Windows 10: Cannot make Chrome as default browser

Discus and support Cannot make Chrome as default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sodapop, Apr 25, 2016.

1. sodapop Win User

Cannot make Chrome as default browser

I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to terms etc etc and it does not work. The next time I log in with Chrome it asks me to make it a default again. When I go through the procedure via settings, choose defaults etc, and it does not take. When I click on the Chrome nothing happens and the default icons on desktop are all those of Edge. Rebooting does not help. What am I doing wrong? Please Helpo

soda

:)

sodapop, Apr 25, 2016

2. Cannot set Google Chrome as default browser on Windows 10

The path is correct *if* Chrome is installed per-system. If it's installed for your profile, then the path would be:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Right-clicking the Google Chrome shortcut and checking Properties would tell you the correct path.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 25, 2016
  3. AlanD96 Win User
    AlanD96, Apr 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  5. sodapop Win User
    Everything suggested to make Chrome default fails. Why am I forced to use Edge?, it constantly wipes out bookmarks. Chrome is my preference, is that not possible in windows 10?. Had to start a new post as the old one would not accept my reply. Please let me know why Microsoft does not allow any other browser. No problem with other defaults. Very frustrated when I have tries all of the normal methods of making a default browser and chrome even asks me when I log in with it if I want it to be my default. I click yes and still nothing.

sodapop, Apr 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's not MS stopping you- plenty of people use other browsers including Chrome.

The prompt from Chrome will not help you, as programs are not allowed to set themselves as default from Win 8. That has to be done from Settings, Control Panel, or Open With.

Can I ask a different question..how do you know it isn't your default browser? What are you clicking on that brings up Edge rather than Chrome? and you seem to be saying you can't launch Chrome at all - can you confirm?

Perhaps your user profile is corrupt.

Try creating a new user for test purposes, and installing Chrome when logged in to the new user.

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  7. sodapop Win User
    So what is the answer?

sodapop, Apr 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

See #4 here
    Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge - Windows 10 Forums

and this may give an idea
    Google Chrome is not your default browser problem - Windows 10 Forums

Can I ask a different question..how do you know it isn't your default browser? What are you clicking on that brings up Edge rather than Chrome? and you seem to be saying you can't launch Chrome at all - can you confirm?

Perhaps your user profile is corrupt.

Try creating a new user for test purposes, and installing Chrome when logged in to the new user.

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  9. snoopy51 Win User
    Sodapop:

Welcome to Ten Forums!
    Change default browser to Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer has been done by many here without any problem!
    Since we don't know your configuration in 'My System Specs' or the version of Windows 10 you have, the only suggestion is:

1. Backup your hard drive with an Image Backup program.
    2. Perform a 'Clean Install' just like:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
    3. Do not install and security software. Now try to change the default browser.

Please fill in System Specs if you can. Hope you enjoy your stay with us!

snoopy51, Apr 25, 2016
  10. sodapop Win User
    Chrome is now my default browser. Not sure what I did but it suddenly started to work. All the desk top browser icons I have now reflect that. Thank you ALL for your replies.

soda

sodapop, Jun 7, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Great. Remember you cannot make a program the default from within the program itself.
    This must be done in Settings, the Control Panel or Open with.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2016
  12. stargazr Win User
    OK, this issue has been dogging me since I upgraded to Win 10.

As described above, Outlook 2013 and other apps were asking me each and every time I clicked on a link to choose a default browser (Chrome in my case). Checking the box to remember the choice DID NOT work. I tried all the online suggestions I could find--most listed above as well--none worked for me. One suggestion to uninstall and re-install Chrome did not work either but led to me discovering what did work, for me:

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs

Choose: "Set program access and computer defaults" link
    Select: "Custom" and click the dropdown arrow, then under "Choose a default browser:" choose Chrome (or whatever) and click "Enable access to this program".
    Click OK

*I also double-checked a few other defaults to make sure they were set as I wanted.

As a test, I opened Outlook 2013 and clicked on a link inside an email. It popped up the same window asking for the default browser--I was not encouraged, but I selected Chrome and selected to mark it as default. It worked!! No more annoying popup in either Outlook or other apps.

If this helps anyone out there, I'll be happy because I've been searching for months -- coming back to the problem over and over-- and now the irritation for me is finally gone.

stargazr, Jun 9, 2016
  13. Gareth Win User

appears to be typical MS bs. I'M REGRETTING BUYING ANOTHER WINDOWS BASED SYS

Gareth, Jun 26, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 26, 2016
  15. stargazr Win User
    I tried all the same general and obvious answers that did not work, but finally I figured it out. You may want to try the solution I found - after months of searching and testing various approaches.

See Cannot make Chrome as default browser - Windows 10 Forums

Here are the exact steps again:

OK, this issue has been dogging me since I upgraded to Win 10.

As described many places in this thread above, Outlook 2013 and other apps were asking me each and every time I clicked on a link to choose a default browser (Chrome in my case). Checking the box to remember the choice DID NOT work. I tried all the online suggestions I could find--most listed above as well--none worked for me.

One suggestion to uninstall and re-install Chrome did not work either but led to me discovering what did work, for me:

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs

Choose: "Set program access and computer defaults" link
    Select: "Custom" and click the dropdown arrow, then under "Choose a default browser:" choose Chrome (or whatever) and click "Enable access to this program".
    Click OK

*I also double-checked a few other defaults to make sure they were set as I wanted.As a test, I opened Outlook 2013 and clicked on a link inside an email. It popped up the same window asking for the default browser--I was not encouraged, but I selected Chrome and selected to mark it as default. It worked!! No more annoying popup in either Outlook or other apps. If this helps anyone out there, I'll be happy because I've been searching for months -- coming back to the problem over and over-- and now the irritation for me is finally gone.

stargazr, Jun 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot make Chrome as default browser - Similar Threads - Cannot Chrome default

2. Why can't I make chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't I make chrome my default browser?: When I go Setting > Default Apps > web browser then click on it only microsoft edge and opera pop up. Do I need to reinstall chrome? Am I being an idiot? please help. submitted by /u/puffydefish [link] [comments]...
  3. Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?: When I upgraded to 10Pro, from 10Home- Edge changed from Chrome Default to Edge Default? I Never use Edge, and prefer the Chrome Security features... Is there a reason to make Chrome Default (Sync is On)? If so- How do I do this, and Not get nagged by Edge? 173980
  4. I can't make google chrome my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't make google chrome my default browser: [ATTACH] So I set google chrome to be my default browser but whenever I click the "windows" button and search for something, it goes directly to microsoft edge. I am not sure how to fix that....
  5. How do I make Chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Chrome my default browser?: how do I stop MSN automatically loading up when I connect to the Internet, I have to keep closing it and opening chrome, also when start-up my computer doesn't automatically connect to the Internet, I have to keep man,ually connecting it though I've ticked the box...
  6. How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10: I am not getting the way to set Chrome as default browser permanently. Just give the steps to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-chrome-default-browser-in-windows-10/90038208-eac7-4935-92a3-9bb0e17f6cc8
  7. how does one make Chrome the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    how does one make Chrome the default browser: I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will still open up Microsoft Edge. The question for today is ... how does one stop an attachment file stubbornly opening up Edge...
  8. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202
  9. Had to make CHROME my Default Browser in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Had to make CHROME my Default Browser in Windows 10: I used the free Windows 10 upload from Microsoft to update my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 was working great, then all of a sudden a couple of days ago, I kept getting fatal error messages, my computer was connected to the Internet but programs kept...
  10. Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge: Hello & Thanks , Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge . When in Chrome and I click make chrome default , nothing happens . And Edge won't let go . How to fix . Thanks...Vern 35805