Windows 10: Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I...

Discus and support Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. At home I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop (name: DUSKWOOD) and a laptop (name: DRAGONBLIGHT). From the desktop I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cag8f, Nov 24, 2020.

1. /u/cag8f Win User

Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I...

Hi all. At home I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop (name: DUSKWOOD) and a laptop (name: DRAGONBLIGHT). From the desktop I have shared the D drive. The laptop can see the D drive over the network, but if I try to delete a file, it fails saying I do not have permission:

You require permission from DUSKWOOD\Snarl to make changes to this file.

See screenshot here. How can I grant this permission to the laptop?

Of Note

• The Windows user on the laptop is snarl and the Windows user on the desktop is Snarl. The passwords are the same.
    • For many years, this was never an issue. But recently I had to reinstall Windows on the desktop. After I did so, this issue arose.
    • I am the only user on both of these computers, and each Windows user is an admin user.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/cag8f
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cag8f, Nov 24, 2020
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I... :)

Frogger, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Unable to delete a particular folder. Error: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

Windows Edition 10 Version 1809, OS build 18272.1000

After installing the latest creators update I have the following issue. When using Explorer to delete a folder that is not empty I always get this issue: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder." It doesn't matter
    if I just created it or not. I can remove the folder just fine using rmdir <folder> /s /q.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Using explorer create the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c.
    2. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."
    3. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c -works just fine
    4. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b -works just fine
    5. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a -works just fine.

This will also reproduce the issue

1. mkdir c:\users\rob\a
    2. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b
    3. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b\c
    4. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

This is a new behavior and is causing some build tools to fail.

Thanks,

Rob

***Title modified from Windows Explorer Permissions Isuse***

Rob.Kreger, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I...

How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Create folders / append data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Delete
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I...

1. Cannot modify folder over network--Windows says I require permission to do so. How do I... - Similar Threads - Cannot modify folder

2. How do I modify the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I modify the context menu: Greetings,How do I modify the right click context menu?There are so many options it is cluttered.I have tried various solutions, but none seem to work.edit right click menu windows 11 - Google SearchThanks,WV-Mike...
  3. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  4. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get permission to a folder?: I reseted my laptop and now this drive that I used more has backed up or something and I can't acces it, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-permission-to-a-folder/3fc13414-6e39-4a7e-8c33-acbf8cb79420
  5. How do I get permission to a folder?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. How do I share folders over a specific network?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I share folders over a specific network?: Every guide that I've seen about network sharing is written on the assumption that I am on private network that I have full admin control over, however this is not the case. I'm trying to allow file sharing with a friend and another one of my own computers using a wired...
  7. How do I fix this so it says “Yes”?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I fix this so it says “Yes”?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_dont_know_2000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hemw1j/how_do_i_fix_this_so_it_says_yes/
  8. How do I restore Temp folder permissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I restore Temp folder permissions: Hi! I have been experiencing some problems with my computer lately. After some research, I think I have found the root of the issue. My temp folder (the user temp folder, not the windows one) appears to have its permissions changed. I have seen all of the folders within...
  9. How do I share folders over wifi between PC's in the same network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I share folders over wifi between PC's in the same network.: This may seem a silly question but I just can't get it to work. I tried to turn off/on anything that could possibly block access but still no luck: I turned on network discovery I made the network private I turned off password protected sharing I shared the folders to...
  10. How Do I Rename a File tat Requires Special Permission?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Rename a File tat Requires Special Permission?: I cant rename MAPI32.DLL. When I try to I get a message saying: "you require permission from trustedinstaller to make changes to this file." How do I get permission? 83579