Windows 10: Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized.

Discus and support Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Issue: Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized. Problem started on Thu Jan 4, 2018. Computer: This is my son’s HP ProBook 6560b Win10 Pro... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized.

Issue: Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized. Problem started on Thu Jan 4, 2018.
    Computer: This is my son’s HP ProBook 6560b Win10 Pro (x64) notebook. We live quite a few miles apart so we are talking about this issue over the phone.

He gets account.live.com to recover or change his password I guess as I’ve never had to do that.
    However he never created a Microsoft account as he only has a local administrator account.

I was able to get him into Advanced Options and it requested his gmail account.
    He hasn’t used his gmail account for about 6 months and doesn’t remember the password he created but he’ll go through Google's procedure to recover or change his password on another computer. Is the gmail account equivalent to a Microsoft account and will that help him with his Windows log on screen even though he only has a local administrator account?

But I have an additional very important question: on the account.live.com to recover or change his password what good is that when someone can’t even log into Windows even if a Microsoft account is being used? What are the options to be able to use in a situation like this? I did find an article on how to use it but I don't see how that's useful when you can’t log into Windows & connect to the internet.

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 7, 2018

2. windows live password change not recognized.

i changed my windows live password today, and now i cannot update my apps on my phone because it asks me to log in and doesn't recognize my password. what do i do?

claudiamendoza, Jan 7, 2018
  3. Cannot log into bank account in Google Chrome

Using google chrome and windows 10 i cannot sign into my capitalone bank account. It doesnt recognize my user name or password. I can log in on my other pc using google chrome and windows 7. In addition have no trouble using IE. Windows 10 the problem?

Original Title: Cannot log into bank account

AnthonyBivianoXZ, Jan 7, 2018
  4. Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized.

Lots of questions, hope I can answer a few.

If your son is using a local account no online password resets will help.

If he is using his outlook.com (Hotmail, live, msn) email account as his Microsoft account then you should be able to update at account.live.com

If he is not using a Microsoft email account for as his Microsoft account then you would reset password at account.microsoft.com

If he used his gmail account as his Microsoft account you would use the account.microsoft.com to reset. His gmail account and gmail password are just that, gmail. MS gave us the option to reuse the name for id purposes but it is a separate account with verification on Microsoft servers. (Wish they hadn't done that.)

It sounds like your son was using a local account so most of the above is useless.

When he keys in his password he should see a symbol, to the right of his password, and if he clicks on that it will expose his password. We do this to ensure it is being keyed as intended.

I usually set up machines with to administrator accounts, the second one being like a second set of keys to the cars for situations like this. If his profile is corrupt he will need to activate the built in admin and reset it. Option Five in this tutorial.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 7, 2018
  5. Thank you Ken, all of your information is helpful to me.
    Also I'm a fan of setting up an Elevated Administrator account but I've gotten away from it because I get these comments and stares like "don't bother" in polite terms. But I will do so on my son's computer the next time we visit each other.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 7, 2018
  6. I don't activate the built in Admin unless needed. I just set up two local admin accounts. One for the user and the second as that second set of keys.

Hope this is just a keyboard issue, numlocks or something. Let us know how it goes.

Caledon Ken, Jan 7, 2018
  7. Excellent advice, thanks again.

Another question comes to mind: is it possible to save the data on a computer in this situation?
    --- I wouldn't try it myself as we live too far apart for me to try it, I would tell my son to bring the computer to a local computer shop.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized.

Caledon Ken, Jan 8, 2018
  9. I like that. It's quite an extended thread so I'll have to go through it. His computer has either version 1703 or 1709, I'll have to ask him which on it is. I haven't seen a download for either one of those versions in that thread yet, is 1703 or 1709 included on one of those pages?

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 8, 2018
  10. No need to go through thread. We don't care about version per say as it is an independent OS. You are just using to copy data in a windows environment.

Grab either the 32 or 64, likely the 64 bit.

The two downloads are just a little way down the opening page. It is a good thread to read, when you get a moment.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Good to know. Thanks again.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized.

1. Cannot log into Windows: password not recognized. - Similar Threads - Cannot log password

2. password not recognized

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    password not recognized: I am trying to change my drive to gpt with the mbrgpt tool through the recovery-troubleshoot-command line but I can't get in because the procees says I am using the wrong password. I have reset my password and my password works okay in windows but no matter what I do it never...
  3. Pin not recognized, cannot log into my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin not recognized, cannot log into my laptop: My colleague's login Pin is not working, she has been using this for a couple of months now with no issues! When she tries to reset her Pin, a validation code is being sent, but it is being sent to her old phone, she now has a new number, but can't change this in her...
  4. Pin not recognized, cannot log into my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin not recognized, cannot log into my laptop: My colleague's login Pin is not working, she has been using this for a couple of months now with no issues! When she tries to reset her Pin, a validation code is being sent, but it is being sent to her old phone, she now has a new number, but can't change this in her...
  5. Cannot log into microsoft account because password is incorrect. Cannot reset password...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot log into microsoft account because password is incorrect. Cannot reset password...: I am trying to install Windows on a new hard drive. Unsurprisingly, Windows/MSFT are doing their utmost to make me regret this decision every step of the way. When it comes to the step where I'm supposed to sign into my Microsoft account, it will not accept my correct...
  6. Cannot Log on Windows 10 Computer - Forgot Password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot Log on Windows 10 Computer - Forgot Password: Tried to boot uo in Safe Mode to fix a problem with 3rd party software. It asks for a Password which I haven't used in years / am used to using a Pin. I'm in Florida for 3 months and my password is written down in Ohio. How can I get signed in to my Computer? I have tried...
  7. Cannot log in with my password in Safe Mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot log in with my password in Safe Mode: can you help me please? I turn my windows 10 to safe mode, but it cant log in with my password, I have try to make it to safe mode with metworking, but it still cant login because my PC cant connect to amy metwork... i use wifi amd usb thetering and its still cant connext and...
  8. Cannot exit safe mode. Password is no longer recognized

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot exit safe mode. Password is no longer recognized: I’m stuck in Safe Mode. I have tried several online suggestions but all sooner or later require my pssword which is now not recognized. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-exit-safe-mode-password-is-no-longer/0d13bdf9-8db7-49b9-b3e1-330719c66b45"
  9. Cannot log into windows using picture password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot log into windows using picture password: Hi. I have been using Windows 10's Picture Password for more than a year now. Sometime in the 3rd week of December of 2018 this option is no longer showing, and cannot log into Windows and all of my files. I am not sure if this somehow related to to True Key, but the True...
  10. Password not recognized

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password not recognized: I am using Windows 10 and went to system configuration and set it to boot into "Safe Mode". Now when I restart the computer it goes to the password screen. I enter the password and it comes back with the message "Password not recognized". I know it is the correct password, so...