Windows 10: Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode

Discus and support Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I booted my Windows 10 laptop this morning it went into a disk repair mode. Since then I cannot login. I get to the login screen, type in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoanneLehrman, May 25, 2020.

1. Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode

When I booted my Windows 10 laptop this morning it went into a disk repair mode. Since then I cannot login. I get to the login screen, type in my password, and the little dots just spin. I've tried multiple ways to get to boot in safe mode or to get to repair mode and each time it asks me to select which user. Only my name comes up, and when I click it, it just hangs. I do have a recovery drive and a system repair disc but they are quite old. I made them back when I got the laptop around 5 years ago

:)

JoanneLehrman, May 25, 2020

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 25, 2020
  3. Window 10 unable to login with normal and safe mode with correct password

Hi Team,

Today i stuck to login on windows 10 with correct password, i follow same on safe mode but it does not work.

I tried with safe mode with Network but no luck.. Below steps i followed for safe mode...

Troubleshoot> Advanced Options> Startup Settings> Restart>Safe Mode with Networking.O

Here i re-enter the password and it doesn't work.

Please suggest...

RohitPanchalPanchal, May 25, 2020
  4. Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode

1. Cannot login, cannot get to safe mode - Similar Threads - Cannot login cannot

2. Cannot boot up safe mode from login screen, cannot login either?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot up safe mode from login screen, cannot login either?: Last night I was downloading and extracting PS2 rom files. Whilst in the middle of all this i got the blue screen of death and then my computer restarted. This is where the login screen goes completely blue, where i click on the screen to login, there is no input of putting...
  3. Cannot boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode: Hello. When I turn my computer on, it tells me it has run into a problem and needs to restart. It gives me this error code: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO it then restarts and attempts to self-repair and invariably fails. I have tried all methods of booting into safe mode available...
  4. cannot get out of windows safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot get out of windows safe mode: pressed the get button nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-out-of-windows-safe-mode/ee25ffc3-49e3-4ab4-8208-221cb9bef4ec
  5. Cannot exit/ login from safe mode.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot exit/ login from safe mode.: Hello guys , I am facing an issue regarding the login screen of the safe modein windows 10. I needed to reinstall some of my graphic drivers so i restarted my pc to safe mode and after restarting i tried logging in using the pin i set and it didn't work. I then tried using...
  6. Cannot reboot to get to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot reboot to get to safe mode: Need to reboot to open safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/cannot-reboot-to-get-to-safe-mode/daf5089b-968f-4cbd-94ea-75a03076d82f
  7. No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.: Am helping a friend set her PC back up after it has been stored (everything unplugged) for about 9 months. When we first went to turn it on the fans kicked in and it would appear to start booting up but then turn itself off again after about 10 or so seconds of activity. It...
  8. Cannot enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter safe mode: Hi, My Asus laptop is stuck in a startup repair loop while trying to fix error 0x80070091, I've tried following things: Use this guide: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Help Forums Use the option 'reset this pc' and tried to use 'system recovery' but all...
  9. Cannot get out of Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get out of Safe Mode: I was having difficulty with flashing and went into safe mode to try to figure out which program was causing it but now whenever I reboot I am still in Safe Mode. 18939
  10. Cannot get into safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get into safe mode: Hey everyone, I'm trying to get into safe mode as a last resort for solving a 'boot to black screen' problem, but it's been impossible for 7 hours of attempts now. I can't login--I can't even get past the blinking cursor screen (it just goes black infinitely), so only...