Windows 10: Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

Discus and support Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Recently I have built a desktop computer with windows 10 on it. I had planned to migrate the product key from an old laptop I had been using to the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cole Dakers, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

Recently I have built a desktop computer with windows 10 on it. I had planned to migrate the product key from an old laptop I had been using to the new desktop. This is not the first time I've done this.When migrating the digital product key, I realized that the laptop was signed in under a different Microsoft account as administrator. This account is also signed in under 2 other devices that have valid product keys. I have a different Microsoft account that I would like to use as administrator, however I can't get the product key attached tho the other account, currently signed in as admin on

:)

Cole Dakers, Feb 23, 2023
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

If you plan on "transferring" a digital license from one computer to another using the activation troubleshooter and your Microsoft Account, then yes, start with the generic product key on the new computer. Actually, on a new install, you select the option for "I don't have a product key" and then after the install use the Activation Troubleshooter.

Otherwise, if you are using a unique product key, either purchased or embedded in the firmware of the computer by the factory - let Windows 10/11 activate for the first time from that product key. AFTER it is activated, change the product key to the generic. One advantage to doing this is that if the original product key was OEM, changing it to the generic retail product key will also change the digital license type to retail and make it transferrable to another computer.

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2023
  3. ReB900 Win User
    Digital product key

I mgrated from [by force] from windows 8 to windows 10 sgle home language. I did not received a digital product licence key. I am experiencing some blue screen trouble. Where do I find my digital licence key or must I buy Windows 10 again after the migration?

ReB900, Feb 23, 2023
  4. Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

Thank you for the insight
    That's interesting. So you are suggesting after I make my next clone, I enter a generic product key in windows activation and THEN follow up with purchasing (or transferring) a digital license? Do I understand you correctly? If so, I'll try that on my next build.

It is possible. My only experience seeing it not cleared up in an hour (besides, of course, having the wrong time on my machine or a truly faulty connection) was many years ago. When I contacted Microsoft, they were able to diagnose that my license wasn't valid but couldn't tell me why. If memory serves me correctly, I attempted to move a license from a windows ten machine that initially was an upgrade from windows seven. I discovered (on this forum) that a windows ten license that was upgraded from windows seven license was not eligible to be transferred to a new machine. And I was not able to purchase a digital license. I needed a product key.

I couldn't find reputable dealers that are still selling retail windows 10 licenses (for example, Best Buy only lists the Spanish version of windows home on their website). But since I just learned that a windows 11 license can be used my concern has been allayed.

WorkPermit, Feb 23, 2023
Thema:

Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

1. Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware. - Similar Threads - Cannot migrate digital

2. Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.: Recently I have built a desktop computer with windows 10 on it. I had planned to migrate the product key from an old laptop I had been using to the new desktop. This is not the first time I've done this.When migrating the digital product key, I realized that the laptop was...
  3. Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot migrate windows digital product key to new hardware.: Recently I have built a desktop computer with windows 10 on it. I had planned to migrate the product key from an old laptop I had been using to the new desktop. This is not the first time I've done this.When migrating the digital product key, I realized that the laptop was...
  4. Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware: I would like to clone the disk of my old Windows 10 PC with a W10pro OEM license to a new PC that also has a W10 pro OEM license. The new PC has not been unboxed yet ;The cloning is not the problem. I did this before with Macrium Reflect or EaseUS and this works as long as...
  5. Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating Windows 10 to new hardware: I would like to clone the disk of my old Windows 10 PC with a W10pro OEM license to a new PC that also has a W10 pro OEM license. The new PC has not been unboxed yet ;The cloning is not the problem. I did this before with Macrium Reflect or EaseUS and this works as long as...
  6. Windows License Product key with new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows License Product key with new hardware: I have a laptop that still in warranty. It came with Windows 10 Home 64b installed. There is a problem in one of the usb ports and maybe the motherboard will get be replaced. Can i use the same activation license or do i need to buy a key? In Settings-->Update &...
  7. Digital product key

Digital product key: I mgrated from [by force] from windows 8 to windows 10 sgle home language. I did not received a digital product licence key. I am experiencing some blue screen trouble. Where do I find my digital licence key or must I buy Windows 10 again after the migration?...
  8. digital product key

digital product key: downloaded free windows 10 home to a usb drive. notebook had win 7 on it. did a clean install. windows telling me it can't find a product key. device is registered to microsoft and is licensed to me...
  9. product key for a new laptop digital license

product key for a new laptop digital license: Hi there, about 5 months ago i paid $99 to upgrade from windows 10 home to pro, then last month my laptop burnt litraly, motherboard gone, today i finally got a new one after a month at dealer, anyway i got this one again with windows 10 home, i need to upgrade it to pro...
  10. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...