Windows 10: Cannot make Chrome as default browser

Discus and support Cannot make Chrome as default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; To make programs default in Win 10 (&8) you cannot do it from within the program. Via Settings or the Control Panel, or rt click, 'Open With' for... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sodapop, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dalchina New Member

Cannot make Chrome as default browser

To make programs default in Win 10 (&8) you cannot do it from within the program.
    Via Settings or the Control Panel, or rt click, 'Open With' for individual extensions.

Most programs do not yet warn about this.

However, installing a 'registered' program that could handle an an extension already associated gives rise to the rather annoying recurrence of the prompt 'Which program would you like to open this with' (or similar) when you click on the already associated extension.

dalchina, Jun 27, 2016
  2. stargazr Win User

Not sure I understand your statement regarding Control Panel and "registered" programs. What I can say is the approach I took after researching this very annoying problem for months and following numerous unsuccessful suggestions found in this forum and others (all that seemed to be logical, obvious and reasonable) the final solution for me were the steps I detailed above. Perhaps I just "lucked into" a work-around and this will eventually be addressed by Microsoft.

stargazr, Jun 27, 2016
  3. VenKazi Win User
    Im having the same problem but i cant choose any default app

VenKazi, Jul 14, 2016
  4. gmoore436 Win User

No matter how many times I clicked the Chrome browser in the Win10 settings screen, it wouldn't take.
    Read this thread, then I realized, I need to go to the Control Panel, not the Edge "Apps". I remembered when we had to set up our printer to work with Win10 we had to search for the control panel.
    Pull up the menu on the start button (now a little window icon, not the round button it used to be) and type "control panel" ( at least start typing, it will show a search bar.) Then type in Control Panel and the old version of the panel pops up. I was able to change the default browser by going to Programs, finding Chrome (already installed) and clicking it. Worked! Yay. I really wish MS would quit trying to force us into their non-user friendly programs!
    Now I need to figure out how to get the HP printer to work - I suspect it's the same problem. That is a knot to undo another day.

gmoore436, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I've experienced this 'feature' of W10. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs, select Chrome and set Chrome to all of its defaults. This stores the Chrome default settings which often doesn't work using PC Settings / System / Default Apps. Use the same procedure for other deafult apps which can't be set via PC Settings. MS seems to have some issues in correctly storing the default settings and I don't know why there are two routes for doing this.

Steve C, Jul 27, 2016
  6. I was having the same problem on my Dell XPS 13, the answer turned out to be: on the "default apps" page, where it shows Edge as the default and no other options, click on the browser name it shows (edge) and a new small window pops up where you can select chrome. I just happened upon this by chance but it worked for me.

Peanuthead, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot make Chrome as default browser - Similar Threads - Cannot Chrome default

2. Why can't I make chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't I make chrome my default browser?: When I go Setting > Default Apps > web browser then click on it only microsoft edge and opera pop up. Do I need to reinstall chrome? Am I being an idiot? please help. submitted by /u/puffydefish [link] [comments]...
  3. Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I make Google Chrome the Default browser/how?: When I upgraded to 10Pro, from 10Home- Edge changed from Chrome Default to Edge Default? I Never use Edge, and prefer the Chrome Security features... Is there a reason to make Chrome Default (Sync is On)? If so- How do I do this, and Not get nagged by Edge? 173980
  4. I can't make google chrome my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't make google chrome my default browser: [ATTACH] So I set google chrome to be my default browser but whenever I click the "windows" button and search for something, it goes directly to microsoft edge. I am not sure how to fix that....
  5. How do I make Chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Chrome my default browser?: how do I stop MSN automatically loading up when I connect to the Internet, I have to keep closing it and opening chrome, also when start-up my computer doesn't automatically connect to the Internet, I have to keep man,ually connecting it though I've ticked the box...
  6. How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Chrome default browser in Windows 10: I am not getting the way to set Chrome as default browser permanently. Just give the steps to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-chrome-default-browser-in-windows-10/90038208-eac7-4935-92a3-9bb0e17f6cc8
  7. how does one make Chrome the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    how does one make Chrome the default browser: I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will still open up Microsoft Edge. The question for today is ... how does one stop an attachment file stubbornly opening up Edge...
  8. Make Chrome the default browser in start-search

in Browsers and Email
    Make Chrome the default browser in start-search: How do I make Google Chrome (rather the Edge) as the default search engine when do a Start - search request? 94202
  9. Had to make CHROME my Default Browser in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Had to make CHROME my Default Browser in Windows 10: I used the free Windows 10 upload from Microsoft to update my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 was working great, then all of a sudden a couple of days ago, I kept getting fatal error messages, my computer was connected to the Internet but programs kept...
  10. Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge: Hello & Thanks , Can't make Chrome default browser, only msEdge . When in Chrome and I click make chrome default , nothing happens . And Edge won't let go . How to fix . Thanks...Vern 35805