Windows 10: Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag

Discus and support Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Symptoms: I came home from work last night to witness my gaming desktop computer (which I leave on often) being absurdly slow to an unusable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Michael Hanson (mhanson), Oct 12, 2018.

1. Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag

Hi all,

Symptoms: I came home from work last night to witness my gaming desktop computer (which I leave on often) being absurdly slow to an unusable point.. I restarted, but I got the same problem as soon as I hit the welcome screen. The keyboard and mouse are both responsive, but extremely slow. It takes several minutes (between 5 and 10) to even get to/type in my password after the initial welcome screen pops up- the screen can't keep up with the rate I type the keys, and often it bounces between the welcome screen and password input. When I finally get the password in and login, the circle spins for maybe 20-30 minutes before the desktop actually loads. Sometimes windows doesn't load and it's just black for 15-20 minutes. When it does load,even using the start menu or doing anything is still impossibly slow with impossible or no response times to key/mouse input.

What I know: I have no installed any new programs or made any recent hardware changes. I have a 2nd keyboard I now have plugged in place of my wireless and experience same problem. I have disconnected all other devices besides mouse, but tried with that removed. I am running Windows 10 (upgraded some time ago from 8.1) have 16gb ram (2 sticks, which I have tested individually and get the same result removing either), intel i5-3570 processor, and things have been running for years without a hitch. I do not know if Windows did an update in the background that may have caused this, but I know there are no other users of this computer besides me (password protected too).

USB Boot: I have attempted to make a windows 10 repair USB to help. I can boot off of it, but going to 'troubleshoot' no options seem to help:
    -System Restore, when I choose this it says "To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, then select System Restore. .....this does not work because I literally cannot do anything in Windows

-Startup Repair, Couldn't repair my PC.

-Go Back to the Previous Version, "we ran into a problem and wont be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead (Troubleshoot > Reset this PC)" .... I cannot get to "Troubleshoot", or anywhere in Windows 10 to do this.

-System Image Recovery, "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach the backup hard disk or insert final dvd blah blah..." .... can't find an image. I CAN however search my hard drives for an image, if I knew what folder it'd be located in and what it'd be called? It looks like my hard drive/files are all there and intact fine..

-cmd prompt, I tried rstrui.exe and I get the same error as -System Restore above^^^. Not sure what else I could try here.

None of the USB options listed above/under "Troubleshoot" worked at all, so I tried "Install now" to install Windows 10... that also was unsuccessful. I put in key, accept license- "Upgrade" does not work. Probably because I've already upgraded to Windows 10.. I can choose Custom Install Windows Only, but I cannot install Windows on any of my hard drives. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.". This is admittedly gibberish to me.. I have junk HDs somewhere and will try to format and install on one of those next if I can't get any other suggestions out of the community here. I do not want to format my current hard drive with the windows install. Repairing would be ideal.

Thanks for reading, and any input or suggestions you may have.

:)

Michael Hanson (mhanson), Oct 12, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 over heating and sudden shut down

I need a fix for windows 10 extreme over heating and sudden shut down. I am not very techno minded so I need a step by step guide please!

Moved from Insider

PaulineMahon, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Jose Est Win User

Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag

1. Cannot login to windows 10; sudden extreme, unusable lag - Similar Threads - Cannot login sudden

2. Cannot login without internet suddenly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot login without internet suddenly: Hello,I am currently in a region where I do not have access to the internet, but this has not been an issue for my PC for months until today. I went to login but instead of being promoted to enter my pin the login screen is asking to sign in then will immediately prompt to...
  3. Cannot login without internet suddenly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot login without internet suddenly: Hello,I am currently in a region where I do not have access to the internet, but this has not been an issue for my PC for months until today. I went to login but instead of being promoted to enter my pin the login screen is asking to sign in then will immediately prompt to...
  4. Extreme keyboard lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extreme keyboard lag: I was just making a video on ROBLOX and in the middle of it, I go to walk in-game and it doesn't respond, so I just try again, it doesn't work. so I mash keys trying to make it work, and it works after TEN. PAINFUL. MINUTES. Did I mention I was recording during this and was...
  5. Windows 10 lagging all of a sudden.

Windows 10 lagging all of a sudden.: Hello, today I noticed something strange about my windows. I wanted to open up paint but it wouldn't open, I tried to open the search bar via hotkeys but It also didn't work. I've tried to open up a game and it didn't have any problems, the game was smooth and opened...
  6. Windows Explorer is extremely slow and unusable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer is extremely slow and unusable: I've been having this issue on my work PC for the last day. My windows explorer suddenly started to run slow and be completely unusable . I have tried numerous things that I have found online and still no luck. I even restored my PC using a restore point of yesterday morning...
  7. Windows 10 suddenly extremely unstable

Windows 10 suddenly extremely unstable: Hi, This is one of the very first times ive used Ms community so this question is probably not formatted correctly, you'll have to forgive me. Over the past year or so ive owned my current computer ive taken good care of the system, using disk cleanup often and keeping...
  8. WIndows 10 extremely slow login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    WIndows 10 extremely slow login: Hello everyone, I recently started noticing that windows would take extremely long to log in to my account. I would see the prompt for my PIN, type it in and the "Welcome" wheel would start spinning. And it would keep spinning for about 5 minutes before finally logging in....
  9. Windows 10 login extremely slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 login extremely slow: This has been posted before as far back as 2015 but there is very little resolution of the problem from Microsoft's side. I have seen this on two machines. On my current machine it happened almost immediately after I bought it and no additional software has been installed on...
  10. Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 ethernet suddenly extremely slow: About a month ago, I assembled a new desktop build. The ethernet was initially very slow, but installing the Realtek ethernet drivers fixed that. About three weeks ago, I shut the computer off. I came back to it yesterday, and upon booting it up, the ethernet was extremely...