Windows 10: Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Discus and support Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheArtfulDodger, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Hello:

Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would bring up a system dialog box wherein I could select a drive letter and choose to always map on boot.

Now, the explorer doesn't list it at all! I can type 'net use Z: "\\Our1stNASServer\Our Shared Folders"' into an Admin cmd window and that partially maps the drive (only 2 out of about 10 folders); the drive still doesn't show up in Explorer, either on the right side or the left!

I am snookered! I hope someone can help me - I spend a good percentage of my time trying to correct this problem!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

:)

TheArtfulDodger, Jan 7, 2019
  2. NDarkstar Win User

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Jan 7, 2019
  3. dld44 Win User
    Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Huh?

Let me restate the problem, a bit more simply. Since at least Windows XP through Windows 8.1, using Windows Explorer you are able to open the Network View, expand a displayed computer, right click on a drive or folder that has been set up as shared under the displayed computer, select "Map Network Drive...", assign a drive letter using the "Drive" drop-down menu, select "Reconnect at logon", and !wow! you have a mapped network drive that shows up every time you start up your computer as long as that network drive is accessible on the network. You can do this also with Windows 10, just as with the earlier OS levels.

But with Windows 10, on my SP3, those mappings sometimes disappear from Windows Explorer after the SP3 is awakened from sleep. To get to them again with Windows Explorer as mapped network drives, I must repeat the mapping operation, just like in the paragraph above. But unlike with the original mapping, the drive assignments still show up like I had set them previously under the "Map Network Drive..." dialog in the list of drive letter possibilities that show up when the "Drive:" drop-down menu is expanded. (As an aside, this means that I don't have to remember the drive letter I had previously used when remapping them, which makes it a bit easier to do.)
    DaveD

dld44, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Try3 Win User

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Without SMB, how do we map a network drive?

Even without SMB, open File explorer and select This PC. In the FE ribbon, select the 'Computer' tab.

Click on 'Map network drive' then again in its dropdown list and you can then just follow the wizard through.

You can also access network drives without mapping them. In FE's address bar type in the network folder address you want such as \\NetworkComputerName\SharedFolderName

Denis

Try3, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

1. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot Map Network

2. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  3. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  4. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  5. Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer

Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer: Why aren't Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer and how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-network-drive-not-showing-in-file-explorer/d3932ee6-2c7d-4ff5-90b6-ff7c596ddc2f
  6. Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Windows Explorer copy to mapped network drive: I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange: Windows Explorer: Error J: is...
  7. Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive

Window Explorer copy to mapped network drive: I have a strage issue after a fileserver migration (to Windows Server 2016). Only one share is involved - so fare. When I try to copy a file from local disk to the mapped drive (J: \\Servername\sharename) in any subdirectory it is strange: Windows Explorer: Error J: is...
  8. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  9. I cannot delete a mapped network drive.

I cannot delete a mapped network drive.: I use Windows 10 Version 1809 in VirtualBox on Linux Mint. I already disconnected "My_files", but it re-appears each time I re-log in. I tried mountvol /r and net use D: /delete, but it still re-appears although it actually cannot be accessed. What should I do? 124882
  10. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...