Windows 10: Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries

Discus and support Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I go to Windows-Key>Power>Sleep, the display shuts off, but the hard drive continues to spin. I have the Automatic Power Settings to kick in after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kevin Phillips, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries

When I go to Windows-Key>Power>Sleep, the display shuts off, but the hard drive continues to spin. I have the Automatic Power Settings to kick in after 10 minutes, but that doesn't work either. When I manually issue the Sleep command a second time, that DOES work, putting the display and PC to Sleep. WHY won't it work the first time? Thanks!

:)

Kevin Phillips, Jun 8, 2021
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jun 8, 2021
  3. larrymcg Win User
    Win10 PC Won't Sleep Anymore

Win10 64bit V1903 with all published updates. Some weeks ago (maybe even longer) my PC stopped going to sleep after the specified time. I am setting the times in Power & Sleep. I have the screen set to turn off after an hour (and it does) and the PC to sleep after 2 hours but it doesn't. It used to. I have changed the sleep timer several times but that hasn't helped.

I've looked at Device Management to see anything suspicious there but not sure what to look for.

Suggestions on what to look for?

-- Larry

larrymcg, Jun 8, 2021
  4. Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries

Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jun 8, 2021
Thema:

Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries

1. Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries - Similar Threads - Cannot manually put

2. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  3. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  4. ntoskrnl.exe BSOD after I manually put PC to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntoskrnl.exe BSOD after I manually put PC to sleep: As the title says, I'm getting BSOD from, according to BlueScreenView, ntoskrnl.exe. I've scoured the internet for hours the past few days. It's been blue screening pretty much every time I MANUALLY put it to sleep now and it's gotten significantly worse over the past day....
  5. ntoskrnl.exe BSOD after I manually put PC to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl.exe BSOD after I manually put PC to sleep: As the title says, I'm getting BSOD from, according to BlueScreenView, ntoskrnl.exe. I've scoured the internet for hours the past few days. It's been blue screening pretty much every time I MANUALLY put it to sleep now and it's gotten significantly worse over the past day....
  6. ntoskrnl.exe BSOD after I manually put PC to sleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Manually put a program to sleep WITHOUT making PC sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Manually put a program to sleep WITHOUT making PC sleep?: Is there any way to manually put a traditional program, not modern Store app, to sleepwithout putting Windows PC to sleep? and be able to open the sleeping program and find it in the same state as before sleep....
  8. I can only manually put my PC to sleep or hibernate.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can only manually put my PC to sleep or hibernate.: I have the latest clean installation of windows 10 running and auto-sleep/hibernate no longer works. The screen shuts down but the computer lights and fans are still on and spinning. If I put it to sleep manually everything works perfect. In fact, all of my three computers...
  9. Putting the screen to sleep manually?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Putting the screen to sleep manually?: Years ago I use to have an app that would let me put the screen to sleep simply by moving the cursor to any corner of the screen (for privacy). Recently someone (here?) gave me a command (it may have been a sortcut, or seperate app) that would tell Windows to do this. I had...
  10. Bootup Takes Two Tries

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootup Takes Two Tries: I have a strange anomaly with my HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx Entertainment Notebook that had Windows 8.1installed. When I started bootup, it got so far and froze up. I had to do a hard shutdown. On the second try, the laptop starts, but takes an inordinately long time to get to...