and upon completing the upgrade my computer is stuck on the windows 11 log in screen, it will say other user and when I try my local login it says incorrect. When I try to log in with the option for Microsoft account it says...
  4. Cannot log in to domain after Windows Update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot log in to domain after Windows Update: Hello all,After a Windows Update, logging screen in Windows 10 changed from domain/local to live account.A computer I'm using is company provided, domain joined. It worked for more than a year without any problems.The screen looks like attached below: I do own two types of...
  5. Cannot log in to domain after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot log in to domain after Windows Update: Hello all,After a Windows Update, logging screen in Windows 10 changed from domain/local to live account.A computer I'm using is company provided, domain joined. It worked for more than a year without any problems.The screen looks like attached below: I do own two types of...
  6. Cannot log in to domain after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10: Cannot log into computer after update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10: Cannot log into computer after update: I updated my computer last week when I was about to close the computer. It shows that I needed to update and then shut down so I did it. Then yesterday when I went to log into my computer, I typed in my PIN, but I doesn’t work for some reason. I realized it said “sign in...
  8. Cannot log into Windows account after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot log into Windows account after update: On my son's computer we cannot log into his windows account after restart. This issues appeared after his latest Windows update last week. When you attempt to log in, it gives an error saying Windows cannot log you in and it logged you in under a user or temporary account. We...
  9. Cannot log into Windows 10 after Update

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot log into Windows 10 after Update: [ATTACH]Sometimes Windows 10 Update does not go as planned, and you may end up waiting to sign-in to your account. You may see login in […] This article Cannot log into Windows 10 after Update first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Cannot log in after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot log in after upgrade: Just upgraded my work pc to windows 10. Haven't gotten to the desktop yet. I cannot no longer log in. It does not recognize my password. This has never happened before. Also, my login prompt under 8.1 was just the password. Now it also presents me with a selection for the...